Clinical Training - Yale and Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbr2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to comment on the clinical aptitude (skills, enthusiasm, etc), either perceived or actual, of the students coming from Yale or Hopkins into residency (any specialty). I'm trying to get a feel for how the differences in their teaching methods affect the type of clinicians they produce.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hopkins has outstanding clinical training that is, in my opinion, second to none. Of course, this is the only place that I've been a medical student, but in all honesty, I feel that the clinical years at Hopkins are truly outstanding.

pbr2003 said:
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to comment on the clinical aptitude (skills, enthusiasm, etc), either perceived or actual, of the students coming from Yale or Hopkins into residency (any specialty). I'm trying to get a feel for how the differences in their teaching methods affect the type of clinicians they produce.

Thanks!

Hopkins Hospital is better, Yale students freely admit that. That being said, I got the impression that the clinical training at Yale is also great and it is likely they actually let you do a bit more than Hopkins ... although that is unconfirmed. The Yale match list was slightly better than Hopkins this year, IMO if that tells you anything. More than anything your residency training determins the type of clinician you will be.

JH

If it's any help, I've been told by doctors at Hopkins that the medical students don't get as much responsibility at Hopkins in the clinical years as they would at other schools. They made it seem like they really baby the med students in 3rd and 4th years.

Yale and U Chicago are not as good of hospitals, but they're both inner city trauma centers that give medical students a lot of responsibility during the clinical years.

mdmike24 said:
If it's any help, I've been told by doctors at Hopkins that the medical students don't get as much responsibility at Hopkins in the clinical years as they would at other schools. They made it seem like they really baby the med students in 3rd and 4th years.

More lies. cite your source please.

I know more faculty AND more med students at Hopkins than you do, and they beg to differ.

I'm prepared to give names. Please do the same.

mdmike24 said:
Yale and U Chicago are not as good of hospitals, but they're both inner city trauma centers that give medical students a lot of responsibility during the clinical years.

Yale and U of C not good hospitals? They are excellent hospitals.
Getting a lot of responsibility is a good thing. The more responsibility you get and the more you do in your clinical years, the more comfortable you will be with sick patients, and the more you will learn. Being babied, and not being allowed to care for your own patient's is not a good way to learn.
The more procedures you learn as a student the better in my opinion.Thirds years should know how to do simple things: venipuncture, IV placement, EKG, NG tube placement, Foley placement, ABG's, etc......If they are competent, I will even let them try to do a femoral central line, LP's, abdominal paracentesis, thoracentesis, lac repairs and arterial lines. I try to avoid them doing neck lines (IJ and subclavian) till they can do a femoral line without any difficulty (techinique is key and knowledge of the procedure is key). Another thing all students should do is participate in codes, and get their fare share of compressions. The dummy just isn't the same as a real person. Procedures are a learning process as much as the book learning.

MacGyver--what in GOd's name is wrong with you? Every post I ever read from you is belligerent and hostile, and you are always threatening people just because they offer an opposing viewpoint. Get used to it, big guy--people are always gonna disagree with you, and--gasp--they may even be right some of the time (if there is even a right answer). So, quit being such a brat, and grow up. I have no idea what level of training you have attained, but let's hope there are still a few weeding out stages before you make it to "MD".
Maybe you jus tneed a hug...or....

Benjo said:
MacGyver--what in GOd's name is wrong with you? Every post I ever read from you is belligerent and hostile, and you are always threatening people just because they offer an opposing viewpoint. Get used to it, big guy--people are always gonna disagree with you, and--gasp--they may even be right some of the time (if there is even a right answer). So, quit being such a brat, and grow up. I have no idea what level of training you have attained, but let's hope there are still a few weeding out stages before you make it to "MD".
Maybe you jus tneed a hug...or....
He's a pre-clinical MD/PhD student working on his PhD part right now.

Comments from the peanut gallery are not exactly something I give a lot of weight to usually, but this time I'll make an exception because there is blatant misinformation going on here.

Threatening someone would be a violation of TOS and you are lying when you say I threatened someone. I defy you to quote me where I have issued a threat to anyone on this board.

I'm a rising fourth year at Yale and I feel that YNHH is a good place to train, as is the local VA. In general, I have been given as much responsibility as I was willing to accept and allowed to do more than I expected. For example, I've done central lines, ABGs, draws, etc. to the point that I feel pretty confident in most of them. YNHH is no MGH, but it is a good place to be a student.
Pd

Partialdoctor said:
I'm a rising fourth year at Yale and I feel that YNHH is a good place to train, as is the local VA. In general, I have been given as much responsibility as I was willing to accept and allowed to do more than I expected. For example, I've done central lines, ABGs, draws, etc. to the point that I feel pretty confident in most of them. YNHH is no MGH, but it is a good place to be a student.
Pd

hey do you know "Roshen"(sp?) or "Ali" (sp?), rising 4th years, or Tito (who's going to UCSF for residency)?

i was trying to get in touch with any of them to ask about the clinical years and it's quite unfortunate that i wasn't able to do so ..