Co-signing a LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntoTheWest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be asking a previous graduate teaching assistant, who is currently working towards her PhD, to write me a LOR tomorrow and I was wondering if I should ask her if the LOR can be co-signed by the professor who actually taught the course. The only thing is the professor who taught the course has no idea who I am but all my interactions with this course were through the graduate teaching assistant. Is it necessary to have the professor co-sign the LOR or would be sufficient to just have the PhD candidate teaching assistant sign it?

Side note, this LOR is for satisfying the non-science LOR requirement.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be asking a previous graduate teaching assistant, who is currently working towards her PhD, to write me a LOR tomorrow and I was wondering if I should ask her if the LOR can be co-signed by the professor who actually taught the course. The only thing is the professor who taught the course has no idea who I am but all my interactions with this course were through the graduate teaching assistant. Is it necessary to have the professor co-sign the LOR or would be sufficient to just have the PhD candidate teaching assistant sign it?

Side note, this LOR is for satisfying the non-science LOR requirement.

You should have the professor cosign it. However, in reality med schools don't care too much. I did the same thing but the TA forgot to have the professor cosign. None of the schools I applied to seemed to notice.