Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

CoFactor V. CoEnzyme?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Dr. Wall$treet, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Dr. Wall$treet

Banned

hey can someone tell me hte diff between these two. in every book i read they mention that they are pretty much the same thing except that a cofactor is something our body usually makes anda coenzyme is something like a vitamin in which we have to ingest to get... but as far as mechanistic explanations or behaviours is there a difference? ok thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. i think some enzymes require a cofactor in order to work.

4. coenzymes work along with enzymes also,

5. wait, cofactors are coenzymes and they are required in some reactions along with enzymes

6. sorry for padding ur posts but i just found this

cofactor = metal ion or complex organic molecule called coenzyme

7. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

cofactors are ions and coenzymes are vitamins usually

both are required for enzymatic reactions

8. Cofactor - molecules, other than proteins, that combine in the structure of enzymes and which help enzymes affect chemical reactions

Coenzyme - an organic cofactor

9. COENZYME - A nonproteinaceous organic substance that usually contains a vitamin or mineral and
    combines with a specific protein, the apoenzyme, to form an active enzyme system.

COFACTOR - A substance, such as a metallic iron or coenzyme, that must be associated with an
    enzyme for the enzyme to function.

alrite thats all, pick one.

10. Flack Pinku

Flack Pinku U lookin at my glasses??

Cofactor is usually just an inorganic ion or molecule--Fe3+ is a cofactor of Hemoglobin. This would be attached to the "prosthetic" groups of enzymes.

Coenzyme is an organic molecule, which sticks to allosteric regulatory sites usually, either inhibiting or activating an enzyme to bind to its substrate.

Without its required cofactors and/or coenzymes, an enzyme won't work.

This is as deep as I think you need to know for the MCAT.

Please correct me if there are any mistakes...

11. Tyra

Tyra Member

They're both virtually the same...

Cofactors activate apoenzymes (the protein portion of the enzyme). Together, they form the holoenzyme (remember "whole" enzyme). The difference is only that a coenzyme is an organic molecule whereas the cofactor is not. Examples of a cofactor would be like zinc or magnesium.
    Hope this helps!:)

12. MedQuest

MedQuest Da Truth

coenzymes are just a kind of cofactor.

Cofactor- Nonprotein molecules required by many enzymes for activity. Two important types of cofactors are metal cations (ZN,Fe) and small organic groups called coenzymes.

Coenzymes- An organic cofactor required for enzyme activity.
    Example= biotin