alex4d1

2+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2016
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I was quite happy to get into California Northstate University, CA, and Central Michigan University, MI. Both pretty new schools, I like both but for different reasons. Feedback on my pros/cons or opinions on the schools?

California Northstate University
Pros:
-Cali, family is here
-Know MS 1/3/4's from there (I'm local) and I get along with them quite well. Student body seems chill, at least from the people I know
-Good STEP scores
-Decent match rates

Cons:
-No hospital, rotations are at hospitals in the area that can take us
-Research is possible but potentially limited
-New school, not completely accredited
-For-profit

Central Michigan University
Pros:
-Great staff during my interview day. Absolutely loved them.
-Good match rates for a relatively new school
-Hospital affiliated
-I think it'd be fun to try living in a different state since I'm Cali born and raised haha

Cons:
-Real seasons
-Move away from family
-Have to drive decently far during rotations. Apparently they're in Saginaw and not main campus? Maybe I misunderstood.
-Higher tuition

Summary: I got into Cal Northstate and Central Michigan. I'm unsure what specialty I want to go into, and want a solid school that'll give me the flexibility to decide that while I'm studying. Not sure what I should be looking for exactly to decide between these schools, any advice would help. Thanks y'all!

Last edited:

TheDataKing

limeyguydr incognito
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2018
Status
  1. Medical Student
CMU. California Northstate being for profit, not having an affiliated hospital system, still not being fully accredited even though they've graduated a class (or two?), and the limited research opportunities make CMU an easy choice imo

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

ciestar

All grown up!
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
CMU.

And no, CNU’s match list wasn’t “decent” for any MD school.

Reactions: 5 users

alex4d1

2+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2016
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
CMU.

And no, CNU’s match list wasn’t “decent” for any MD school.

Stupid question- how am I supposed to tell which matches are good? I heard a diversity of specialties is good to see, but I don't know what else I should be considering as someone matriculating into med school

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads