CNU (Northstate) vs. CMU (Central Michigan)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alex4d1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was quite happy to get into California Northstate University, CA, and Central Michigan University, MI. Both pretty new schools, I like both but for different reasons. Feedback on my pros/cons or opinions on the schools?

California Northstate University
Pros:
-Cali, family is here
-Know MS 1/3/4's from there (I'm local) and I get along with them quite well. Student body seems chill, at least from the people I know
-Good STEP scores
-Decent match rates

Cons:
-No hospital, rotations are at hospitals in the area that can take us
-Research is possible but potentially limited
-New school, not completely accredited
-For-profit

Central Michigan University
Pros:
-Great staff during my interview day. Absolutely loved them.
-Good match rates for a relatively new school
-Hospital affiliated
-I think it'd be fun to try living in a different state since I'm Cali born and raised haha

Cons:
-Real seasons
-Move away from family
-Have to drive decently far during rotations. Apparently they're in Saginaw and not main campus? Maybe I misunderstood.
-Higher tuition

Summary: I got into Cal Northstate and Central Michigan. I'm unsure what specialty I want to go into, and want a solid school that'll give me the flexibility to decide that while I'm studying. Not sure what I should be looking for exactly to decide between these schools, any advice would help. Thanks y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
CMU. California Northstate being for profit, not having an affiliated hospital system, still not being fully accredited even though they've graduated a class (or two?), and the limited research opportunities make CMU an easy choice imo

Reactions: 1 users
CMU.

And no, CNU’s match list wasn’t “decent” for any MD school.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
CMU.

And no, CNU’s match list wasn’t “decent” for any MD school.

Stupid question- how am I supposed to tell which matches are good? I heard a diversity of specialties is good to see, but I don't know what else I should be considering as someone matriculating into med school

I think the reputation of CNU is that it's the worst MD school.

Reactions: 2 users
I was quite happy to get into California Northstate University, CA, and Central Michigan University, MI. Both pretty new schools, I like both but for different reasons. Feedback on my pros/cons or opinions on the schools?

California Northstate University
Pros:
-Cali, family is here
-Know MS 1/3/4's from there (I'm local) and I get along with them quite well. Student body seems chill, at least from the people I know
-Good STEP scores
-Decent match rates

Cons:
-No hospital, rotations are at hospitals in the area that can take us
-Research is possible but potentially limited
-New school, not completely accredited
-For-profit

Central Michigan University
Pros:
-Great staff during my interview day. Absolutely loved them.
-Good match rates for a relatively new school
-Hospital affiliated
-I think it'd be fun to try living in a different state since I'm Cali born and raised haha

Cons:
-Real seasons
-Move away from family
-Have to drive decently far during rotations. Apparently they're in Saginaw and not main campus? Maybe I misunderstood.
-Higher tuition

Summary: I got into Cal Northstate and Central Michigan. I'm unsure what specialty I want to go into, and want a solid school that'll give me the flexibility to decide that while I'm studying. Not sure what I should be looking for exactly to decide between these schools, any advice would help. Thanks y'all!
CMU all the way.

About CN"u":
As of last month, they are on probation after an LCME visit. Deficits were reported in all 12 required competencies.

They also reneged (and are now being sued) on the admissions of students who were in their BS/MD program.

Other reasons include:

1. Their method of selecting the inaugural class was slapdash. They didn't use AMCAS, just faxes and PayPal. This disregard for modern systematic processing makes one wonder if their profit motive was more important than thoughtful consideration.

2. This class ended up with twice as many men as women. The second Class still has more men than women. If their mission precludes thoughtful evaluation of candidates, one wonders what other important elements of education are being missed.

3. A review of faculty credentials STILL reveals a significant lack of scholarship.

4. In a state that is at least 30% Mexican American, they only had a single representative from this group in their inaugural class. As of the entering Class of 2020, they have no African-Americans and only three Latinos/Hispanics. My own DO school has better diversity.

5. They had the chance to enable their students to be able to get federal loans. They refused, and still do so. This says that their profits are more important than their students. There are hoops that every other US medical school (MD or DO) has chosen to comply with in order to allow their students repayment options. They permit them the option to choose federal loans and perhaps more important, payback mechanisms. The fact that this school stands alone in denying their students this option speaks far louder than I can in denouncing this behavior. This puts CNU in the same category as the very worst of the Caribbean schools. The fact that they have chosen this course makes them even worse.

Compare this to another new school (UNLV) that covered the bridge to federal loans by offering free tuition.

6. Because of these and other points too numerous to mention, the PD's I know are reluctant to consider these graduates in the same light as other applicants at the moment. (NOTE: for whatever it's worth, a recent PD's survey ranking the reputation of US medical schools placed CNU literally dead last among all the MD schools.)

7. The LCME did not really "allow" CNU to have a class starting 2015. The LCME granted preliminary accreditation in June (not unusual), and then CNU took the unprecedented step of seating a class less than three months later. Literally ever other new medical school accredited in the modern era has gone through at least a partial AMCAS cycle. This is why the LCME is apparently pissed off at CNU, and why [students] might end up paying a price later. The only reason for CNU to have done this was to get money flowing in the door ASAP. Again, every other new medical school has used the gap between preliminary accreditation and white coat to shore up the faculty and curriculum.

8. Just compare their mission statement to any other medical school. It’s telling.

9. Ask them how well prepared their Student Affairs dean was to help their unmatched students in the SOAP (hint: this was a disaster).

10. There are currently credible fraud allegations against their BS/MD program. See: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/california-northstate-university-college-of-medicine-cnucom-avoid-this-school-at-all-costs.1436625/#post-22712763

11. The new hospital they wanted to build was shot down by community complaints and concerns.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user