Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

CNN: Harvard, hospitals to double pay for doctors who teach

Discussion in 'Topics in Healthcare' started by NonTradMed, Mar 9, 2007.

1. NonTradMed

NonTradMed Perpetual Student
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not sure where to put this:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/03/09/harvard.teaching.pay.ap/index.html

The pay-raise plan comes three years after a medical school task force looked into why more doctors were unwilling to teach. Besides the relatively low pay, already busy doctors are under financial pressure to see more patients and under professional pressure to do more research.

The new plan aims to pay teaching doctors $100 an hour, roughly the typical hourly rate for a primary care doctor. Current pay rates to teach Harvard Medical School's 771 students vary widely, with some doctors getting $30 per hour, well below going rates for their medical services.

Academic medicine typically don't pay as well as private practice. I guess attracting and keeping top doctors can be a problem. Perhaps this will encourage more top doctors to stay and teach? Comments, anyone? :)

2. Miami_med

Miami_med Moving Far Away
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is the first thing that I've seen come out of Harvard that makes sense in years. If you want quality, you've got to pay for it. Makes sense to me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Is it true that the more prestigious a place that you teach, the less you get paid? Since you get the benefit of working at the prestigious institution.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    OP
    NonTradMed

NonTradMed Perpetual Student
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you are talking about being a professor, I don't think that is not the case.

I attended a private, selective university and people there get paid a lot more than the professors at the universities that my parents worked at which was far less prestigeous.

Of course, it could also be my undergrad was a private university and my parents worked at a public university but it stands to reason that a more well known university will want to attract top talents and, at least at our school, they have to compete against a job market which pays more, so the school throws in extra cash plus option of tenure to get people to stay.

However, it's also harder to get tenure at top places (so my parents tell me), so it comes out a wash (work harder, more pay).