Closest thing to shadowing a psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brain Whisperer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
(sorry if it's the wrong place to post this)

Hi guys, I've been recently in a predicament where I'm deciding if I should go into medical school. If I were to go, my number 1 option is very easily psychiatry since I imagine there's enough variation to not get bored (and the medscape burnout/hours worked/overall happiness is very good) plus it's very doable from a DO school.

However, I have no idea how a psychiatrist spends their day and whether I'll enjoy doing this for the rest of my life. Shadowing doctors here in Canada is a bitch already, so there's no chance for psychiatrists.

What's the best way to gain experience into the job before getting into med school? Any advice is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Finding a psychiatrist to let you shadow is a pain. I had a difficult time getting psychiatrists to let me do an elective rotation with them even when I told them I was a 4th year going into psych. Some specialties that see psych cases that are probably easier to shadow would be family med, emergency med, and neuro.

it's all relative, but the closest thing to shadowing a psychiatrist is stalking one. i do not personally endorse this however

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed a psychiatrist in the ER, and one who did hospice/palliative care.

(sorry if it's the wrong place to post this)

Hi guys, I've been recently in a predicament where I'm deciding if I should go into medical school. If I were to go, my number 1 option is very easily psychiatry since I imagine there's enough variation to not get bored (and the medscape burnout/hours worked/overall happiness is very good) plus it's very doable from a DO school.

However, I have no idea how a psychiatrist spends their day and whether I'll enjoy doing this for the rest of my life. Shadowing doctors here in Canada is a bitch already, so there's no chance for psychiatrists.

What's the best way to gain experience into the job before getting into med school? Any advice is appreciated

- volunteering with suicide hotline
- grief service center volunteer
- look in your area for centers for children or families with ADHD or autism or intellectual disability and become a volunteer, those centers usually have programs for people suffering with mental health issues and need people to interact with patients
- get involved in a research project in mental health, if you are at university look around their psychiatry department and volunteer to get involved in ongoing projects as a research assistant, tell the PI you are considering medical school, try to get your name on a poster

Reactions: 1 user