MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If we interview at one of our top programs, should we be letting them know either during the interview or after in a thank you email that they are our top programs? Or should we wait until closer to rank to tell them that?

I would kinda hint at it during (like kinda indirectly say it through saying a lot of positive things you like about the program and how you’d like living wherever it is) then also send that love letter in Feb.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If we interview at one of our top programs, should we be letting them know either during the interview or after in a thank you email that they are our top programs? Or should we wait until closer to rank to tell them that?
Just my opinion, but I'm honestly going to be very sincere to them both during and after my interviews. I feel it'll be even easier to do since we'll get that "tell me why this program" question. My top choices are miles from where I grew up and I made immense connections there during medical school to show them I want to stay.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I send thank you letter saying how great the program they are and they fit my goal...etc...hope they find me to be good fit...then they email back saying keep in touch...I plan to send them another email before rank list to telling them whether they will be my number 1, among my top choice or simply I will rank you. Depend on what field you go to I guess, if it is small field, don't risk to lie and tell multiple program they are your number 1 is what I was told

Hey Frogger, if your webcame is < 720P I would buy one.
If you have something like a macbook from the last 3 years, that's all standard. My wife has a 720P camera and bought a 1080P webcam, and, to be honest, it does not look as good in interviews as just her computer's cam... so for us at least, a new camera was not worth it.
You need better lighting .

I think a decent camera is fine but lighting is more important. Once I placed my lamp next to my laptop, it really brought out the beautiful beast that I am.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Interviewed at my number 1 program today. They only had one 30 minute interview, which went really well, but I didn't stress to the interviewer that this was my number 1. Was planning on waiting until February before sending an update email, but at the end of the interview the PD told us that they had a strict no post-interview communication policy, and that interviewees shouldn't even send thank you notes!!

Interesting how different the experience at different programs is. I had a PD interview me with very direct, tough (but fair) questions and then close the conversation with , "Listen, we're straight shooters here, we'll let you know if we intend to rank you highly and if you want to come here let us know." He also fished for where else I was interviewing with, "Let's see, where else in country would have the combination of things you said you want out of training... Boston, I guess XXX, etc." It was pretty uncomfortable. Pre-interview this was was my #2 and I have yet to interview at my #1 program. I have been told if you communicate at all to only to communicate to your top choice that they're your top choice, because "one of my top choices" is meaningless. I feel like this particular program may not rank me as highly without a love letter, but too bad because I'm not going to lie. I really love my #3 too, and they didn't say anything about letting them know if I want to come, etc. so hopefully things will work out fine regardless.

Reactions: 2 users
Along those same lines, if you’re writing a thank you email to a PD of a program that is NOT one of your top choices, is it appropriate to say something along the lines of “I would be very happy here” or “I would be a great fit here.” Or could that come off as insincere? There are many programs that I do think I would be happy at, but they’re not my top programs as of right now

Along those same lines, if you’re writing a thank you email to a PD of a program that is NOT one of your top choices, is it appropriate to say something along the lines of “I would be very happy here” or “I would be a great fit here.” Or could that come off as insincere? There are many programs that I do think I would be happy at, but they’re not my top programs as of right now
Don’t say any of that just say you appreciated their time and x,y,z sounded really appealing to you. Don’t even tell that to your number 1. I already made that mistake saying that to mine and they said they appreciate it and will keep that in mind but that it’s too early in the season to know that definitively.

You can tell your number 1 you’d walk on glass through Nebraska to match there come February.

Reactions: 3 users
Phone as a Camera + Phone stand on desk + Ring light >> Webcam. I really wonder why more people haven't thought about it yet. Way cheaper and much higher image quality. I use an app called IVCam to connect it to my laptop.
1605995969878.png

Phone as a Camera + Phone stand on desk + Ring light >> Webcam. I really wonder why more people haven't thought about it yet. Way cheaper and much higher image quality. I use an app called IVCam to connect it to my laptop.
View attachment 323628
The lag was significant for me, and i didnt want to take any chances when the interview started.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are people’s computer web cams so universally crappy? My computer is not great and the camera is fine.
most webcams are 720p, not sure why, but they are.
A 1080p webcam with good light shows up really well compared to the snot cam my built in webcam provides. . Good light is really the key to everything ,

most webcams are 720p, not sure why, but they are.
A 1080p webcam with good light shows up really well compared to the snot cam my built in webcam provides. . Good light is really the key to everything ,

I’ll have to see what my webcam is. I just make sure I have good lighting, and it looks fine.

