code of conduct violation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rths24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have another thread about stupidly getting a misdemeanor 4 for trespassing (took pre-trial diversion, so the charges will be dismissed upon paying a fine and completing CS). Our school found out (the overall university NOT the med school) and if the allegations are found 'true' will put us on probation for violating the code of conduct.

how will this impact residencies for me, if that is what they do dole out? I'm deeply concerned for my future over something so stupid.

Thanks for any help--and yes I do have a lawyer-it does not help in this scenario with the school determining a punishment

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, yes, the proverbial "code of conduct" aka "Non-professional conduct" charge --- usually wielded by people who's life experience is high school/college/med school with a few hourly retail jobs thrown in for good measure who's idea of professionalism comes from books --- I've had people try to tell me that telling a ribald joke was "non-professional conduct"....but in the same breath be absolutely ok with "professional" dress that included slacks so tight you could use the wearer for an anatomical chart, thick Doc Marten shoes, canary yellow shirt with powder blue tie with a huge Windsor knot causing the tie length to end up somewhere between umbilicus and xiphoid process with a pencil line beard that stopped just short of point of the chin and then made a rather interesting lightning bolt like zig-zag to connect to the mustache...oh and don't forget the bilateral double CZ ear studs to complete the ensemble.....

Be prepared to explain it in a "just the facts ma'am" sort of way --- work that one out with your lawyer. It might be a good idea to have your lawyer with you at any further interactions with your school over this one. Lawyers in the room have a way of making people focus very clearly.

As far as residency impact -- who's to say? Ortho will probably laugh their butts off at it, slap you on the back and say,"Cool story, bro' " while IM will peer down their noses at the riff-raff in their presence; FM will remember to keep their eye on you at any trips to the bar, general surgery will likely never comment one way or the other, peds will defecate golden bricks "OMG, guns!!!!" -- whatever --- no one can predict so just clean it up neatly by following your lawyer's advice.

To quote a line in Animal House,"Face it. You effed up".

And if it helps -- there were some people in my class who didn't realize an online quiz was not a group project, nor did they realize that you weren't supposed to share what was on the practical exams with other tankmates who hadn't taken the exam -- they were called in and spanked -- graduated on time, a few specialty residencies in choice places, no worries.

Listen to your lawyer....

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.