MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
why is your school forcing you to complete 3rd year rotation now rather than cancelling it?
I wish I could tell you. :rolleyes: I am physically in pain. I even get treated like a third year who doesn't know how to write notes or use EMR.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
The grade doesn't matter as long as you pass right?
it's P/F so it doesn't matter but I am physically in pain. thank god i took the shelf last year during our covid quarantine

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
I know this isnt a thread for me and my problems... but i am spiraling into my shopping obsession thing. And like everyone i know now is expecting and im like YESSS GIFTS FOR YOU ALL FROM MEEEE

Did you mean this for this thread or the residency panic thread?

Interviewed at what’s likely my top choice today and I’m just convinced I bombed my interview 😭. I’m probably just in my head but man this season can’t end quick enough.

I was convinced I failed every test and board exam up to this point too so I’m sure I’m just overthinking.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Damn was at an interview day and everything looked to be going really well, and I was planning on ranking the place higher than expected. Then we had a Q+A with the residents and well, now I'm ranking it lower than expected. Just did not vibe at all. Kind of sucks.
Out of curiosity....what kind of stuff was said that made you do an about face?

Since we're talking about all kinds of letters now....

For those of you from last year who sent a Letter of Intent stating they're your number 1, did you guys match into that program?

How much emphasis are you guys putting on “the people” and your fit with the residents from pre-interview dinners? So far, I’ve put a lot of emphasis on it, and while I think that’s justifiable in a typical year, I’m starting to question my ability to get an accurate “gut feel” about people over zoom. Thoughts?

• Hmm
Second to last interview this morning. I can’t tell if the program was actually meh or if I’m just so checked out I’m beyond caring lol. March 19th can’t come fast enough.

Reactions: 6 users
Last interview was today. Also started an audition rotation at my #2 place. This is a problem now, because my #2 just changed to #1b...

Do you guys think its easier to match higher on your rank list this year with all the hoarding and what not?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this isnt a thread for me and my problems... but i am spiraling into my shopping obsession thing. And like everyone i know now is expecting and im like YESSS GIFTS FOR YOU ALL FROM MEEEE
Man, you're doing so much better than me. Many of my friends recently gave birth and I'm like, "Congrats, your babies will get gifts after I match."

Reactions: 1 users
Man, you're doing so much better than me. Many of my friends recently gave birth and I'm like, "Congrats, your babies will get gifts after I match."
It helps I am not longer a student lol

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Programs: why should we pick you? What do you bring to the program?
Me: blah blah blah...
Programs: not impressive

Me: what is your program #1 selling point?
Programs: blah blah blah
Me: (heard that many times)

What a stupid game we are all playing. Anyone have similar experience lol?

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Do you guys think its easier to match higher on your rank list this year with all the hoarding and what not?
Boy I sure hope so. That being said, there were definitely a lot of the same people on my IV trail at different programs.

Reactions: 2 users

well damn I never broke it down like that lmaooo

Yes. My gripe is If “well I don’t have any glaring weaknesses” is a stupid response for me as the interviewee, it’s a stupid response for a program too. I’ve had more than one program try and evade the “what do you think could be improved on?” Question and it irritates me to no end.

Every program sounds the same to me at this point.

Reactions: 9 users
Oh
Yes. My gripe is If “well I don’t have any glaring weaknesses” is a stupid response for me as the interviewee, it’s a stupid response for a program too. I’ve had more than one program try and evade the “what do you think could be improved on?” Question and it irritates me to no end.

Every program sounds the same to me at this point.
ya This is another stupid game we play too...except this one you dug your own hole sound like...has not yet happened to me...🤣

Out of curiosity....what kind of stuff was said that made you do an about face?

They were highly disinterested in talking to us, seemed to scoff at basic questions, weren't really enthusiastic about the program. Vibe was totally off.

• Sad
How many interviews did you guys do in total?

Oh

ya This is another stupid game we play too...except this one you dug your own hole sound like...has not yet happened to me..
Haha no I didn’t say “I have no weaknesses.” I meant I don’t know why programs think it’s acceptable for them to do it when if we gave that answer as interviewees we probably wouldn’t end up ranked very high.

Reactions: 4 users
Haha no I didn’t say “I have no weaknesses.” I meant I don’t know why programs think it’s acceptable for them to do it when if we gave that answer as interviewees we probably wouldn’t end up ranked very high.
Yes this drives me crazy.

Me: “Any big changes coming or things you’re looking to improve?”

PD: “No.”

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Boy I sure hope so. That being said, there were definitely a lot of the same people on my IV trail at different programs.

At my most recent interview (which was my 9th or 10th I think?) I recognized all but one of the 25 interviewees. I had seen most multiple times. This is for a smaller subspecialty, but still, definitely a lot of overlap happening.

