co-author vs. publish word choice in essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudewheresmymd

Slowly Drifting...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If we are not the first author on a paper, should we refer to the paper in essays as: "I co-authored X paper" or "I published X paper" Does the word publish only pertain to first author papers?

2) Do medical schools care if we were corresponding author for any of the papers? Does this show any leadership (communicating with editorial staff) etc?

Members don't see this ad.

You say 'co-authored' if you don't have a character limit. You say 'published' if you have a character limit.

Reactions: 1 user
You say 'co-authored' if you don't have a character limit. You say 'published' if you have a character limit.

few followups

1) should we use APA or Chicago for citing publications on the primary?
2) should we put a "." period after phrases that start with bullets?

Members don't see this ad :)
few followups

I have no idea what APA is, but I love me some deep dish pizza.

few followups

Use the Pubmed ID .

Is it searchable via a bibliography manager like Endnote. if so, you can just use the Endnote citation. A lot of people are saying it does not matter and even suggest MLA. I'll personally be using PubMed.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/publications-format-on-amcas.632202/

Finally, someone notices my avvy. :p Thanks, man.

not sure man how do I know if it's citable via endnote? It comes up on google scholar.

haha nice I love modding computers. still use sharkyforums from time to time.

not sure man how do I know if it's citable via endnote? It comes up on google scholar.

haha nice I love modding computers. still use sharkyforums from time to time.

There is an internal search engine in Endnote. Umm...Google Scholar has 3 options--MLA, APA, and Chicago. :p I would go with APA.

Use the cite function of Google Scholar if you don't wanna deal with Endnote.

http://snag.gy/ifQ1f.jpg

:roflcopter: forgot about that

Not that I can see. Is this journal open access? That is also a viable option, but I doubt you need to get specific with the citation. It will be searchable. That's what matters imo. :p

Not that I can see. Is this journal open access? That is also a viable option, but I doubt you need to get specific with the citation. It will be searchable. That's what matters imo. :p

gotcha. yeah it is. nevermind it worked. also, do you recommend spelling out our position (second author or 2nd author) if abbreviating?

and do you put periods "." at the end of your bullets?

For my graduate thesis I cited all articles as follows:

(pretend the author's names are named 'Baked Beans' and "Heinz Ketchup")

Beans B, Ketchup H. Title. Journal. Year.

That's right, I didn't bother with the volume, edition, or page numbers. THESIS WAS APPROVED.

Members don't see this ad :)
gotcha. yeah it is. nevermind it worked. also, do you recommend spelling out our position (second author or 2nd author) if abbreviating?

and do you put periods "." at the end of your bullets?

:lol: I use ordinal numbers (1st, 2nd, etc). I suspect it matters very little. I am not putting periods at the end of my bullet points.

For my graduate thesis I cited all articles as follows:

(pretend the author's names are named 'Baked Beans' and "Heinz Ketchup")

Beans B, Ketchup H. Title. Journal. Year.

That's right, I didn't bother with the volume, edition, or page numbers. THESIS WAS APPROVED.

This is the AMCAS we are talking about here...not some graduate thesis. ;)

:lol: I use ordinal numbers (1st, 2nd, etc). I suspect it matters very little. I am not putting periods at the end of my bullet points.

you never know what may seem visually displeasing to your app reader :lol:

None of this really matters, just pick 1 thing and do it consistently. I'd suggest some relatively simple variation of NEJM's style. For examle:

Author MJ, Author RT, Author PI. Title of Paper. Journal Name. Year. Volume(Issue): Pages X - X. [Pubmed ID: X or if not available, DOI: X]

Reactions: 1 users
None of this really matters, just pick 1 thing and do it consistently. I'd suggest some relatively simple variation of APA. For examle:

Author MJ, Author RT, Author PI. Title of Paper. Journal Name. Year. Volume(Issue): Pages X - X. [Pubmed ID: X or if not available, DOI: X]

What if each paper has so many authors you can't fit them and we have multiple publications? I was told we could abbreivate by our position on the paper? And what if not enough room for DOIs or PMIDS?

And do you think the words co-author and publish are interchangeable as per the original post?