I use a Logitech c920 pro, a blue yeti, and Bluetooth earbuds. Great video and audio quality, no issues with audio feedback. My wife uses her cell as a webcam for her conferences and that has worked fine for her. Don't use a virtual background, they look terrible

Reactions: 6 users
The lag was significant for me, and i didnt want to take any chances when the interview started.
The trick is to connect your phone via USB cable (need to turn on USB debugging in settings) and turn off your phone's Wifi to ensure that the camera feed is going through the cable. Then the lag will be zero.

I think a good mic edges out camera quality. Bad sound quality is much more disruptive.

The trick is to connect your phone via USB cable (need to turn on USB debugging in settings) and turn off your phone's Wifi to ensure that the camera feed is going through the cable. Then the lag will be zero.
I definitely used USB, was still experiencing a slight delay. I was just concerned that the delay would show up the day of interview even a millisecond worth kinda screws with your perception via video. I am happy with my current set up anyway, since it shows up better compared to most of the other applicant screens I see. Some people don't take the set up too seriously, with poorly lit distracting backgrounds.

I'm just using my macbook camera and mic and have had no complaints. I bought a webcam and ended up not using it. All the concern over all that stuff was overblown imo. The interviewers half the time have terrible camera and mic quality.

Reactions: 4 users
I wouldn't worry so much about webcam 720 vs 1080. There are lots of bandwidth potential problems that will trump your camera, and many people in a video call have their own video on the screen also so the size is pretty small. I agree that sound is much more important.

Don’t say any of that just say you appreciated their time and x,y,z sounded really appealing to you. Don’t even tell that to your number 1. I already made that mistake saying that to mine and they said they appreciate it and will keep that in mind but that it’s too early in the season to know that definitively.

You can tell your number 1 you’d walk on glass through Nebraska to match there come February.
Wow, they said that? That’s kinda harsh lol. What if you actually know that this is your top program, even if it’s early in the cycle?

MacBook camera has been more than good so far. It’s a bandwidth thing too. I disconnected everything else from my wifi other than what my wife needs for work

Wow, they said that? That’s kinda harsh lol. What if you actually know that this is your top program, even if it’s early in the cycle?
Literally received the same advice from a PD last year. Dont go professing your love until a little later.

• Wow
I definitely used USB, was still experiencing a slight delay. I was just concerned that the delay would show up the day of interview even a millisecond worth kinda screws with your perception via video. I am happy with my current set up anyway, since it shows up better compared to most of the other applicant screens I see. Some people don't take the set up too seriously, with poorly lit distracting backgrounds.
I've only taken one IV so far, but I had the same experience. I was actually surprised by how other applicants went about background and lighting, given how often you see this discussed in here, the spreadsheet, and youtube videos. But it's just another case of selection bias, just like with USMLE scores. For me, background and lighting are the most important. Even with great audio and video quality, I wouldn't be able to pay attention to someone when there's a million things going on in the background.

I've only taken one IV so far, but I had the same experience. I was actually surprised by how other applicants went about background and lighting, given how often you see this discussed in here, the spreadsheet, and youtube videos. But it's just another case of selection bias, just like with USMLE scores. For me, background and lighting are the most important. Even with great audio and video quality, I wouldn't be able to pay attention to someone when there's a million things going on in the background.
One applicant, I saw use kitchen as background...very tidy one but still, I don't know if I want the chair or PD see my kitchen

Definitely put something in your background. I hung guitars on the wall and it’s been brought up every single time. My friend has pictures of sports teams and such and same there too. Even plants and such have been brought up. Don’t leave it blank but don’t over do it

Nah I leave mine blank and haven't had anyone bring it up. I have a big ring light in front of me so the lighting is really good and I just use my Macbook Camera with ear buds. So far it's been working really well.

Reactions: 8 users
Yea it was savage haha. It makes sense though cause my SO did a SubI at a program, fell in love with the city, sent them a love letter in February telling them they were ranked #1, and then the day before rank lists were due panicked and made them #3. Matched the the replacement #1. This program has been around long enough they probably know this happens decently often so I try not to be too offended that they didn’t reciprocate.

TBH my background was designed by my girlfriend and it’s been a hit so far. One of my interviewers talked about a painting with me for a bit and one of my residents interviewing me is going to buy one of my books after we talked about it for awhile.

I didn’t wanna come off as the equivalent of boiled chicken, mashed potatoes, and cauliflower on a white plate which I’ve absolutely seen.

Anyone has weird interview experience where one of your interviewers disagrees with what you said?

Anyone has weird interview experience where one of your interviewers disagrees with what you said?
I mean I had an interviewer cut me off and say women in surgery don't have any issues now a days lol and to give a different answer... i literally just opened with "As a woman in surgery " and didn't get to finish my sentence lol

• Angry
I mean I had an interviewer cut me off and say women in surgery don't have any issues now a days lol and to give a different answer... i literally just opened with "As a woman in surgery " and didn't get to finish my sentence lol
This is bull...even in a non-surgical specialty, women still tend to have "issues"...among the doctors and nurses...

