Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Closed File Interviews

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MedApp2003, Sep 12, 2002.

1. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have an interview coming up that is closed file. I was wondering whether that means we shouldn't mention our stats in the interview. Not that I am going to blurt out my GPA and MCAT score right after the hand shake, but does closed interview mean that they REALLY don't want to know your stats? Is it totally taboo to mention them if it comes up? For example, I was thinking about how I would answer "tell us about yourself" or "describe yourself." I think that being a good student is really a part of who I am, but don't know whether I should shy away from talking about things like that or mentioning specific stats since it is "closed file."

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Personally, if I were an interviewer, I would be very turned off by a student who says his/her MCAT score or GPA to respond to a prompt like "tell me about yourself." It takes a lot more than numbers to be a good doctor, and this is one of the reasons some schools have closed files. I'd want to hear about your background, personality, likes and dislikes, personal experiences, etc. I wouldn't want a student who defines him/herself by a score on some test. That is just my personal opinion though.

4. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with CaNEM. They're not interested in your numbers -- they're interested in you as a person. They already know your scores & grades are good otherwise you wouldn't be there. The interview is to show that there is more to you to than being a good student.

5. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, the closed file puts everyone on equal ground. They don't care what your scores are. They're there to give an opinion that isn't biased by numbers...

-RA

6. athena21

athena21 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree, don't bring up stats--talk about yourself, your hobbies, what you like to do for fun, what you aspire to, etc....although, my friend was asked his stats during a closed interview--the interviewer had no right to ask, but did anyway...and my friend answered...

7. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks. I totally agree. I think I might of not been clear in my first post. I don't define myself by numbers in any way. I guess what I was really wondering is whether or not scores/numbers are totally taboo. For example, say you won a prize or award because of your GPA. Can you mention this as an accomplishment you are proud of? Or what if they ask you what you will do if you don't get into medical school, and you want to say you will try again next year after improving some number? Or what if you had one really really bad semester that is incongruous with the rest of your record, and have a pretty good explanation for why. Should you not tell, because that would involve revealing some numbers? Are you NEVER supposed to mention a number in a closed interview file.

8. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i just came from a closed-file interview, and my stats were brought up in the facutly interview, when my interviewer asked me about them. we talked for a long time without ever mentioning scores, gpas, or anything academic. for what it's worth, my advice would be to bring up your stats only in you are asked about them, or if you're asked what your academic career has been like. don't bring them up yourself. talk about your outside interests and hobbies, things you do for fun, your personality...etc. i don't think that stats are a taboo subject, but there's a reason why the interview is closed file; they want to learn about YOU and can read about your scores later. just my $.02

9. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

I think that the purpose of a closed file interview is to eliminate bias in the interview process. If I see a 4.0 from Harvard with a 42 MCAT I may think that this person needs to get a life. If is see a MCAT 25, I may think that this person is not up to the rigors of medical school. A closed file allows the first impression of you to be what you say, not what is in you file.