clubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Acula

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so the only club i'm a member of is the pre-med society (of which i am an active member). Will the fact i'm not anymore involved hurt my application that much? Should I just join a club or two solely to be a member? and if so, i'll be a junior in the fall, would this look like i'm simply joining to join?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry but I think the pre-med club is a waste of time. Just my opinion, though. You can get all the info you need right here and with your advisor, or from directly calling the schools. Get more volunteer hours. Study more. Spend more time with friends.

jackieMD2007 said:
I'm sorry but I think the pre-med club is a waste of time. Just my opinion, though. You can get all the info you need right here and with your advisor, or from directly calling the schools. Get more volunteer hours. Study more. Spend more time with friends.

lol, see thats what I do! My GPA is good (knock on wood), volunteering is going well, and i love chillin with my friends. So you don't think it necessary to join any clubs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.Acula said:
lol, see thats what I do! My GPA is good (knock on wood), volunteering is going well, and i love chillin with my friends. So you don't think it necessary to join any clubs?

I just think the pre-med club is SO TYPICAL. Seriously. I bet there are a ton of people who weren't in their college's AMSA or whatever that get into school. Do something worthwhile, and original. Like play the guitar. Ballroom dancing. Water polo. For the love of god, something.

club = waste of time

If this is one of your premier ECs, you better join a church too.

Try some club that nobody else who is pre-med would think of. A poetry club, an IM sports league, some sort of model UN club. Something that would set you apart and show the adcoms that while you're a dedicated pre-med, that you're well rounded too.

hermit said:
club = waste of time

If this is one of your premier ECs, you better join a church too.

When I saw you had posted on this thread, hermit, I couldn't WAIT to see what you said. It was worth it. :laugh:

jackieMD2007 said:
When I saw you had posted on this thread, hermit, I couldn't WAIT to see what you said. It was worth it. :laugh:
I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

Wow, if you really thought that was funny, I may have to leave the cave more often.

Nah.

hermit said:
I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

Wow, if you really thought that was funny, I may have to leave the cave more often.

Nah.

I was being serious! Sometimes when people put stuff up that's just begging for something totally snappy, I just wait for you or someone to come over and totally get sarcastic. Comedy. Love it. :thumbup:

thanks for the feedback guys, i think i'll just join a club i find interesting thats unique.

i didnt know guitar or any of that would help set you apart from other pre-meds. you put that on your resume?

1 year volunteering @ hospital
1 year of kung fu

? lol

jojocola said:
i didnt know guitar or any of that would help set you apart from other pre-meds. you put that on your resume?

1 year volunteering @ hospital
1 year of kung fu

? lol

Hey, playing music is awesome. I've played an instrument for 10+ years. I put that $hit down!! :)

jackieMD2007 said:
Hey, playing music is awesome. I've played an instrument for 10+ years. I put that $hit down!! :)

So how did you address it in your app? Did you just play as a hobby on the side or were you part of an organization. I've played the saxophone for years but haven't played in an organization since high school

Dr.Acula said:
So how did you address it in your app? Did you just play as a hobby on the side or were you part of an organization. I've played the saxophone for years but haven't played in an organization since high school

I played some in college and took music theory classes as well...
I put it as an EC on my AMCAS, talking about my involvements in Jr High, High School, College and Post-College. It has been a long-standing thing for me, with lessons and everything. I talked about it in an essay where they asked if there was anything you're passionate about. I have a piece prepared in case someone wants to call me out on it, too. :)