Clinicals in the US.....with SGU or Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HavanaGuy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anybody has something to share about the clinicals rotations with St. George or Ross.
1. Is one better than the other?
2. Are they done in accredited hospitals that give ni problems later for licensure?
3. Any places to avoid, or to not miss?
4. Do they help with the electives?

Thanks a lot for input.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear HavanaGuy,

I shall be starting a 12 week medicine rotation at Harbor Hospital Center in Baltimore, MD which according to FRIEDA has a limited affiliation with Uni of Maryland and little Johns. This is a community based hospital which offers residency positions in IM and TY if I am not mistaken; however, I will be only able to offer you some insight after I arrive. I beleive the hospitals offered by SGU and Ross are all accredited however that works in the US I do not know. A friend of mine is at Wycroff (mispelled) in New York and says that he is getting tremendous exposure and clinical experience, yet he returns home by 2100 and the doctor overseeing him is mostly just concerned that he show up on time...more later.

Hi Havana Guy,

First I am assuming your Cuban, I am too! Well born to Cuban parents. Well I went to SGU, and I can tell you about my clinical experiences and about SGU clinical rotations. SGU has many affiliated hospitals I don't know if it lists them on the website, and for your 3rd year you have the option of doing all of your rotations at a clinical center, or you can just float through the affiliated hospitals. The main clinical centers where you can do your entire 3rd year except for psych are St. Barnabas in Livingston, NJ along with Newark Beth Israel in Irvington/Newark, St. Michaels in Newark, Monmouth Medical Center in Monmouth, NJ, St. Joseph's in Paterson,NJ, Brooklyn Hospital, Methodist, Maimonides, Brookdale, all in Brooklyn. They also have some centers in Michigan and in California. Then with the affiliates you can always do fourth year electives and sub-Is there. I went and did my 3rd year at St. Barnabas and Newark Beth Israel, both were very positive experiences for me. I did my psych rotation in Atlantic City. Then during my fourth year I went to Miami for my peds sub I and Norwalk, CT for my med sub I and my electives so far I have stayed at St. Barnabas and Newark. I am doing a 2 week elective in London as my last rotation. All the hospitals in the US are accredited. I know for certain we are not restricted as to which state we apply for residency, and in terms of away electives they can be done, it just requires some extra paper work which can be a pain. Anyhow if you have any other questions feel free to email me at [email protected].