MSW Clinical Social Work Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makingmoves2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Morning! Is anyone in a clinical social work program? I was hoping to get into occupational therapy school but I didn't so I'm looking into a clinical social work program at Newman University. I was wondering will Clinical Social Work be a better fit or not. I want to become a OT but the applying process is competitive, expensive, and draining. I was wondering how the job market is? Do social workers make at least 50,000 a year. I'm looking to join the Air Force to go in as an officer. Please tell me.

Members don't see this ad.

Why clinical social work? You said you wanted to be an occupational therapist; if you didn't get in what do you hope to accomplish on that front by getting into an MSW program? They are two very different jobs.

Last edited:
Why clinical social work? You said you wanted to be an occupational therapist; if you didn't get in what do you hope to accomplish on that from by getting into an MSW program? They are two very different jobs.
I did the pros and cons with occupational therapy. I know I can get into Creighton University but the tuition will cost me 100,000 for the whole program or maybe more. The social work program cost is 30,000 and I can make that easily by joining the Air Force as an officer. I want to work with the military family since I come form one. Occupational therapist make 70,000 dollars but to have 100,000 in student loans. My fear is I wont pass occupational therapy school since I hear a lot of students failing out since its hard. I'm not smart to began with so…..

Members don't see this ad :)
You can absolutely make a great living as an officer in the however, it is extremely competitive to get commisioned. Since you mentioned AF, there is a FB group germane to AF SW'rs that you can check out. There is also one for military SW. I personally think that you are putting the cart before the horse by delving too deep into these because I am not certain you have your mind wrapped around what SW embodies, let alone military SW.
As WesleySmith asked, why clinical SW? A lot of us who are in it/going to school for it, have a passion for it and your post makes it seems as if its an afterthought (or a convinience).If I am wrong please correct me.

To answer your previous question, SW'rs can make $50,000. Again, the demand for SW'rs in the military is waning. I have aggressively pursued this route for the past three years and have talked to recruiters from three branches.
If you can get into Creighton, I am sure you are smart :) I hate to see you speak negatively about yourself. Would you want your clients (whether your a SW or OT) to participate in negative self talk?

Lastly, there are OT's in the Navy and I would venture to guess that they are in the other branches as well. Just a thought. I am posting from my phone so please forgive my scattered thoughts

Do you mean undermanned....I know the Navy is looking for social workers....I believe I will go in anyways...it seems like everything is competitive....I have a bachelors degree in health service management....and I can't find a job it's been 2 years almost 3. I know people who are social workers. I always hear the negative side of Social work. I'm already accepted into the social work program so I'm content with that. Applying to occupational therapist school was stressful and expensive. OT ' S make 80,0000 a year but to have 150,000 in student loans isn't worth it to me. So I decided to do social work.

I would stick with the OT bit; the salary has gone up 14% in the past 23 hours alone! Although, on the flip side, the cost of attending school has risen precisely 50%, so you need to watch out for that.. :p but seriously, I'm just going to put this out there, you have yet to say why you want to be a social worker other than because OT school is tough and competitive and stressful to apply to. I don't think it would be wise to spend two years and who knows how much money in grad school as a random fallback. Social work can be a very stressful field and shouldn't be entered into just 'cause, especially if you find applying to school in and of itself stressful. If you want to work with military families then social work would be an excellent avenue to do just that, I would just make sure that you want to work with said families as a social worker before you commit time and money towards the wrong career. Just my two cents...

I would stick with the OT bit; the salary has gone up 14% in the past 23 hours alone! Although, on the flip side, the cost of attending school has risen precisely 50%, so you need to watch out for that.. :p but seriously, I'm just going to put this out there, you have yet to say why you want to be a social worker other than because OT school is tough and competitive and stressful to apply to. I don't think it would be wise to spend two years and who knows how much money in grad school as a random fallback. Social work can be a very stressful field and shouldn't be entered into just 'cause, especially if you find applying to school in and of itself stressful. If you want to work with military families then social work would be an excellent avenue to do just that, I would just make sure that you want to work with said families as a social worker before you commit time and money towards the wrong career. Just my two cents...
I want to work with military families because I work with military children since 2005. I feel like I'm very familiar with the military lifestyle since my father was in the military. Yeah I applied to OT school last year and it was expensive and stressful. It's always easier said then done. I'm not a competitive applicant so what if I apply this year and don't get in that's another year that I let flew by. I love OT don't get me wrong. I feel like if I'm going to spend six figures on education…then I should be a specialized doctor. Social work has always been my backup plan. I want to work with military families or at the VA. I know students who got in OT school but couldn't pass the boards. It will be a crying shame if I went to OT school and paid all that money and can't pass the boards…..they will be devasting…..I'm just being real…..its the truth….sorry

I don't live in a state that has a lot OT school…..That is something to consider. I'm not going to leave a job to go OT school in a different state…..

