• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
  • Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Oct 12, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi all, I know that exact numbers of volunteering is not concrete, but in terms of clinical experiences, I am listing my experiences and hours. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated so that I have a better understanding about my balance of different clinical experiences when I apply next year.

I spent 150 hours performing Music for patients in Alzheimer's Homes through all of college and even during COVID, I am continuing to play virtual concerts to patients in the ICU and inpatient wards during the pandemic. Both these experiences involve direct patient interaction.

I have 150 hours of Clinical Shadowing.

I have 350 hours swabbing potential donors for bone marrow registries for under-represented populations (Asian and African) patients in need of bone marrow transplantation. I also explained potential donors and patients how to fill out their health forms to facilitate the match process and had a leadership role when facilitating these bone marrow registry drives.

My Undergrad was in Biomedical Engineer and I spent 1800 hours working on surgical robot engineering. As part of my internship, I was when involved in enrolling patients into robot-assisted surgeries and I was with the Surgeons in Pre-Op rooms to explain the robotic surgical assistant and was part of the team to obtain patient consent and was also participating in the OR with Orthopedic Surgeons during the surgeries to provide technical assistance.

A lot of these experiences overlap multiple areas regarding volunteering, shadowing, internships and research.
But overall, these experiences, aside from a separate clinical research experience and a basic science research project involve direct time with clinically relevant experiences.

In terms of the diversity and hours of these experiences, is this decent for medical school? I appreciate all of your help, and if you have any suggestions/comments, I appreciate feedback and input.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all! :)

Oct 12, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Your clinical experiences are outstanding!!!

You do not need to have clinical volunteering, just exposure in whatever form it takes.
Thank you for your kind response Goro, I feel much better hearing your input! Happy Holidays :)

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.