Code of conduct violation for COVID testing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamStars

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently got a notification from my Student Conduct Office stating that I was in violation of testing compliance last week. Last week I was prevented from scheduling a test due to a hold on my account. I am trying to appeal the decision because of this but I don't know if it will work. I don't know if this counts as an IA but basically the conduct office stated that if I miss anymore tests, they may revoke my housing privileges. Would this be a probation/IA? I was fully compliant with testing before this infarction and plan on being fully compliant in the future. I just don't know why this is happening. I can't even fathom trying to write about this on my application. Not doing testing during the worst global health crisis in years, I'd feel like that's an auto reject for any medical school regardless of circumstances. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so as long as you get the hold cleared up.

Hello,

I recently got a notification from my Student Conduct Office stating that I was in violation of testing compliance last week. Last week I was prevented from scheduling a test due to a hold on my account. I am trying to appeal the decision because of this but I don't know if it will work. I don't know if this counts as an IA but basically the conduct office stated that if I miss anymore tests, they may revoke my housing privileges. Would this be a probation/IA? I was fully compliant with testing before this infarction and plan on being fully compliant in the future. I just don't know why this is happening. I can't even fathom trying to write about this on my application. Not doing testing during the worst global health crisis in years, I'd feel like that's an auto reject for any medical school regardless of circumstances. Please help.
You do know why it’s happening. You told us. Did you get your account cleared up? You should be fine as long as you comply and don’t get kicked out of student housing.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: It seems this will not be overturned and will be counted as an IA (code of conduct violation). Will reporting this IA to med schools kill my application? Of course not planning on hiding it, that would be stupid. Just want to guage the damage.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Update: It seems this will not be overturned and will be counted as an IA (code of conduct violation). Will reporting this IA to med schools kill my application? Of course not planning on hiding it, that would be stupid. Just want to guage the damage.
I'm not an adcom, but I simply refuse to believe this will be fatal. You need to clear the hold and get your test. If the school won't relent, even though it is really an administrative thing and it might jeopardize your future, then you have to explain it on your apps and hope for the best. I just cannot believe that the school would prevent you from getting a COVID test due to a financial hold on your account, if the tests are so f***ing important!!! That would be the focus of my appeal to the administration, as high up as I'd have to take it.

Why was your account on hold?
They are almost always due to unpaid balances. Not letting you do stuff is leverage they use to get you to pay, but screwing around with testing during a pandemic over an unpaid balance, and then hitting OP with an IA over it, is unconscionable.

Reactions: 3 users
They are almost always due to unpaid balances. Not letting you do stuff is leverage they use to get you to pay, but screwing around with testing during a pandemic over an unpaid balance, and then hitting OP with an IA over it, is unconscionable.
This is so true. It’s actually counter productive. That’s why it would be helpful to know why the account was on hold. Putting account on hold for late fees and denying a COVID test because of it is surprising.

I think the ultimate answer is; no, this should not be detrimental to your applications, even if it results in an IA, so long as it is an absolutely ridiculous reason for why your account was put on hold.

The hold was an administrative mistake. If you are positive with COVID, they instruct you to self-isolate and not leave your dorm. My hold was cleared later that week when they realized I didn't have COVID but at that point all testing facilities had no appointments left. After talking to the Student Conduct Office, it seems I will still have the IA since I should've realized the hold earlier and contacted earlier.

The hold was an administrative mistake. If you are positive with COVID, they instruct you to self-isolate and not leave your dorm. My hold was cleared later that week when they realized I didn't have COVID but at that point all testing facilities had no appointments left. After talking to the Student Conduct Office, it seems I will still have the IA since I should've realized the hold earlier and contacted earlier.
If this is true, this is absolutely ridiculous, and I would 1000% appeal this.

Secondly, it is so ridiculous - if true - that no medical school is going to keep you out because of it.

Thank God I finished undergrad before COVID. I have so much sympathy for you all trying to juggle these responsibilities during this crisis. I can't even imagine getting an IA because of something so asinine as the situation you're describing. I'm sorry OP, but also not as an adcom, I refuse to believe that this will be detrimental to your application. Even if you have to report it, a couple sentences will be more than enough to address and forget it.

Since the only thing that's been helping is trying to writing what I'll be saying come checking that dreaded IA box, I was wondering if you guys could take a look at this and see if this is acceptable:

During the Spring Semester of 2021, I received a notification from my Student Conduct Office that I missed my COVID-19 asymptomatic testing during the period of February 15, 2021 – February 27, 2021. As such, I was given a Deferred Housing Removal and warned that any further missed tests may result in loss of on-campus privileges and on-campus housing. I was fully compliant with testing before and after this lapse and no further action resulted.