I know students who got in OT school but couldn't pass the boards. It will be a crying shame if I went to OT school and paid all that money and can't pass the boards…..they will be devasting…..I'm just being real…..its the truth….sorry

You don't need to apologize to me (or anyone for that matter) for this decision; I'm not trying to harp on you, I'm just curious as to what it is about an MSW that appeals to you. So far you've spoken about it like a consolation prize as though you're settling for it.

Last edited:
i am currently attending school for my MSW and before, i wanted to go to OT school (but as luck would have it ... i ended up going for my MSW). the MSW program may be cheaper than the OT program, but they are two different paths (like what others were saying). the MSW does have the capability of working with military families, but from what your reason is.. you may want to think about whether you really want to pursue a degree in social work. it is an intense program and pay is not high, but people do not become social workers for the money.

either way, good luck to you. if you do decide on social work, be open to what you can learn... you may end up doing something different that still ties into social work.

i am currently attending school for my MSW and before, i wanted to go to OT school (but as luck would have it ... i ended up going for my MSW). the MSW program may be cheaper than the OT program, but they are two different paths (like what others were saying). the MSW does have the capability of working with military families, but from what your reason is.. you may want to think about whether you really want to pursue a degree in social work. it is an intense program and pay is not high, but people do not become social workers for the money.

either way, good luck to you. if you do decide on social work, be open to what you can learn... you may end up doing something different that still ties into social work.
OT is an intense program also……I'm doing the social work program part time so I can work. OT programs your are taking 12 credit hours each semester. I'm just saying in my situation…I don't want to pay a lot of money for a program and can't pass the boards…Oh man you guys sound like social work is the kiss of death……yikes……I believe nurses don't make a lot of money unless they are a nurse practitioner….I have friends who are nurses, physical therapist, and occupational therapist. I did my research…….

All of those professions make more money than social workers, even a bachelor level nurse (at least they have the potential for a higher salary). As far as credits per semester, my MSW is 15 and stands to be very time consuming (it's grad school); it just depends if you go full-time or not. Social work is not the kiss of death, haha, you just haven't once, no matter how much it's been pointed out, stated something you are passionate about or even interested in in the field (besides working with military family's) so we're just trying to be helpful. You stated at the beginning you wanted to know if clinical social work would be a better fit or not, but so far you've provided us with no information as to what your interests or career goals are (again, other than "working with military families") so we are trying to make it painfully obvious that you will not get rich in the field, not by a long shot, and so you had better have a strong desire to do the work. Are you interested in being a case worker at the VA? Providing psychotherapy to veterans? What is it you hope to do after graduation as a military social worker? I don't know much about the military aspect, but as you can tell from other responses, people like submarine can help you with that. I'm just making sure you know what you're getting into and why, and hopefully, if asked, answer some of your questions along the way to help you figure it out.

Reactions: 1 user
All of those professions make more money than social workers, even a bachelor level nurse (at least they have the potential for a higher salary). As far as credits per semester, my MSW is 15 and stands to be very time consuming (it's grad school); it just depends if you go full-time or not. Social work is not the kiss of death, haha, you just haven't once, no matter how much it's been pointed out, stated something you are passionate about or even interested in in the field (besides working with military family's) so we're just trying to be helpful. You stated at the beginning you wanted to know if clinical social work would be a better fit or not, but so far you've provided us with no information as to what your interests or career goals are (again, other than "working with military families") so we are trying to make it painfully obvious that you will not get rich in the field, not by a long shot, and so you had better have a strong desire to do the work. Are you interested in being a case worker at the VA? Providing psychotherapy to veterans? What is it you hope to do after graduation as a military social worker? I don't know much about the military aspect, but as you can tell from other responses, people like submarine can help you with that. I'm just making sure you know what you're getting into and why, and hopefully, if asked, answer some of your questions along the way to help you figure it out.
I'm aware of the salary. 80,000 a year isn't consider rich also....I just feel like I'm being attacked.