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Definitely put something in your background. I hung guitars on the wall and it’s been brought up every single time. My friend has pictures of sports teams and such and same there too. Even plants and such have been brought up. Don’t leave it blank but don’t over do it
I have a cat tree and everyone asks then if they can see my cat:rofl:

• Haha
Ah yes, no II from an audition where my senior resident emailed the PC recommending me for the program. Wtf is this cycle ?

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
interviews don't afffect you very much girlfriend!!!! with only 10 minutes per interview they can't. it's more to screen to make sure you ain't crazy!
Arent the interviewees on equal standing once they get an interview and you have to really shine to make sure you match? Ive been kicking myself too just bc i have a cluster of interviews but dont feel like im killing any of them just doing average

Arent the interviewees on equal standing once they get an interview and you have to really shine to make sure you match?
No. Most programs have a preliminary rank list before interviews even happen, and small adjustments are made after interviews.

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
No. Most programs have a preliminary rank list before interviews even happen, and small adjustments are made after interviews.
Wow thanks thats good to know. With these short 15-30 min interviews i feel like depending on questions asked, it’s not always easy to show your enthusiasm or personality. Really dont want to slip through any cracks here because of this interview style

Ah yes, no II from an audition where my senior resident emailed the PC recommending me for the program. Wtf is this cycle ?

I'm kind of in a similar baffling situation, though my rotation was from before COVID.

Was told that they were very interested and were going to interview me, multiple residents and faculty put in a good word, stats/application are all in range, and currently got nothing. Even got ghosted on an update email! I suppose it's possible it'll come later but as of now it all seems like a huge waste of time/money/effort.

I'm kind of in a similar baffling situation, though my rotation was from before COVID.

Was told that they were very interested and were going to interview me, multiple residents and faculty put in a good word, stats/application are all in range, and currently got nothing. Even got ghosted on an update email! I suppose it's possible it'll come later but as of now it all seems like a huge waste of time/money/effort.
Happened to me too. Several people reached out and one of the chiefs finally got me a waitlist interview...I doubt ill get off the waitlist.
Idk what else I coulda done besides not be a DO haha

• Care
  • Sad
Wow thanks thats good to know. With these short 15-30 min interviews i feel like depending on questions asked, it’s not always easy to show your enthusiasm or personality. Really dont want to slip through any cracks here because of this interview style

Happened to me too. Several people reached out and one of the chiefs finally got me a waitlist interview...I doubt ill get off the waitlist.

+1 it’s a rough time trying to get an interview at my #1. My SO is a resident in another specialty and I’m trying to get an interview at their hospital so we can be together for residency since all my other interviews are 4+ hours away. Atleast 2 people have vouched for me and haven’t heard anything.

Chickbucks how are you set with neuro II? I'm a non-US IMG and I got 6 so far but I'm trying to gauge the situation of neuro this year to know whether or not I should worry.

Chickbucks how are you set with neuro II? I'm a non-US IMG and I got 6 so far but I'm trying to gauge the situation of neuro this year to know whether or not I should worry.
I’m actually doing alright. Hit my quota and am waiting on one or two more to start dropping. I think it’s just where in the country I applied and what level of programs though that made the difference so fsr

Has anyone else had the unfortunate experience of being grilled over your "online rotations" that were completed towards the end of third year?

We were pulled from the hospitals around mid-march and my IM rotation was scheduled for April/May. I was interviewing for an IM prelim and the PD was grilling me over how you can't replace in-person rotations with online courses etc. Obviously I would have preferred to do an in-person rotation as well.. but are some of these PDs just completely oblivious to the situation that we're going through?!

I had absolutely no control over my school/hospital pulling students from rotations, yet here I am facing the consequences for it.

This cycle can **** right off.

EDIT: my make-up rotation won't be until the following spring

• Sad
  • Wow
Has anyone else had the unfortunate experience of being grilled over your "online rotations" that were completed towards the end of third year?

We were pulled from the hospitals around mid-march and my IM rotation was scheduled for April/May. I was interviewing for an IM prelim and the PD was grilling me over how you can't replace in-person rotations with online courses etc. Obviously I would have preferred to do an in-person rotation as well.. but are some of these PDs just completely oblivious to the situation that we're going through?!

I had absolutely no control over my school/hospital pulling students from rotations, yet here I am facing the consequences for it.

This cycle can **** right off.

EDIT: my make-up rotation won't be until the following spring

While they probably completely unironically have tons of NPs with completely online degrees working there.