Clinical Volunteering at a Children's Hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superflykid22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently interviewed to volunteer at a Children's hospital this summer. They have a few positions such as emergency room, outpatient clinics, waiting rooms, ambulatory surgery and playroom and crafts. I really would like to volunteer in the playroom because it sounds really fun. Does this count as clinical volunteering because it does not sound too medically related even though there is patient contact? I have to go to another interview later for placement.

Members don't see this ad.

I’d consider this clinical volunteering - it’d pass the LizzyM smell test, at least. You don’t have to be putting in IVs/etc. to do clinical volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did this, it counted as clinical and seemed to go over a well in all my interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
I did this, it counted as clinical and seemed to go over a well in all my interviews.
Did you have other clinical volunteering positions in other departments as well? I am worried I would not have enough exposure to how a hospital runs in the long term if I just do the playroom.

Did you have other clinical volunteering positions in other departments as well? I am worried I would not have enough exposure to how a hospital runs in the long term if I just do the playroom.

You’ll learn how a hospital runs in MS3-4. I volunteered as a peer educator at a free clinic and was never criticized for not having that knowledge when applying. It’s not necessary when applying to med school.

Reactions: 1 users
my son conducts short science classes to inpatients at Children's hospital and planning to show as clinical volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user