clinical years in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firebird

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that the first two years of med school are mainly bookwork and that the last two years are mainly clinical experience.

But how much do the two mix?

How much clinical experience, in general do you get in the first two years? And how much book work do you end up doing in the last two years of med school?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As with my earlier response to your other post...DEPENDS.

Depends on your school and how much they include clinical work during the first 2 years.

Most medical schools start incorporating clinical medicine during the 1st year. You should arrive on the wards durign 3rd year already knowing how to do a basic H&P.

You WILL have to do book work during your final 2 years; there aren't as many formal didactics usually (ie, not including conferences, grand rounds, etc.) but be aware that you should be reading those Core texts every night!

Hope this helps.

Kimberlicox is right! Sometimes I feel I am reading more now in my third year than I ever did the first two! Other times, it is not so bad. I am enjoying myself now more than I ever did the first two years.

Billie

Logan, WV? I don't suppose you're at Marshall's Medical School, are you?