Clinical Simulation Center Volunteering: Nonclinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endoxifen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was offered the chance to volunteer in the clinical simulation center of a medical school. It sounded really interesting, so I took it, but I'm unsure how to classify it?

Additionally, how would you classify recording and transferring patient charts into a clinical database? It's not research and I am volunteering, but I can't smell patients. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I was offered the chance to volunteer in the clinical simulation center of a medical school. It sounded really interesting, so I took it, but I'm unsure how to classify it?

2) Additionally, how would you classify recording and transferring patient charts into a clinical database? It's not research and I am volunteering, but I can't smell patients. Thanks!
1) Not clinical, but a very interesting experience.

2) Not clinical. If it's not research, it's probably still being done for a special project and has a place on your application. What is its purpose?

1) Not clinical, but a very interesting experience.

2) Not clinical. If it's not research, it's probably still being done for a special project and has a place on your application. What is its purpose?

1) So how would you classify the simulation center? Is it "nonclinical" like other types of volunteering or is it other?

2) Maybe I should have been more specific. The database isn't for my research. But it is used for research. The database is a collection of all cases of a specific type of brain tumor. I do my research in the department and they needed some help. Because I had the clearance, I decided to help out. Most times, I wouldn't list something like this, but it's going to take me ~25 hours and it is volunteering for the department .

Members don't see this ad :)
1) So how would you classify the simulation center? Is it "nonclinical" like other types of volunteering or is it other?

2) Maybe I should have been more specific. The database isn't for my research. But it is used for research. The database is a collection of all cases of a specific type of brain tumor. I do my research in the department and they needed some help. Because I had the clearance, I decided to help out. Most times, I wouldn't list something like this, but it's going to take me ~25 hours and it is volunteering for the department .
1) I would classify it as Volunteer - Not Medical/Clinical, as you are not in contact with (real) patients.

2) If you have a clear idea of the purpose and construction of the research project for which you are volunteering your efforts (namely the hypothesis, methods, etc., then you are engaging in "research", whether or not you are still there when the data is analyzed and a conclusion reached. If you don't know how the project has been laid out, and want to "count" it as Research, ask the PI for a copy of the initial proposal. The description or title of the activity can make it apparent that you volunteered.

Reactions: 1 user
1) I would classify it as Volunteer - Not Medical/Clinical, as you are not in contact with (real) patients.

2) If you have a clear idea of the purpose and construction of the research project for which you are volunteering your efforts (namely the hypothesis, methods, etc., then you are engaging in "research", whether or not you are still there when the data is analyzed and a conclusion reached. If you don't know how the project has been laid out, and want to "count" it as Research, ask the PI for a copy of the initial proposal. The description or title of the activity can make it apparent that you volunteered.

Thank you, you've helped a lot.