1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

clinical volunteer opportunities

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by nkg123, Aug 9, 2001.

1. nkg123

nkg123 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello everyone.
    I am an applicant for medical school right now, and I was wanting to get some good clinical exposure during this year. It's been two years since I graduated college, and so I haven't gotten any clinical exposure lately, since I've been working for the past two years.
    What kinds of things have people done? I'm looking for ideas I can explore, and if any of you respondents are in the Houston area, I'd like to know of any good clinics where I can get to see things and learn. Any info is appreciated. Thank you.

--nkg

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 12R34Y

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Free health clinics always love volunteers. you'll probably take vitals, histories, and assist the docs or nurses. Go to a hospital and ask if they have ER volunteers. I'm sure there are more.

later

4. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

You can always ask individual docs if you can shadow them. If you e-mail or call enough of them, one of them is bound to say ok. Also, a lot of docs in academic centers do research and could always use some free labor, you might be able to get some good research and clinical experience and a good letter of rec. all with one stone that way.

5. e2k

e2k Member
    7+ Year Member

My recommendation: If you have time, do a First Responder or EMT certification and work on an ambulance or in an ER.

Volunteering in most wards gets boring fast unless you have interesting responsibilities. No one will let you do anything in most hospitals in the U.S.

Shadowing is good, but you don't really understand enough before med school to get a lot out of it.

Work in a free clinic as a volunteer. You usually get a lot more freedom and responsibilities, and it's more satisfying.

Good luck

6. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

what are free clinics? I thought it was just me who always got bored volunteering at hospitals.. even in ER. or i thought maybe i wasn't that interested in clinical medicine because i got bored volunteering. Shadowing been nice, but yeah, if i understood more, it would mean more. Use whatever experience you're doing, as also a way to meet doctors, nurses, etc, and talk to them, and learn what you can.

7. kc361

kc361 Member
    10+ Year Member

I think you really need to shop around to find a volunteer position that suits you...experiences can be very different depending on the program. I was fortunate enough to have a placement within the play department on the cardiac and respiratory wards of a children's hospital this summer; to be honest, if I'd just gone through the volunteer program instead of Play Services, I would not have had such an enriching experience. I was able to work very closely with patients day to day, even as far as holding their hands when they went into the OR or were given blood tests or injections.
    Just think about your specific interests, and then shop around...I'm sure you'll find something rewarding!

8. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

I would recommend doing something that interests you..don't do something just to put it on your application.
    I do Hospice volunteer for personal reasons...
    Find something that touches you personally..go with it..enjoy...