Closest Test to Real MCAT but not AAMC released

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you guys say is the closest representation of the real test that's not AAMC?

eg. EK, KAPLAN, PRINCETON, Berkeley Review, Barrons, etc.

I think this will help lots of people :D

Members don't see this ad.

I only have experience with Kaplan.

There Bio section was on par with AAMC. The PS was too calculational and manipulating equations, but I think they just did that to drive home concepts and understand of the equations. But like I said, way too much calculations. VR has good passages, but the questions are just a bit different from the AAMC.

All in all, I would say there BS is really good.

VR is okay.

Physics is not like the real thing, but it helps you do good on the real one because it really drills you on the concepts/equations.

Members don't see this ad :)
TPR's PS and BS are not very MCAT-like. They ask very detailed, but easy concept questions which do not usually have to do with the context of the passage given to you.

TPR's VR is OK, but still a bit difficult and demoralizing at times because they trick you a lot. At least they got me a whole lot. Just do not make any general assumptions about how they want you to answer a passage because I think it changes slightly from passage to passage.

For example, if an author quotes another writer/whatever and a question asks what the author suggests about so and so topic, the answer containing the quoted material may be right or wrong because some passages consider quoted material as something the author possibly suggests or some passages will not want you to use the quoted material.

It gets frustrating at times.

I agree with midn. I finished TPR's diags and found the BS and PS to be un-aamc-like. I thought the TPR tests were much easier. I liked the materials from the review course, but thought the tests weren't very good representations of the real thing. The VR seemed on-par imo.

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions, also I was wondering what yoiu guys thought of the Qbank that Kaplan provides. I've been using it and it seems pretty helpful thus far. Any reviews? (I know there are posts from 2002 about this but those are classics)