MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My school let us read our MSPEs and it was an absolute mess. We kept Honors/HP/P for subinternships and in-person electives, but switched Pass/Fail for core clerkships and online electives.
Efffff. Our school is Honors/P/F for cores but just P/F for electives and sub-Is. I really hope PDs take the time to realize I couldn't get higher than a P in my electives (which are all IM subspecialties since I wanna do IM) and sub-Is....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't think it's this nonsense. Honestly there's a degree of randomness to this.
Yeah it’s honestly kind of a crapshoot. I missed out on regional places I thought for sure I’d get invites from but randomly got some university places in locations I have zero ties to whatsoever.

Oh and zero invites from the area of the country I’m from.

I have given up trying to figure out what programs look at or care about. I’m convinced it just depends on who reads your app that day.

Reactions: 10 users
So like how bad does an interview need to be for a program to drop you on their rank list? Applying EM. I always feel like theres something I shouldn't have said after each interview I do ugh

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So like how bad does an interview need to be for a program to drop you on their rank list? Applying EM. I always feel like theres something I shouldn't have said after each interview I do ugh
totes normal

Reactions: 7 users
Efffff. Our school is Honors/P/F for cores but just P/F for electives and sub-Is. I really hope PDs take the time to realize I couldn't get higher than a P in my electives (which are all IM subspecialties since I wanna do IM) and sub-Is....

My school is like this too, and now I’m concerned LOL

Same. I get stressed out after each interview....so I nap after every single interview to take my mind off of it.

Reactions: 3 users
Not all schools went Pass/Fail though I think. Especially for electives. It was a whole big discussion at the time they were deciding how to deal with grading - some people were really worried about applying into competitive fields with a Pass in something like Medicine, Surgery, or elective within their specialty.

most schools did though. you aren't going to get every single program but you got most. my school went P/F and people are still getting competitive interviews. there were programs i thought i was a shoo in for but i didn't get an invite. it happens.

To add to this, my school didn't change anything core to pass fail. We did some P/F electives during the online period in March and April, but as soon as we returned to clinical rotations the normal grading scheme came back.

Reactions: 1 user
Apparently at my program it has to be terrible to get a DNR.

Another place i interviewed at ranks like... 20 people apparently and wonder why they have to SOAP people every year

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users

If it makes you feel better, I am this way too.

Reactions: 2 users
If it makes you feel better, I am this way too.
ugh I did this at the beginning of the season, but then I got better at interviewing maybe? And then I wasn't feeling that way anymore. Of course, until my interview at my #1 which I said 10 things that were less ideal/not eloquent and didn't get a chance to say 25 things that paint me in a good light/accurately.

ugh I did this at the beginning of the season, but then I got better at interviewing maybe? And then I wasn't feeling that way anymore. Of course, until my interview at my #1 which I said 10 things that were less ideal/not eloquent and didn't get a chance to say 25 things that paint me in a good light/accurately.
I also felt this way moreso at the beginning then I think I just gave up lol.
Totally normal to overanalyze though. I recommend doing a third year rotation and getting yelled at by an attending for not reading the notes from 8 years ago to distract you *graduation where you at*

• Haha
DO, couples match, 2 failed pre-clinical classes, lowest quartile, decent USMLE scores, low/mid SLOE ranking (my interpretation)

applying EM

applied to a little over 100
20II , 1 WL

I'm happy with my rank list. couples match complicated things but still pretty happy with my ranks.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
DO, couples match, 2 failed pre-clinical classes, lowest quartile, decent USMLE scores, low/mid SLOE ranking (my interpretation)

applying EM

applied to a little over 100
20II , 1 WL

I'm happy with my rank list. couples match complicated things but still pretty happy with my ranks.
That's awesome! I remember when you said you had 4 II a couple months ago and you were kinda freaking out haha

When your attending gives you a 2 in clinical knowledge and you already did well in step 2 loool lady I’m just trying to pass

• Wow
When your attending gives you a 2 in clinical knowledge and you already did well in step 2 loool lady I’m just trying to pass
Ive stopped looking at my evals altogether. Unless you think someone is going to fail you, who cares.

