CMS cuts, New Healthcare Plan, and Radiology Reimbursement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomeDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any idea on how much rads average net reimbursement will be going down once the new healthcare plan/cms cuts go into effect? Are we looking at around a potential 20-25% average decrease in salary, or will it be more?

Members don't see this ad.

Any idea on how much rads average net reimbursement will be going down once the new healthcare plan/cms cuts go into effect? Are we looking at around a potential 20-25% average decrease in salary, or will it be more?

*Rolls 2 dice* ...1 ... 6. 16% decrease, I'd say.

There is an amendment on the house bill to specifically cut all imaging reimbursements by 63% starting in year 2012 but it requires reauthorization each year so it wouldn't likely be around for long. Better jump ship to Derm young man.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope that you're joking. As soon as the government realizes that it can get the same management of DM, HTN from an NP for 50 grand a year less, GP's will get the hard shaft. The bill specifically says that no difference can be made between any practitioner practicing primary care. That means equal reimbursement for a Fam Med doc as the NP. As more states allow NP's to practice independently then Fam Med will catch it in the teeth. Anyway, after the true cost comes in on this bill and we have no choice but to become a socialized system and they pay all docs the same (which is def gonna be a priority - equal pay was mentioned in HR 3200) rads becomes the best choice again. Malpractice won't matter cause we'll be working for the government. PS. I can't stand clinic. Patients have no interest in what you're telling them, even less interest in following your instructions, and don't care if the letters on your white coat say MD or NP because you are only a prescription pad to most anyway. Sorry, but I'm a little jaded obviously.

I know :laugh:. I was just taking moment to vent and do a little self pep talk. If that makes any sense. I hear that rads applications are down overall this year about 10-15 percent (on a side not, I hear from a friend that urology is also down as much or more) but the overall quality of applicants is at a near all time high (maybe self-selection?). So does all this mean that people are shunning the specialties in favor of primary care due to some empty promises for increased reimbursement. I would personally play the odds. Odds being there is a 80-90 percent chance that rads will be heads above primary care in 10-15 years. Thoughts?

I hear that rads applications are down overall this year about 10-15 percent (on a side not, I hear from a friend that urology is also down as much or more) but the overall quality of applicants is at a near all time high (maybe self-selection?). So does all this mean that people are shunning the specialties in favor of primary care due to some empty promises for increased reimbursement. I would personally play the odds. Odds being there is a 80-90 percent chance that rads will be heads above primary care in 10-15 years. Thoughts?

Probably self-selection or else med schools are starting to admit people who are unlikely to be interested in rads (i.e. more former EMTs/paramedics, more former nurses, more emphasis on community activity and shadowing and less on sheer stats, etc.)

Speaking as someone in primary care, if you go into primary care with the belief that you will somehow be making more under ObamaCare, you're deluding yourself. Getting away from any political commentary on how the administration has yet to deliver on a single campaign promise, going into a field on the basis of projected income potential is just stupid. If you do that and get burned, well, you got what you deserved.

I've heard a number of things about rads from radiologists - don't go, the field is about to implode; no, it's great, no patients; don't go into it, salaries are bound to fall; we're heads above primary care in terms of reimbursement and we're going to stay that way. Who knows? I honestly don't think anyone can truly predict what's going to happen. I know in some states neurologists do read their own scans and bypass radiologists....who knows if that's an outlier or a sign of a future trend?

The bill specifically says that no difference can be made between any practitioner practicing primary care. That means equal reimbursement for a Fam Med doc as the NP.

Which bill, the house or senate version? Can you post a link to the specific language? I am assuming that since you were willing to state it as fact you actually read it yourself. I took a look around on the ACP website who I figured would have something to say, being the largest primary care lobby, but their overviews of the house and senate version of the bills contained no such information.

Which bill, the house or senate version? Can you post a link to the specific language? I am assuming that since you were willing to state it as fact you actually read it yourself. I took a look around on the ACP website who I figured would have something to say, being the largest primary care lobby, but their overviews of the house and senate version of the bills contained no such information.

Do not go into primary care. The dems will just empower more NPs and PAs. That slight bump in "promised" reimbursement. Well if ur lucky to still have a job then u may or may not get it depending on other "qualifiers". Honestly, a MD is significantly more qualified for primary care, however, after cost/benefit analysis guess where the administration will go. I think we all know the answer. I mean did any of u see Obama's speech at a nursing rally? He says to a DNP, "Nurse XXX, who's a Doctor" (mass applause).