Clinical vs. Research curriculums?

predentalgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fellow SDNers,

I was wondering if anyone knew which schools are more clinically based, and which ones are more research/PBL based.

I feel like this could be useful information! Especially after Director of MUSoD came to my school and spoke to us about the importance of knowing the curriculums for the schools you applied at interview times.

From what I know,

Marquette University SoD - Clinical
NYU - Clinical
BU - Research (I stand corrected! Thanks @mjzgrk!)

LECOM - PBL.

Anyone else know about other schools and wants to add to this thread?

(I could compile everything at the end and make a list.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
- ASDOH is very clinical based (not so big on research). Has a modular curriculum.
- Case is half clinical, half research (has research opportunities and I think they require students to do some research just for the experience... Someone correct me if I'm wrong). Case also has a hybrid program with traditional lecture and PBL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow SDNers,

I was wondering if anyone knew which schools are more clinically based, and which ones are more research/PBL based.

I feel like this could be useful information! Especially after Director of MUSoD came to my school and spoke to us about the importance of knowing the curriculums for the schools you applied at interview times.

From what I know,

Marquette University SoD - Clinical
NYU - Clinical
BU - Clinical (with APEX)

LECOM - PBL.

Anyone else know about other schools and wants to add to this thread?

(I could compile everything at the end and make a list.)

1) I would like to correct you... BU is big on research according to the admissions director.
2) UMD is clinical

1) I would like to correct you... BU is big on research according to the admissions director.
2) UMD is clinical

Oh, thanks so much! I had no idea! I was on Wikipedia. LOL, probably not the best place to find information. It's always the first choice... thanks for that!

UCLA - research
USC - PBL
UOP - clinical
LLU - clinical

does anyone know if having a strong research background is kind of "bad" for clinical schools? I have an interview for UDM and have research but if they don't focus much on research, should I not mention it?

does anyone know if having a strong research background is kind of "bad" for clinical schools? I have an interview for UDM and have research but if they don't focus much on research, should I not mention it?

I couldn't specifically answer on that. But I also have a very strong research background as well. And it's already mentioned in my AADSAS app, so if the school wants to ask about it, I am sure they will.

Don't think that would be disadvantageous? I mean, why should it be? You've been working so hard, I would only think that shows dedication and determination.

IMO only, though. I don't know if someone has an actual answer to this.

I don't see how it's bad for any kind of school. If anything, having background in research makes you a stronger candidate. I listed on aadsas that being in a molecular biology research lab helped me develop better manual dexterity, which is true when 90% of the time you have to do very careful pipetting.

Indiana University: Use to be heavily PBL/Research. Currently going through a change to slowly phase out PBL, but I think they are keeping it in some small aspect.

Indiana University: Use to be heavily PBL/Research. Currently going through a change to slowly phase out PBL, but I think they are keeping it in some small aspect.

Ya, they are cutting down on PBL big time. Their class of 2018 will have a totally new curriculum. But gota love their strong research program. Its top notch !

I strongly believe having research experience is very important. You wana train people who can both contribute to people's well being directly ( doing procedures) and people who can conduct useful research and add to our previous understandings ( indirectly~ long time contribution). A dentist who has no interest in advancing his/her education in all aspects of dentistry is useless. You have got to learn about new procedures, clinical trials, new materials and etc. Dentistry is a science and science is based on research. Research experience adds value to your application. :thumbup:

I know Pittsburgh has been known to be a great clinical school but recently it has shifted towards more research.

Thanks everyone for contributing. Exams are swamping me now, but I am still trying to organize this information in a table..

Anyone know about Midwestern - AZ and IL?

From what I've gathered:

Clinical - Louisville, Midwestern, ASDOH, Creighton, Temple, Case Western, Tufts, VCU, Maryland, SUNY-Buffalo, Detroit Mercy, UNLV, WesternU (new school, supposed high clinical emphasis), NYU, UOP

Research - UCLA, UCSF, Harvard, UPenn, Michigan, Washington

Mix - UNC, Ohio State, Pitt

Roseman is a new dental school supposedly going to have high clinical strength.

Reactions: 1 user
sorry guys, but what does PBL stand for? I've been trying to figure it out but I just can't seem to find anything to describe it or spell the acronym out? If youguys know can you please reply, thanks.

sorry guys, but what does PBL stand for? I've been trying to figure it out but I just can't seem to find anything to describe it or spell the acronym out? If youguys know can you please reply, thanks.

Problem-based learning :)

From what I've gathered:

Clinical - Louisville, Midwestern, ASDOH, Creighton, Temple, Case Western, Tufts, VCU, Maryland, SUNY-Buffalo, Detroit Mercy, UNLV, WesternU (new school, supposed high clinical emphasis), NYU, UOP

Research - UCLA, UCSF, Harvard, UPenn, Michigan, Washington

Mix - UNC, Ohio State, Pitt

Roseman is a new dental school supposedly going to have high clinical strength.

I wish this thread existed a couple months ago!!

Note: VCU is historically clinical, but from what I understand the school is making an effort to expand its research program with the class of '19.

I wish this thread existed a couple months ago!!

Note: VCU is historically clinical, but from what I understand the school is making an effort to expand its research program with the class of '19.

It did exist a couple months ago... This thread was made last year. Check the dates of the posts lol.