Clinical volunteer experience in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharpies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm going to be in NY (Manhattan) for the summer for a summer research program. While I'm there, I figure I would take advantage of the fact that there are all these great hospitals and medical schools in the area. Can you guys suggest any good volunteering/physician shadowing programs (w/ maybe 4-8 hrs of weekly commitment) that you have heard of? If you have participated in one, I would really appreciate your input!

I've already browsed through some of the volunteer websites for the hospitals, but many of them require about 20 hours/week :eek: for summer volunteers which I can't commit to because I'll already be doing research.

One specific program I've been looking at is the Columbia Academic Associates Program: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/aap/application.html. I'm not sure that they have a summer session, so if you guys know anything about it, please let me know! Also, if you know any other pre-med targeted programs like this one that I might not find by just googling "volunteering + the hospital name", let me know too!

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make you sure contact the hospitals EARLY! Many high school students fill up the summer spots...plus it takes time for interviewing + orientation. It took me almost 3 months after my initial contact to actually start volunteering.

Make you sure contact the hospitals EARLY! Many high school students fill up the summer spots...plus it takes time for interviewing + orientation. It took me almost 3 months after my initial contact to actually start volunteering.

This is true. If you speak another language fluently, this is a HUGE plus in getting in as a volunteer in NYC.

Thanks for the tips! Have any of you volunteered while also doing full-time summer research? Think it's feasible?

(I also actually want to enjoy my time in NYC)

New York Presbyterian seems to have some good volunteer opps. Or maybe a community health center? If you are into API health, look at the Charles B Wang Health Center.

It is totally possible to do both. Most hospitals have either a 4 or 8 hour minimum weekly commitment which should be doable assuming your research gig isn't insane. That slot will also likely be on a set schedule so that makes things easy to plan out.

As mentioned above, going through the entire process of background check (at some), orientation, making sure you have all your medical paperwork done etc. etc. usually takes between 4-8 weeks. One thing you can do is to make sure all your shots are up to date and you have the related documentation.

You might want to consider your housing is, where you research is and base the hospitals you want to target on that.