At my most recent interview (which was my 9th or 10th I think?) I recognized all but one of the 25 interviewees. I had seen most multiple times. This is for a smaller subspecialty, but still, definitely a lot of overlap happening
I knew all the applicants by my last interview

I've done 18 IM. I've seen repeat candidates 3-4 times usually in the big academic programs that interview tons of people in a day. Tbh I'm staring at myself the whole time and not really paying attention to the other candidates

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, by my last 2 interviews it was wild how many of the applicants I recognized, especially in a similar regional clump of interviews.

How many interviews did you guys do in total?

14 in Gen surg - feeling pretty comfortable with this number as it's a good spread of tier. Don't expect any more and wouldn't do any more unless it was some dream reach or something.

Y'all are so much braver than me, I'd love to cancel some but knowing people who had to SOAP, suffering through the interviews seems the lesser evil

How many interviews are you going on, efle? Thought there was a >95% chance of matching after 12 II’s

Last edited:
i love my top 4 and would be happy to match there but after that :(

Reactions: 5 users
How many interviews are you going on, efle? Though there was a >95% chance of matching after 12 II’s
17, median ranks for matched apps last year was 14. I know it's safe to cancel a couple more, but then I think about the risk-reward of SOAPing vs taking a morning off, and figure I'd better suffer through it.

Reactions: 3 users
17, median ranks for matched apps last year was 14. I know it's safe to cancel a couple more, but then I think about the risk-reward of SOAPing vs taking a morning off, and figure I'd better suffer through it.

Yeah 17 is probably overkill but that decision is up to, obviously. Whatever makes you comfortable

Same, top 2 programs both seem PERFECT for me, but then the next 10 ranks would all mean sacrificing the dream of buying our first home for another 5+ years.

Yeah 17 is probably overkill but that decision is up to, obviously. Whatever makes you comfortable
You know what I just looked at the curve and even 14 is overkill. Odds are >90% at 8, >95% at 12. I'm going to cancel 2 more tonight

• Haha
  • Love
Same, past my top 2 I’ll still he happy but every program has some combo of pro/con, anything past 13 and I’ll be pretty devastated (although relieved to have matched).

• Care
I will have 12. I have my top choices, but it was honestly a miracle I even got into a DO school let alone made it this far. I’ll grin all the way to the bank matching the bottom of my list lol.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 19 users
Same, past my top 2 I’ll still he happy but every program has some combo of pro/con, anything past 13 and I’ll be pretty devastated (although relieved to have matched).

I've got 3 that I would be thrilled with for training and location. The next 5 I'd be happy with - they're potentially more renowned programs, but in areas that are less ideal for me, but I would be able to make my peace with it knowing that at least they had something going for them. After 8, I would definitely be disappointed.

Idk how y’all are making it through so many interviews. Finished my 9th and final IM interview today and couldn’t be happier to be done with this BS. Hope you all match at your #1!

Reactions: 7 users
Idk how y’all are making it through so many interviews. Finished my 9th and final IM interview today and couldn’t be happier to be done with this BS. Hope you all match at your #1!
Couples match really lights a fire up your a$$

• Haha
IM. Went on 18! Cancelled about 12. Cancelling anything that comes through now.

Glad to see my DO peeps killing it on the interview trail despite all the craziness this year. I look up to you guys. Good Job! I hope I can do the same next cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
I definitely recognize a lot of the DO ortho studs by now, seems like the same group of 10-15 DOs are getting the same non-rotator invites

In terms of rank list as it stands rn id be STOKED and popping bottles if I end up on my top 7, past that id be a mix of disappointed yet relieved I at least matched my desired specialty. Except one program at the bottom of my list I have considered not ranking and taking my shot at the SOAP instead, just malignant vibes in every sense of the word (which IMO means a lot coming from a surgery applicant lol)

Reactions: 7 users
I will have 20, cancelled only 1 due to overlap/location of program

• Love
They were highly disinterested in talking to us, seemed to scoff at basic questions, weren't really enthusiastic about the program. Vibe was totally off.
Ugh, yeah, I had kind of a weird resident social at my top choice. I'm chalking it up to zoom though, cause I still think it's the best program for me. The other applicants were pretty quiet and the residents first told us the group last week was more lively (????) and then complained about the cost of car insurance. Hey, we all have our days.

I'm on 11 out of 12 and I am dragging! I wish I had canceled yesterday's interview. Decent program honestly, just not one of my favs and when they say things like, "We definitely want you here!" I felt super awkward and had a hard time gauging how to respond. Guess I am not good at "playing the game". I'd be psyched for any of my top 3, happy with top 9, and after that still grateful to match. Will pain me a little if a program I ranked higher than where I match ends up in the SOAP, but I am telling myself that's unlikely.