MD & DO co'21 Residency Panic thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can anyone comment about chances of matching at a program you had an interview at if you came off the waitlist? if that is my number 1 choice is it worth it to send them the letter of intent or will i be "wasting" it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
can anyone comment about chances of matching at a program you had an interview at if you came off the waitlist? if that is my number 1 choice is it worth it to send them the letter of intent or will i be "wasting" it?

If it’s your number 1 idk how it would be “wasting it”. I’m also kind of skeptical of just how much a letter of intent does (I’m still sending one tho lol)

Reactions: 5 users
25 interviews attended for Ped? Is this typical for ped even w couple match lol?
Its definitely normal to attend 20+ interviews for couples matching. It doesn't really have anything to do with your overall chance of matching, just trying to increase the combos of programs where I would be able to live with my partner. That being said I did attend some interviews that I either won't rank or will rank very low because my partner did not end up getting an interview nearby.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it’s your number 1 idk how it would be “wasting it”. I’m also kind of skeptical of just how much a letter of intent does (I’m still sending one tho lol)
Idk why people keep saying it is their #1 yet hesitant to send letter or interview etc...🤦‍♀️

I keep telling myself to enjoy the time I have left until March...since who knows if good or bad thing will happen...yet I am so anxious and stressed out of match day...so many uncertainties...getting a job after years of hard work...families...etc...😭😢

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Sending the day of my last interview in about a week. No need to sit on your hands if you’re sure imo
I've got 4 interviews left. My last is February 9th and it's a good program so I'm not making my list until after that.
Has anyone heard if letters of intent actually increase your odds of matching? Or is it some gunner myth that it needs to be done so now everybody does it but they really don't do jack $hit.

Idk why people keep saying it is their #1 yet hesitant to send letter or interview etc...🤦‍♀️
Some of my favorites look extremely similar on paper. Especially without an actual in person interview experience. I'm basically ranking some places based on lame reasons like slightly less cold winters

Reactions: 7 users
Some of my favorites look extremely similar on paper. Especially without an actual in person interview experience. I'm basically ranking some places based on lame reasons like slightly less cold winters
I let EMR and free parking sway me lol

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Worked 6 of 7 days. Now im off 4 of 5. EM is the life lolol

I'm on emed too. I had step 2 CK, my top choice interview, and an overnight shift all in 48 hours. Not the life.
No that actually sounds terrible.
im on nights later this week so i am soo excited for that.

I recently got a reply from a program director to a thank you email I sent right after I interviewed in November. I can't decide whether this means they've discussed me and intend to rank me highly (this is my #2 program) OR this just indicates the number of months the program director is behind on their emails :unsure:

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One resident let slip that their program doesn't do any alcohol at social events... to the DNR you go...

• Haha
One resident let slip that their program doesn't do any alcohol at social events... to the DNR you go...
Oof. Idk what my program really did before covid but most of our events are BYOB and people can drink if they want to.

Reactions: 1 users
Kinda carrying on the LOI/Rank #1 email convo:

Who you guys sending your love letter to? PD? PC? Someone else? Multiple people?

I sent mine to the PD and received a favorable response.

That's awesome, congrats!

Kinda going off of this (for anybody who knows)... should we expect responses after #1 rank emails? Or is it like post-interview thank you messages, & you may or may not receive a response?

Kinda carrying on the LOI/Rank #1 email convo:

Who you guys sending your love letter to? PD? PC? Someone else? Multiple people?
I was gonna do PD/APD/PC all in one go. But my top program has a DO as an APD who reads all DO apps and an MD as a PD who does the same for their apps so that's why I'm sending it to the APD

I sent mine to PD, APD, PC and a couple residents. PD and APD responded favorably.

Did you send them individually or did you just CC everyone else in original email to PD?

Did you send them individually or did you just CC everyone else in original email to PD?
All separate and somewhat personalized. I figured they're my #1 so why not put in the time to make it legit.

That's awesome, congrats!

Kinda going off of this (for anybody who knows)... should we expect responses after #1 rank emails? Or is it like post-interview thank you messages, & you may or may not receive a response?
I was honestly surprised I received one. But, it was very positive and I’m hoping for a favorable outcome come March 19

• Love
Just snagged another II from a SoCal program.

Reactions: 10 users
how long should an LOI be? should I keep it short, a few sentences to a paragraph telling them they are my #1?

or should it be longer, a few paragraphs, detailing WHY they are my #1? I sent a lengthy thank you to the PD after my interview that basically explained the why, and I want to make sure it gets read.