2nd author. (2014). Author MJ, Author RT, Author PI. Title of Paper. Journal Name. Year. Volume(Issue): Pages X - X. [Pubmed ID: X or if not available, DOI: X]
3rd authror. (2012). Author MJ, Author RT, Author PI. Title of Paper. Journal Name. Year. Volume(Issue): Pages X - X. [Pubmed ID: X or if not available, DOI: X]

What if each paper has so many authors you can't fit them? I was told we could abbreivate by our position on the paper? And what if not enough room for DOIs or PMIDS?

2nd author. (2014). Author MJ, Author RT, Author PI. Title of Paper. Journal Name. Year. Volume(Issue): Pages X - X. [Pubmed ID: X or if not available, DOI: X]
3rd authror. (2012). Author MJ, Author RT, Author PI. Title of Paper. Journal Name. Year. Volume(Issue): Pages X - X. [Pubmed ID: X or if not available, DOI: X]

Seems fine. If you're going to do that, just put:
MrK JJ (4th author), et al. Title. Journal Name. Year. Volume (Issue): x - x [PMID]

Also, to clarify above, NEJM has year listed after journal title, APA has year listed before article title. I've found that more people in medicine use some variation of the NEJM style, but it doesn't really matter either way for your purposes.

Seems fine. If you're going to do that, just put:
MrK JJ (4th author), et al. Title. Journal Name. Year. Volume (Issue): x - x [PMID]

Also, to clarify above, NEJM has year listed after journal title, APA has year listed before article title. I've found that more people in medicine use some variation of the NEJM style, but it doesn't really matter either way for your purposes.

Thanks! but what if we physically can't fit the words "et al." as well as the PMIDS for each entry if the title of the journals and the titles of each article are super long? DOIs would be unthinkable :eek:.

This is the AMCAS we are talking about here...not some graduate thesis. ;)

Don't be a fool, son. The point is that a graduate thesis is ripped apart way more than any AMCAS could ever be.

Don't be a fool, son. The point is that a graduate thesis is ripped apart way more than any AMCAS could ever be.

the sarcasm in my post was abounding. sorry if the internet did not make it clear ;)

the sarcasm in my post was abounding. sorry if the internet did not make it clear ;)

I understand that. It is the sarcasm I took an issue with, considering that I've been helpful towards you here.
Hard truth: you're being overly neurotic.

You can be like this person from my old lab who wrote Smith, et. al "blah blah blah" for a paper they talked about in their thesis defense in which they were a third author. Now they are Dr. Smith, Ph.D., not sure how.

Reactions: 1 users
You can be like this person from my old lab who wrote Smith, et. al "blah blah blah" for a paper they talked about in their thesis defense in which they were a third author. Now they are Dr. Smith, Ph.D., not sure how.

Wait, they were 3rd author on their own thesis?

If we are not the first author on a paper, should we refer to the paper in essays as: "I co-authored X paper" or "I published X paper" Does the word publish only pertain to first author papers?

2) Do medical schools care if we were corresponding author for any of the papers? Does this show any leadership (communicating with editorial staff) etc?

Last edited:
I understand that. It is the sarcasm I took an issue with, considering that I've been helpful towards you here.
Hard truth: you're being overly neurotic.

apologies...but may I point out you have acquired more posts than me in little over a month than the four years i've been reading these forums? not sure how many of your posts have been replies as opposed to questions...nor do i care, but let's not get feisty now! :p my sarcasm was in good nature for what it's worth.

apologies...but may I point out you have acquired more posts than me in little over a month than the four years i've been reading these forums? not sure how many of your posts have been replies as opposed to questions...nor do i care, but let's not get feisty now! :p my sarcasm was in good nature for what it's worth.

Oh, if you only knew...

I'd say it's all good.
5ce4.jpg

If you list the authors, it should be obvious if you are first, second or whatever, unless there was another author on the paper with your same initials.

Yeah pretty much, at least within the sciences.

An advisor mentioned published sounds a bit self centered as other people were involved and wanted me to write "contributed to XYZ papers" Do you disagree?

It's pretty standard to say "I published X number of papers" or "published a paper on X." Manuscripts with a single author are really rare in the sciences, so people will understand what you're talking about.