Clinical vs Laboratory Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smcin001

Not So New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been offered a position to work a research group that does clinical trials and other such things. I do plan to take it, but should I also try to do some laboratory research? I am not sure if schools prefer one or the other, or if it is simply different based on the particular school.

Members don't see this ad.

Do whichever matches your career goals. You can't really go wrong either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been offered a position to work a research group that does clinical trials and other such things. I do plan to take it, but should I also try to do some laboratory research? I am not sure if schools prefer one or the other, or if it is simply different based on the particular school.

I do a little bit of clinical and a lot of laboratory. I can't say to which would look better to an ADCOM, but I can give you my own experience. I hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings by saying this, but I found clinical research to methodic and unimaginitive, while SOME bench work can be the most intellectually stimulating thing you've ever had. My experience with bench science is with experimental design and problem solving, and my experience in a clinical trial has been to follow orders and be a monkey in scrubs. ADCOMS are going to think whatever they want to think about what you do. If you think that the clinical environment will give you 1). patient contact 2). reference letters 3). intellectual/beneficial environment...then I'd say go for it. Bench research culture can be really strange and unsocial, so if you think you can squeeze everything you can out of the clinical position...head over there.

Major benefit to clinical is patient exposure.