In an M3 clerkship? Wtfff
yep lol. i'm like ok? lol. cool. all 3s and a 2. cannot wait for this painful experience to end lol. at least when i'm a resident i will get PAID and get yelled at.

• Haha
yep lol. i'm like ok? lol. cool. all 3s and a 2. cannot wait for this painful experience to end lol. at least when i'm a resident i will get PAID and get yelled at.
Yep lol
Wont be the end of overly harsh attendings

Does anyone know if there's a way to mirror the video in Thalamus under settings or something? Haven't been able to figure this out.

USMD applying to Peds and couples matching. Average scores/grades. Above average LORs and PS.

Applied: 50
Interview Invites: 33
Interviews attended: 25
Cancelled: 8

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
USMD applying to Peds and couples matching. Average scores/grades. Above average LORs and PS.

Applied: 50
Interview Invites: 33
Interviews attended: 25
Cancelled: 8
25 interviews attended for Ped? Is this typical for ped even w couple match lol?

25 interviews attended for Ped? Is this typical for ped even w couple match lol?
I had a couple EM attendings who couples matched when EM was almost as easy to get into as peds, and they said 20-30+ was normal for couples match even back in the day.

• Wow
60 days until match homies.
That is both so long and so short...60 more days of constant instrusive memories of awkward interview responses i gave vs 60 more days of showing up to my rads rotation at 11am starbucks in hand. The end of fourth year dilemma

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
They should know that covid affected rotations and grading. There's zero excuse for their carelessness. I don't care how many applications they have to read. MSPEs and impact of covid on rotations (especially rotations of the specialty being applied to) should be their first priority.

Yeah but that’s literally the job.
This year was a challenge. If a program has 500 applicants and each application takes 10 minutes to review, that's basically 2 weeks of full time reading. Presumably most programs split that up between several people, but it's a challenge. And this year ERAS opened several weeks late, giving programs even less time to review. So sure, "it's the job" - but there are limits.
My school is like this too, and now I’m concerned LOL
I wouldn't worry. Even if application review to pick interviews was somewhat superficial, we then have lots of time to do a deeper review prior to your interview itself. Any problems like this get sorted out.

This year was a challenge. If a program has 500 applicants and each application takes 10 minutes to review, that's basically 2 weeks of full time reading. Presumably most programs split that up between several people, but it's a challenge. And this year ERAS opened several weeks late, giving programs even less time to review. So sure, "it's the job" - but there are limits.

I wouldn't worry. Even if application review to pick interviews was somewhat superficial, we then have lots of time to do a deeper review prior to your interview itself. Any problems like this get sorted out.
Fair enough, but I feel like before you ding a candidate for only getting a pass in rotations you should make sure that isn’t the highest grade they could have gotten.

That is both so long and so short...60 more days of constant instrusive memories of awkward interview responses i gave vs 60 more days of showing up to my rads rotation at 11am starbucks in hand. The end of fourth year dilemma
You get 60 straight days of rads?!

• Wow
Yeah, I would be concerned that I would be screened out before someone got a chance to do a deeper review. Like, oh only a pass in IM-related subspecialties and your sub-Is, we'll pass. Even though that's the highest score I could get.

I will be attending my #1 ranked program in early Feb, and I received the inv very early Jan. am I still in the running when it comes to rank list? I'm a little worried they're just using me to fill out the bottom of their rank list

I will be attending my #1 ranked program in early Feb, and I received the inv very early Jan. am I still in the running when it comes to rank list? I'm a little worried they're just using me to fill out the bottom of their rank list
Again, if you don’t do the interview your chance is zero. If you do it, your chance may be high or low no one can really tell you...but since it is your #1...you have nothing to lose but a day lol.