I want to clarify that personal responsibility was of upmost importance to me during the pandemic and that the missed testing was not due to any malicious intent or negligence but rather a misunderstanding with the asymptomatic test scheduling software.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait so is this a voluntary program you signed up for (e.g. you're off campus and want to get tested) or are you in the dorms and are required to get tested? Nonetheless reach out to an administrator, this is BS.

edit: sorry just saw your last post. Regardless I still think it's no issue, clearly not your fault if it's due to fiances. not ao but my two cents!

So basically a past due bill caused you to miss your COVID test, which caused you to get an IA?
I agree with everyone else here. Adcoms will read this and laugh because of how ridiculous is it. Reach out to the dean and see if he can get it cleared up for you.

If this is true, this is absolutely ridiculous, and I would 1000% appeal this.

Secondly, it is so ridiculous - if true - that no medical school is going to keep you out because of it.
This^^^^^^. I would go to the Office of the President if I had to in order to have this removed before it touches a med school application. An IA because you did not clear their administrative mistake earlier is absolute BS, and they should realize it.

It's probably not worth the time or effort to get a lawyer involved, but the suggestion that you might consider doing so would be enough to provoke a favorable response. I just REALLY hope I don't go to your school, because they seem like an absolute nightmare to deal with.

Since the only thing that's been helping is trying to writing what I'll be saying come checking that dreaded IA box, I was wondering if you guys could take a look at this and see if this is acceptable:

During the Spring Semester of 2021, I received a notification from my Student Conduct Office that I missed my COVID-19 asymptomatic testing during the period of February 15, 2021 – February 27, 2021. As such, I was given a Deferred Housing Removal and warned that any further missed tests may result in loss of on-campus privileges and on-campus housing. I was fully compliant with testing before and after this lapse and no further action resulted.

I want to clarify that personal responsibility was of upmost importance to me during the pandemic and that the missed testing was not due to any malicious intent or negligence but rather a misunderstanding with the asymptomatic test scheduling software.
You are not mentioning that the test was missed because you were not permitted to schedule it due to an erroneous administrative hold place on your account. If true, you need to include that because that explains why and how it happened, and opposed to your being negligent, even with no malicious intent.

If what you say is true, thats dumb as **** on the school's part.

I don't think it will hold you back for your application though. If you have to report it as an official IA, just explain it. It seems like an administrative issue mostly.

You are not mentioning that the test was missed because you were not permitted to schedule it due to an erroneous administrative hold place on your account. If true, you need to include that because that explains why and how it happened, and opposed to your being negligent, even with no malicious intent.
How's this?

I want to clarify that personal responsibility was of upmost importance to me during the pandemic and that the missed testing was not due to any malicious intent or negligence. I was mistakenly asked to self-isolate due to possible COVID-19 symptoms or exposure, and as such, was not allowed to go to public testing facilities. Nonetheless, the responsibility fell on me to have cleared up this situation earlier and correct this administrative mistake. I remained fully complaint with testing afterwards as I had been before this misunderstanding.

You should probably go through the school bureaucracy to get this overturned. Save writing application essays until all other possibilities have been exhausted.

You should probably go through the school bureaucracy to get this overturned. Save writing application essays until all other possibilities have been exhausted.
This^^^^ for now. OP - Your desire to accept and acknowledge responsibility is admirable, and, if you have to disclose, you are certainly going to have to take some responsibility, but, to me, it sounds like you are going way overboard to fall on your sword if what you said in the beginning of the thread is true.

I'd frame it more along the lines of your account was mistakenly placed on an administrative hold, unbeknownst to you until you attempted to sign up for a required COVID test. Your failure to sign up for the test, because you were prevented from doing so due to the administrative hold, caused the school to issue an IA, for which you take full responsibility, even though you'd like to emphasize that the administrative hold that led to it was issued by the school in error and you were previously unaware of it.

If the school refuses to rescind the IA, I'd at least insist on a letter from them acknowledging that the hold was issued in error, and I'd include that along with my explanation. The consensus here is clearly that this going to end up being a big nothing for you, but it would be FAR better to have it removed rather than to have your application be subject to the extra level of scrutiny that will be necessary if you disclose an IA.

This is ridiculous and should be resolved if you can just catch the right person's attention. Talk to your student government president to see if they are willing to advocate for you or send an email to whatever your school's equivalent of a Dean of Students (Affairs) is and then keep escalating it up the chain from there.

UPDATE: Got the violation off my record. Guys, I can't thank you all enough. You really got me through this. Thank you!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users