Co-author on research paper, 100 hours on application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOisit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it ok to say 100 hours on application for doing research and publishing it in respected journal? I wanted to say more but does it look like too much? Over about a year.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly if I saw 100 hours for a publication I'd assume you were just thrown onto the list of names. Think about it, that would only be 2.5 weeks at a full-time job. Over the course of an entire year that's very low.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Similar situation:

My P.I tells me that I should be able to crank out a project and paper in 3-4 weeks. It seems pretty respectable though. It's a very data interpretation intensive project. It's in the medical field as well (At my state medical school). I think that it's definitely worth it because my teacher seems very pumped about teaching me everything he can. Is this fine if I have more research?

Honestly if I saw 100 hours for a publication I'd assume you were just thrown onto the list of names. Think about it, that would only be 2.5 weeks at a full-time job. Over the course of an entire year that's very low.

Thanks a lot. It was a retrospective study. So, does 200 sound ok? Would they think I am lying if I write too much?
Thank you again

Thanks a lot. It was a retrospective study. So, does 200 sound ok? Would they think I am lying if I write too much?
Thank you again

Report how many hours you truthfully worked/spent on the research and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you again
?

Are you just randomly spouting off numbers that you think sound good? How many hours did you actually spend on it? Don't guess, just figure it out..

Reactions: 7 users
Was this time over an academic year, or was summer included? Did you invest more time in the summer? Did you take off time during school breaks, mid-terms, and finals weeks? Multiply actual weeks by hours per week as you recall them, allowing for some variation. Give your best good-faith guess-timate.

I put my research experiences with the correct hours separate from my publications which I just said 0 hours.

Reactions: 2 users
Was this time over an academic year, or was summer included? Did you invest more time in the summer? Did you take off time during school breaks, mid-terms, and finals weeks? Multiply actual weeks by hours per week as you recall them, allowing for some variation. Give your best good-faith guess-timate.

Thanks a lot everyone. This project included lots of statistics. Does time spend learning statistics count as well? That would be a lot of time. Thank you.

I'm gonna drop my bomb in this thread:

You worked the hours you did. People have worked less than you, and much, MUCH more than you to get a pub.

Put your honest hours. No one is goint to judge you for anything between 40-200 hours. You are not the primary author anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Can I just list in number of years? Listing x,000 hours looks too obnoxious for me personally. Do adcoms like to see big numbers?

Thanks a lot everyone. This project included lots of statistics. Does time spend learning statistics count as well? That would be a lot of time. Thank you.

If you are applying via AMCAS, please read this instruction manual provided by AAMC:

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf

You will find on Page 55 on the left sidebar in red dotted lines that publications, awards, honors and the like, you may put down 0 hours to avoid confusion. It is sometimes hard to justify hours worked to achieve something like that thus AMCAS has provided a guideline for almost every general question an applicant may have.

Can I just list in number of years? Listing x,000 hours looks too obnoxious for me personally. Do adcoms like to see big numbers?
For my research that led to publication I separated the activity into two - one as a research activity and one as a publication.

The research activity included all hours i trained for or conducted the research study (including learning the appropriate software and literature reviews along the way since I was in lab and working with the dataset).

My publication activity only included the tasks and hours specific to publishing skills - manuscript writing and editing. I made the distinction clear in the descriptions.

Do not include hours spent in a stats course or learning stats for fun.

I don't think anyone will care much about the hours on the publication activity (unless it's combined with your entire research project). just be as honest as possible... It will be noticed and appreciated, I am sure.

I agree with some above posters. I put my research (i.e. the actual act of doing research) in one entry with the number of hours I worked for each lab, then publications as their own entry that describes the publication with 0 hours recorded for time.

Having done research and getting on a publication looks good. Nobody reviewing your application is really going to focus on the number of hours. Definitely don't manufacture something that you think "looks good". Objective facts are what they are.

Reactions: 1 users