Clinical Science PhD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted427955

Recently stumbled upon Berkeley's Clinical Science Psychology PhD: http://psychology.berkeley.edu/research/clinical-science
I have never heard of a "Clinical Science" program or degree. How exactly does this differ from Clinical Psychology? If anyone has some inside information about this program would love to hear it. There is a professor there who would be a great match for me research wise.

Members don't see this ad.

In brief, they are more research focused than most phd programs that are based on the scientist-practitioner model. As of laate (Delaware Conference) clinical training also changing and is more focused on provision of EBTs only, as well as program development and evaluation.

It is a degree in clinical psychology. Clinical science is a description of the training model, which emphasizes research and particular models/approaches that are viewed as more scientific.

A little warning about finding somebody who seems like a perfect research match early: it can be a real let down when you later find out that they are not taking a student the next year. I had to cross a lot of schools off my list because the professors I wanted to work with were not. It's good to identify people early but know that a slot to work with them may not be available any given year.