Club/Wet labs ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeganChick

Tufts University V'13
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am trying to think of some cool wet labs/experiences for our chapter of the AAFP and was wondering what other schools have done. Every semester we do a feline restraint lab which is neat (students bring their own cats and learn how to do an examination) and also dissections, but I was hoping to come up with something new.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I am trying to think of some cool wet labs/experiences for our chapter of the AAFP and was wondering what other schools have done. Every semester we do a feline restraint lab which is neat (students bring their own cats and learn how to do an examination) and also dissections, but I was hoping to come up with something new.

Thanks!

Hey! I'd be interested in what other schools do too. I am the president of our Feline Club, and need some new ideas too!

We do a declaw wetlab, which is always popular. Even if people aren't planning on declawing, it's a good experience to get in there and see how it's done. We request cat cadavers from our go-to cadaver technician, and one of our surgeons spends about 30 minutes in a classroom explaining the procedure (and discussing new and safer ways to perform it), and then we all go to the anatomy lab and practice. It's a low stress, low material, and fun lab. I suggest it!

Also, if you're looking for a good fundraiser, this last winter we sold ornaments with our schools name. It said "University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine" with the vet med "V" on it. They were just normal round acrylic ornaments and were very cheap to buy. We sold them for $6 a piece or 2 for $10 and they sold like CRAZY. I highly recommend this as a fundraiser. I think we made around $500 and it was super easy to do.

We just added a procedures lab to our AAFP club that I planned and organized. If you want more info PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you what we did, how, and iacucs

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a demo from a local cat agility group last year, and were in the process of trying to get a wetlab/regular group going for people to try it with their own cats. Had some flaking going on from the group contact (our AAFP folks were trying, but kept getting "maybe next month..." and other brush-offs), but it sounded like a fun idea, and the demos were pretty neat. Maybe an option.

I might glom onto the christmas ornament fundraiser, since I haven't seen that done at ISU (at least during my time here). Thanks for the idea!

We had a demo from a local cat agility group last year, and were in the process of trying to get a wetlab/regular group going for people to try it with their own cats. Had some flaking going on from the group contact (our AAFP folks were trying, but kept getting "maybe next month..." and other brush-offs), but it sounded like a fun idea, and the demos were pretty neat. Maybe an option.

I might glom onto the christmas ornament fundraiser, since I haven't seen that done at ISU (at least during my time here). Thanks for the idea!

Cat agility? Huh? *officially intrigued*