closed file interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayo302

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hmm... does anybody know how closed file interviews work in terms of the overall adcom decision-making process?

my stats are not so great but i was very surprised to get an interview at UIC, and i'm just wondering if getting the interview means they find my stats acceptable enough and the interview is just the last necessary step, or if they go back and consider everything when making a decision

please enlighten me

ayo

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard from several medical schools that the interview is just one part of what they consider when making a decision on you. When they go back to make the final decision, they will look at your whole file again. If you got an interview, that means they view you as a competitive applicant, and if your stats are below their average, there is probably something else they like about your app. (ECs, LORs, essay, etc.) I would check out what fraction of interviewees they accept (it's usually around 50%).

I once heard that once you get to the interview stage, all applicants are essentially equal and the interview makes the difference. From my experience, and from what I've heard, this is not the case at all. If anyone disagrees with this, let me know. Good luck.

Indeed, UIC still takes all things into account, with the interview being one criterion.

I get the feeling that the interview isn't as important at UIC as it is at most places, because the interview was low-stress and probably difficult to screw up. There are a few people who did have strange interviews though.

Closed file at UIC means that the interviewer doesn't have any of your academic information except your personal statement, not even the essays on your secondary. I think this may be better because it removes the need to justify something that may not be so good about your application. After all, the adcom has decided that your numbers are sufficient to be a valid candidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
grats on your interview!

rolleyes.gif

thanks guys.. you make me feel a little more at ease... this whole process is ulcer-inducing!!

carrigallen--i think your santa smiley's gonna have a hangover tomorrow morning... or does he already have one? :p