1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

"Code Red" and the August 1st Deadline, Concerns

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 8675309, Jul 31, 2001.

1. 8675309

8675309 Member
    10+ Year Member

Well, I know everybody, including myself, is very concerned with all of AMCAS's problems but what about Code Red. It's supposed to hit at 8 pm tonight which just happens to be right before EDP applications are due into AMCAS. Also, the worm is supposed to have its epicenter at Washington, D.C., which just happens to be where AMCAS is located.

I think the pre-osteopathic students created and released the Code Red worm, anybody else.
    (note: sarcasm)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Membership Revoked
    Removed

SURELY AMCAS will get the patch from Microsoft and install it on all their computers with NT/2000.

Its an easy fix so as long as mutant worms arent generated everything should be OK.

4. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

LOL, yeah, I have complete faith in the AMCAS
    programmers. I'm pretty sure AMCAS paid top dollar to lure some of these guys away from their MICROSOFT stock options. Whatever. I'm screwed. You're screwed. We're all screwed. At this stage in the game, all I can really do is laugh with every knew travesty that befalls AMCAS during this application cycle. If I don't get into med school, I'm gonna use my IT background to get a job at AMCAS. Apparently, you don't need to know anything about computers or programming to work in their IT department. I'll be department head in no time!

5. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So the time has passed.... any word on the worm and AMCAS?

6. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Membership Revoked
    Removed

I tried to access their website but couldnt. I'm hoping the reason for this is that they voluntarily shutdown outside access while the worm was propagating.

Of course the worm could have caused the website to shutdown as well.

7. Dylann FMD

Dylann FMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I accessed my application right afterwards without conflict, and everything looks good, so it looks like we'll be safe.

8. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I glad nothing came of it as it is enough that this year's applicants has suffered enough... Thanks for the reply.