At the same time, I want them to know how much I desperately want to be there....

how long should an LOI be? should I keep it short, a few sentences to a paragraph telling them they are my #1?

or should it be longer, a few paragraphs, detailing WHY they are my #1? I sent a lengthy thank you to the PD after my interview that basically explained the why, and I want to make sure it gets read.

At the same time, I want them to know how much I desperately want to be there....
Mine was only like, 5 sentences. Short, sweet, concise, to the point.

I was honestly surprised I received one. But, it was very positive and I’m hoping for a favorable outcome come March 19
Same here. And the way I look at it is: why lead me on if I've already clearly stated that I'm ranking you #1? I'm hopeful that the positive response is genuine, since it wouldn't appear that they gain anything by being falsely positive.

Mine was 3 paragraphs, and I cited specific curriculum notes and location details that added to my decision. I also talked about how awesome the residents were (that I interacted with) and how I would fit in with them.

As long as you're genuine, then I don't think the length makes much of a difference.

I'm keeping mine 5-6 sentences with a couple specific reasons. I think as long as the sentence "you're my #1" is in there the effect is the same haha.

Advice i once got from a PD (my #1.. i didnt match there) that you should personalize your LOI a bit. Dont make it super long.
You asked a PD at interview day how they like their LOIs?

I take it you REALLY liked this program haha

• Haha
You asked a PD at interview day how they like their LOIs?

I take it you REALLY liked this program haha
LOVED it lol
But no, i knew this PD from multiple rotations and email communication

How many interviews did you guys do in total?
16 PM&R, canceled 5 (22 total including a rotation which the interview was the rotation). Plus another 10+ for TY. Interviews won’t be finished until next week. Ready to be done but figuring out how to rank will be the hardest part

Last edited:
16 PM&R, canceled 5. Plus another 10+ for TY. Interviews won’t be finished until next week. Ready to be done but figuring out how to rank will be the hardest part
How many TY did you apply to to get 10 IIs?

How many TY did you apply to to get 10 IIs?
About 40, really wanted to do a TY. I applied to some prelims too but not much yield on that end. I tried targeting programs that had DOs

The key to a great TY yield is applying to every florida TY lol. HCA does 1 thing good for medicine and that's having some cush TYs in warm places.
haha being that I'm in Florida where I see a ton of pretty cush HCA TYs in great locations, and not applying TY..... I kept not understanding what the problem was.

haha being that I'm in Florida where I see a ton of pretty cush HCA TYs in great locations, and not applying TY..... I kept not understanding what the problem was.
TYs in other places are competitive as hell. I felt imposter syndrome at TY interviews and none on advanced interviews for a reason.

HCA does 1 thing good for medicine and that's having some cush TYs in warm places.
Im convinced HCA is the #1 supplier for hospitalists as well. So many IM programs sponsored by HCA here in Florida haha.

Idk how I feel about it. I'm thankful I've got a good chance at matching close to home (thanks HCA) but i feel like the myriad of programs is a ploy by HCA to drive compensation down.

• Hmm
In other news, just finished my last interview.

When are we changing the header to "Rank Panic Thread" ?

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
**** it will shoot my shot next week and send my letter of intent to a top 5 ranked program in my competitive specialty. *something something go big or go home* they might literally not care because they get so many LOIs but I gotta try.

Me writing thank you letters to my #1 while listening to this song that I found from Queen's Gambit.

• Haha
I had one interview this residency cycle...and was in family medicine. At my interview session, they offered all the prospective candidates who interviewed that day, an opportunity for a second look. Given that this is my only interview, I have scheduled a second look with them. I wanted to ask generally what to expect on a second look (i.e. itenary) and also how to prepare for this? Should I brush up on some topics (ex: commonly seen cases in FM) or is this more of an informal session? I just want to know what to expect.

I understand that the second look will likely not improve my chances of matching much at all....but even if it improves it slightly....I don't want to miss on the opportunity. More importantly, I don't want to worsen my chances. So I would appreciate any advice on this matter.

Im convinced HCA is the #1 supplier for hospitalists as well. So many IM programs sponsored by HCA here in Florida haha.

Idk how I feel about it. I'm thankful I've got a good chance at matching close to home (thanks HCA) but i feel like the myriad of programs is a ploy by HCA to drive compensation down.
Yo it actually is. I don't have the link with me but a resident I knew had mentioned that there was a leaked audio of an HCA board meeting within the last year or two and they explicitly say that their main goal is to get more residency programs up and going to help drive down physician compensation in the South East region. Right now it's primarily IM but I think they plan to open more EM programs too

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users