I would just like to add my two sense: although social workers have the reputation for not making money, it is very possible to make a very, very, good living. My main concern going in was that I wouldn't make enough money but after sitting down with many psychologist, psychiatrist, marriage and family therapist and social workers and talking to them about the income potential of a social worker who markets him or herself correctly, I have found that those who want to make a good living can do so. I spoke first hand to therapists in the field who were charging $150-$250 an hour with waiting lists. This was not one or two therapists, this was after a bit of asking around I came across quite a few of whom were doing extremely well. Yes, if you want to work in a hospital or non-profit clinic etc. you will limit yourself but don't think the opportunity is not out there to make a very good living doing what you love.

Reactions: 1 users
I would just like to add my two sense: although social workers have the reputation for not making money, it is very possible to make a very, very, good living. My main concern going in was that I wouldn't make enough money but after sitting down with many psychologist, psychiatrist, marriage and family therapist and social workers and talking to them about the income potential of a social worker who markets him or herself correctly, I have found that those who want to make a good living can do so. I spoke first hand to therapists in the field who were charging $150-$250 an hour with waiting lists. This was not one or two therapists, this was after a bit of asking around I came across quite a few of whom were doing extremely well. Yes, if you want to work in a hospital or non-profit clinic etc. you will limit yourself but don't think the opportunity is not out there to make a very good living doing what you love.
That's very encouraging, the statistics/job postings (indeed and the like) can be a bit depressing sometimes.

EDIT: Found this <http://workforce.socialworkers.org/studies/profiles/Private Practice Solo and Group.pdf>
Double Edit: for some reason the link doesn't work, copy and paste it into a search engine.

Last edited:
MakingMoves, you said you got into the program already. Were you able to attend any info sessions, speak to current students/alums, or anybody in admissions? I feel that some of your original questions could have been answered already. I assume you wrote a compelling statement of purpose in order to be admitted to the school... your passion or drive for social work is just not coming across clearly here. You stated that you love OT and SW is a backup plan. That simply doesn't bode well with some people. If you go through previous threads, my colleagues and I have vested interests in this field and are not trying to attack you, just gather information to aid you in this decision.
Again, my experience with talking to recruiters and AD folks (AF, Army, Navy) is that all of the branches are overmanned and that internship spots (for unlicensed/non-independent) SW'rs are extremely competitive and scarce. The alternative route is to seek a commission once you are licensed (after two years). Again, this is all putting the cart before the carriage. You are jumping from one field to another and they are completely unrelated. Your question was would clinical SW be a better fit or not. From what you have provided thus far, I would say no.

Keeping in mind your desire to work with military families,have you looked into becoming a MFT or LPC? I know two MFT's that work at the VA, and I know that the DoD employs folks with both of the degrees.
I hesitate to suggest this because you seem to have angst regarding time and just want to start a grad program already

Keeping in mind your desire to work with military families,have you looked into becoming a MFT or LPC? I know two MFT's that work at the VA, and I know that the DoD employs folks with both of the degrees.
I hesitate to suggest this because you seem to have angst regarding time and just want to start a grad program already
I just feel attack. I'm sorry! I know someone personally who is a social worker. I don't know what esle to say…….

I apologize if I made you feel like you were being attacked. Feel free to ask any other questions, in the meantime I will refrain from commenting

OT is an intense program also……I'm doing the social work program part time so I can work. OT programs your are taking 12 credit hours each semester. I'm just saying in my situation…I don't want to pay a lot of money for a program and can't pass the boards…Oh man you guys sound like social work is the kiss of death……yikes……I believe nurses don't make a lot of money unless they are a nurse practitioner….I have friends who are nurses, physical therapist, and occupational therapist. I did my research……..

i never said that OT wasn't an intense program, but you were asking about social work which i did try to answer. my intention was not to attack you (i did not get that impression from the others that have responded as well). i do apologize if it came across that way. i suppose when you are in the middle of getting thoughts on something, it might be difficult to be objective about it because it can feel one against a group of people. you are the one who is going to make the decision and not people on an online forum so if you are sure, then definitely go for it. like i said at the very end, good luck to you either way and hope you are able to find success in social work. :)