Closed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ObiHuang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Closed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi... I turned in my application extremely late and was hoping for some advice concerning pre-writing secondary essays. I wanted to know which schools I will meet the screening requirements for before I start pre-writing secondary essays.

I'm applying as disadvantaged status with a GPA of 3.3 and an MCAT of 39Q to 13 schools although I am under the impression only UCs screen.

Will I meet eligibility requirements for UCI/UCSD/UCLA?

I would think so. But I am not sure...call the schools and ask is the best advice I can give.

The UCs are usually a crap shoot. I got an instant secondary from all UCs but SD and it took them forever (like 6 weeks).

The UCs are very different in the way they conduct things. If you have something special I think the UCs will see you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend buying a copy of 'Medical School Admissions Requirements' (MSAR). It has average GPA/MCAT/selection factors and everything else you could want to know about every med school. For the GPA/MCAT it shows the range of scores the schools accepted last year, and for some of the UC's the range stops exactly at 3.5 for the gpa and an 8 for the MCAT. Although I'm not sure I would assume this is some kind of cutoff. That being said your rockin mcat score should get you a lot of interviews!!!

You have a great MCAT but with your weak GPA and being as it's almost November, you're wasting your money, to be honest. I wouldn't bother submitting your primary if it's not already too late (or at least don't submit any more). Work on bringing that GPA up for next year and apply in June. You'll be a great applicant then!

I think you should apply. People on here are way to flippant about giving advise to others. "Yeah, your app is pretty good, but you'd better just take a year off before you apply to make sure you'll get in". I realize applying is really expensive, but do you really want to sit out a year when you might be able to get in this year if you just try? Your mcat score is bangarang. Just do it.

wow you are really late. You still might get in but you have to get really lucky!

I think you should apply. People on here are way to flippant about giving advise to others. "Yeah, your app is pretty good, but you'd better just take a year off before you apply to make sure you'll get in". I realize applying is really expensive, but do you really want to sit out a year when you might be able to get in this year if you just try? Your mcat score is bangarang. Just do it.

Why sell yourself short now when you could attend a good school if you waited a year? It's so short-sighted, considering the length of your career. Fact of the matter is that people with double the OP's GPA percentile and similar MCAT scores who applied a month ago are struggling to get an interview (that would be a 3.7, btw...just look around the site. Yes, that is a great GPA, but those who applied late w/ a 3.7/35+ have still struggled in some cases and the OP's stats are nowhere near that level). Most people don't have extra money lying around to intentionally apply multiple years (but if you do, please feel free to contribute to my "send apumic to med school" fund). Frankly, IMO, your advice to put down money and time and effort on an application, assuming the OP is even eligible for an interview, would cause that interview to not even be offered until after most schools have selected most (or all) of their candidates is foolish at best and outright irresponsible at worst. Just saying...

I'm at UCI right now as an undergrad and attended a Q&A session with the dean of admissions at UCI med school today. For the scores, they prescreen, with those having a 3.5+GPA and a 10V,11P,11B MCAT guaranteed a secondary. Those that fall outside of this range are placed into another category and hand selected based on a quick glance at your ECs and any circumstances outside of your control. Minority/disadvantaged factors in at this point as well. She told us that roughly 1500-1600 out of the 5000 applicants make the 3.5+GPA 32MCAT cutoff. Out of the remainder 3500, about 300 make it pass the hand-selection process. After this, roughly 500 are invited to interviews and 250 make the final cut. Roughly 105 people enroll.