You get 60 straight days of rads?!
I wish haha only said that to make the quip work, finishing up my month of rads next week but couldnt do more because i have do still do my FM sub-I core rotation next month. So my fourth year life will sadly end and I’ll be a temporary third year come feb

There has been a lot of talk/concerns/fear about interview invite maldistribution with a lot of students ended up with fewer interviews than would be anticipated based on their qualifications (e.g., the open letter from AAMC, the letter from the OB GYN specialty). However, based on what I have seen here and the number of interviews that are being reported by SDN users in this forum, I see a very healthy number - looks like everything is getting 15+/20+ interviews (even those who are supposed to have less than ideal applications) and declined a number of interviews. This makes me wonder if this concern about interview maldistribution is true. Thoughts?

There has been a lot of talk/concerns/fear about interview invite maldistribution with a lot of students ended up with fewer interviews than would be anticipated based on their qualifications (e.g., the open letter from AAMC, the letter from the OB GYN specialty). However, based on what I have seen here and the number of interviews that are being reported by SDN users in this forum, I see a very healthy number - looks like everything is getting 15+/20+ interviews (even those who are supposed to have less than ideal applications) and declined a number of interviews. This makes me wonder if this concern about interview maldistribution is true. Thoughts?

Possible. But keep in mind that SDN is a small sample size.

My medical school has been keeping tabs on interview invite number. So far the average/median seems to be the same, but there are more applicants on both extremes this year.

Remains to be seen. I’m a 250s/260s DO applicant to rads. Applied to 48 programs and got 13 invites. Turned down 1. The majority of programs I applied to are not competitive.

At one program I got a recent invite to, the PD of this very rural program said “Boy we’ve interviewed a huge influx of applicants from New York City this year. I think it’s because people aren’t interested in living there anymore after all this virus stuff.” No. There’s just no reason not to do the interview.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16 users
At one program I got a recent invite to, the PD of this very rural program said “Boy we’ve interviewed a huge influx of applicants from New York City this year. I think it’s because people aren’t interested in living there anymore after all this virus stuff.”

LMAO. Imagine actually believing that.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Remains to be seen. I’m a 250s/260s DO applicant to rads. Applied to 48 programs and got 13 invites. Turned down 1. The majority of programs I applied to are not competitive.

At one program I got a recent invite to, the PD of this very rural program said “Boy we’ve interviewed a huge influx of applicants from New York City this year. I think it’s because people aren’t interested in living there anymore after all this virus stuff.” No. There’s just no reason not to do the interview.
I have no faith in humanity when some of the smartest people in the nation are this stupid and quick to defend their self-esteem instead of using their dusty and cobwebbed brain.

• Haha
I have no faith in humanity when some of the smartest people in the nation are this stupid and quick to defend their self-esteem instead of using their dusty and cobwebbed brain.

There could be a virus that literally only killed NYers and no one else, and people would still flock to live there.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

Lmfao

• Haha
Ok guys, could use some advice. I’m fairly certain my #1 had their last interview day this past Friday. Do I send my letter of intent now, or wait until early Feb? I’m conflictedddd.

Some PD/chai are just so out of touch...it is almost ridiculous that they are the ones making decisions

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe end of January? Since ROL input opens 2/1.
Do you really send LOI that early?? You don’t have to submit rank lists until 3/3 I believe. I’m worried that I’m gonna change my mind during that month haha

Do you really send LOI that early?? You don’t have to submit rank lists until 3/3 I believe. I’m worried that I’m gonna change my mind during that month haha
I know for a fact some programs will finalize their lists by the end of the month. They don’t sit and agonize like we do, they have their rank meetings and after their last one they are done.

I know for a fact some programs will finalize their lists by the end of the month. They don’t sit and agonize like we do, they have their rank meetings and after their last one they are done.
Yeah you have to tell them before they make theirs though.

Ok guys, could use some advice. I’m fairly certain my #1 had their last interview day this past Friday. Do I send my letter of intent now, or wait until early Feb? I’m conflictedddd.

Sending the day of my last interview in about a week. No need to sit on your hands if you’re sure imo