CO resident with 3.3 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA but a strong upward trend, 508 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShoutOutToMyStove

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am trying to figure everything out and would really appreciate any pointers anyone could provide! My strong upward GPA trend includes a 3.53 cGPA, and 3.5 sGPA senior year, when I was taking my most difficult courses (biochem, physics I and II, upper level immunology, advanced genetics, and a senior capstone course exploring novel roles of RNA)

I never got less than a B- on any course, my GPA is just low because of a lot of time spent playing college basketball and incorrect priorities :/

I am planning on applying to:

MD

CU
Medical college of Wisconsin
University of Utah
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine (Phoenix)
University of Arizona College of Medicine (Tucson)
Indiana University School of medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Virginia commonwealth university school of medicine
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
West virginia school of medicine
Wake forest
Creighton
Chicago medical school at rosalind Franklin

DO

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine (AZCOM) at Midwestern University
Western (CA)
Rocky Vista University
Touro University California
Michigan state college of osteopathic medicine
+ more probably but I haven't been able to sort through them all yet!

Extra curricular:
Worked as a Team USA medical intern in South Korea for the World University Games
Volunteer with Operation TBI Freedom for 4 years, working with veterans with PTSD
I played collegiate basketball for all 4 years and was 6th all time in total number of games played.
Volunteered with Team Impact for 4 years, taking in a 9 year old battling leukemia and treating him as one of our own teammates, easily one of the best experiences in my life.
Working as a medical scribe in my gap years
Molecular Biology major, lots of time in the lab and helped on one of my professors research projects.
Plan on volunteering at the local children's hospital in the coming months

Are there any changes that I should make? Do I have a chance? I appreciate any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 12 and you should receive several interviews. For MD Utah, Indiana, Eastern Virginia, West Virginia, Oregon, Indiana and the AZ schools are state schools that prefer their own residents and accept very few applicants with your stats. You could also add Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan and any new private MD schools that open for 2018 (Roseman, Seton Hall, etc.).

I think you have a good chance at DO
Schools. Your MD list is full of state schools that choose their own most of the time. This is especially true with your below average stats. Did you use the MSAR to develop this list?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a good chance at DO
Schools. Your MD list is full of state schools that choose their own most of the time. This is especially true with your below average stats. Did you use the MSAR to develop this list?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yes I am using the MSAR to work through the schools, and am trying to only choose state schools that interview a high percentage of OOS applicants. For example, Indiana interviewed 667/5355 OOS applicants, which is a much higher than the normal public school. Is this the wrong way to look at it? Are the OOS applicants expected to have much higher stats than the in state?

Another public school I am looking at that has high interview percentages is West Virginia (623/3799 OOS applicants were interviewed). I am trying to just play the percentages here. Should I forget applying to any state MDs and just focus on private/new schools?

Also, does being in CO help me at all with applications to AZ/UT? Or does just being nearby do nothing.

I appreciate your help!

I'm sorry to say this but a 3.5 is still low despite the fact that you took harder classes and the fact that it is higher than your previous semesters. You'll be dealing with competition that has 3.7+ whilst taking class just as hard as yours, if not harder.

Yes, OOS applicants that are accepted to state public schools usually have higher stats than the state residents who are accepted. Also, some state public schools prefer OOS applicants from neighboring states. For example, West Virginia takes many of there OOS students from adjoining regions of Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Kentucky. State schools also give preference to non residents who attended undergraduate instate. Unless you have high stats or connections to that state it is usually not worth applying there.

Yes, OOS applicants that are accepted to state public schools usually have higher stats than the state residents who are accepted. Also, some state public schools prefer OOS applicants from neighboring states. For example, West Virginia takes many of there OOS students from adjoining regions of Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Kentucky. State schools also give preference to non residents who attended undergraduate instate. Unless you have high stats or connections to that state it is usually not worth applying there.

So then applying to the Arizona/Utah state schools isn't a terrible idea, since I am a Colorado resident? Or is it still far fetched

So then applying to the Arizona/Utah state schools isn't a terrible idea, since I am a Colorado resident? Or is it still far fetched

It's a pipe dream. Utah uses its OOS slots for higher stat URM applicants.

Arizona might be a little less of s pipe dream (still unlikely) I had a friend interview there this year with a lower Mcat and slightly higher GPA than you.

It's a pipe dream. Utah uses its OOS slots for higher stat URM applicants.

Arizona might be a little less of s pipe dream (still unlikely) I had a friend interview there this year with a lower Mcat and slightly higher GPA than you.

Thank you for your help! I think ill just stick to the AZ state schools, the lower tier private and new MDs, and all DOs then on my application list.

Any other schools I should be considering?

Thank you for your help! I think ill just stick to the AZ state schools, the lower tier private and new MDs, and all DOs then on my application list.

Any other schools I should be considering?

Yes you need another 10 DO schools and not the ones with stats similar to low tier MD schools. I'll give you some ideas tomorrow when I have more time

Here is a more realistic list:

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
Jefferson
Tulane
Loyola
U Miami
Wake Forest
VCU
Netter
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons.
U CO

Hey guys! I am trying to figure everything out and would really appreciate any pointers anyone could provide! My strong upward GPA trend includes a 3.53 cGPA, and 3.5 sGPA senior year, when I was taking my most difficult courses (biochem, physics I and II, upper level immunology, advanced genetics, and a senior capstone course exploring novel roles of RNA)

Here is a more realistic list:

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
Jefferson
Tulane
Loyola
U Miami
Wake Forest
VCU
Netter
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons.
U CO

Just wondering, why VCU and U Miami?