Coffee....i should stop!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acute

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
although i dont have dark pigmented teeth:D
but i think i should stop...

Members don't see this ad.

hey, it's better than crack

Originally posted by acute
although i dont have dark pigmented teeth:D
but i think i should stop...

There's always teeth whitening. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Mmmm. I love coffee. I've always loved the tast and smell of coffee, but I have always avoided drinking it due to fear of being addicted to it. Unfortunately, this year, free coffee has been offered at about all of our morning reports, so I am now a coffee addict. I'm so much of a coffee addict that part of my criteria in choosing which residency that I want to go to is whether or not there will be free coffee in the morning. In terms of coffee stains on your teeth, you might just try drinking a cup of water right after you finish your coffee. You should probably do this anyways since coffee tends to dehydrate you since caffeine is a diuretic.

Originally posted by KyGrlDr2B
There's always teeth whitening. :D
Now you're talking. And go get custom trays made instead of buying stuff off the supermarket shelf. Be a chum and help your dentist make his boat payment ;)

Originally posted by ckent
In terms of coffee stains on your teeth, you might just try drinking a cup of water right after you finish your coffee. You should probably do this anyways since coffee tends to dehydrate you since caffeine is a diuretic.
Rinsing your mouth right afterward isn't a bad idea, if you can remember to do it. As far as dehydration, the diuretic action of the caffeine isn't enough to completely offset the liquid intake (unless you're drinking nuclear espresso or something). You'll lose some of the water, but not all. The rule of thumb I've heard most often is to consider caffeinated drinks to count for half in your daily water intake (i.e., can of soda counts for 6oz instead of 12).

can you imagine what our country would be like if we had no coffee? work wouldn't start til 12pm, we'd end work at 3pm, sleep 12 hours a day, the economy would sink, people would die, and all america would go to hell.

uh oh...did i just disclose a potential terrorist target?

:laugh:

doesn't anyone besides me not drink caffeine on a regular basis?

Originally posted by jbish
doesn't anyone besides me not drink caffeine on a regular basis?

My boyfriend never drinks it...such a pansy! ;)

Yeah, I don't drink it. Maybe have a soda once a day or so, but I stay away from the caffeine. About once a year I'll have a cup, and even then I get pretty anxious and GI issues (nausea).

I guess that it also helps that I'm from Utah and a lot of my friends didn't drink it there either.

My brother say's to hold off until year 3/4 or residency, because by then I'll REALLY need the extra kick!

I just quit, about 3 weeks ago.

I seriosly went from filling my Nalgene (1 L) with coffee at night when going to the library or getting two double espressos if studying at a coffee shop to no coffee whatsoever overnight. Cold turkey.

But I had to do it, because I seriously realized I had gotten an increase in my baseline BP (we're doing PE stuff), and I just couldn't relax no matter what.

I still have to titrate myself with tea (I drank more tea in the last 3 weeks than in last 3 years combined), but it's getting much better. At first, it was a nightmare. I didn't think I could do it. The first couple of days I felt like I had a constant jet lag. I got nothing done for a few days.

at the beginning of the year it was one large cup of coffee from espresso royale...after 9 classes and a semester later it's grown to 2 large coffees each with 1 to 2 espresso shots...i'm afraid of withdrawal migraines in may

is that your pic. aphistis?? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by acute
is that your pic. aphistis?? :rolleyes:
Condensed to a 50x50 image, it certainly is.

As for coffee, I've always been a huge drinker, but I'm finding myself having to cut back. On lab days when we're doing procedures, even my one cup in the morning is enough to give me tremors in the afternoon. I've had to switch to decaf three mornings a week. For shame, for shame. :mad:

Is espresso more "effective" than normal coffee?

I am a certified coffee achiever, and was recently told by my MD to give up coffee or switch to decaf!!! This after buying the BMW of all espresso/coffee machines:mad:

Oh, well, whatever...Got crema?

Guess I have to admit I'm a decaf mochafreak. I stopped drinking caffeine several years ago. You do actually get used to it, but it is a painful process. Of course, now I'm addicted to chocolate...which has two different stimulants. :D I feel better after a chocolate buzz, than a caffeine buzz though.

i loooove coffee! nothing beats the smell of freshly brewed coffee in the morning. my coffeemaker has a timer which automatically brews coffee at a set time and I just love waking up to the aroma! lol, it serves ay my alarm clock! :D

I am to the point that I don't drink coffee to stay awake--I drink it to stay alive. I recently discovered the joy of the french press. It's the closest to coffee nirvana that I have achieved yet.

There is nothin wrong with coffee , I guess.
My anatomy Professor takes in a lot of coffee, he seems to like it very much. He usually stops in the middle of his lectures to remind us of the fact that he has not taken his mid-morning or mid-afternoon coffee.
I seldom take coffee... I hate its effect on my heart. I'd like to stick to my normal pulse rate.

i guess i am missing out... :)

mmmm....french press is a great way to make coffee. Or a home espresso machine.....i have a capresso....pretty much a piece of crap (but it was expensive enough) compared with the really pricey machines (think a grand or two).

I think i'm going to go make some coffee right now...

I also have a Capresso, the Jura Impressa model. It's absolutely divine. Shots in less than 30 seconds with the creamiest most flavorful crema on top...delish. I haven't been to a coffee kiosk since.

Ahhh, the french press. It's about the only way to add flavor to decaf. My mom bought me an electric model. You fill it with water, hit the switch, water boils in about 1-2 min, it automatically turns off after the water boils, then add coffee. Makes yummy, HOT coffee. One of the best inventions ever. :love:

I'm all about the grinder/coffee maker in one combo. Beans+H20=heaven....ummmm

Originally posted by logos
mmmm....french press is a great way to make coffee. Or a home espresso machine.....i have a capresso....pretty much a piece of crap (but it was expensive enough) compared with the really pricey machines (think a grand or two).

I think i'm going to go make some coffee right now...

even my black and decker ghetto espresso maker (it at least has a steaming wand) suffices for me ... i was initiated into the espresso snob world, however, by working as a barista for over a year - and i was spoiled rotten by all the free yummies made on the cadillacs of espresso machines. my little B&D guy at home now has to suffice - i'm way too poor to pay $3/drink when i can get a pound of beans for $10 or so ... that lasts me months, too.

this week has been bad - i've started getting caffeine headaches if i don't get a fix ... i've had a lot of caffeine this week. i need to start weaning myself off. unfortunately, the caffeine is sometimes the only thing that helps motivate me and give me the energy to study. :rolleyes:

i am probably making no sense now b/c i am caffeine-less.

Good coffee is one of few things that I truly enjoy every day. It never gets old. It is one of life's simple pleasures.

My wife asked me, "Why do I have to make sacrifices when you drink that expensive coffee."

Because it's good. It's dignified. It's not just coffee for caffeine intake.

Important: Grind your own beans. You'll never willingly go back to Folgers.

Originally posted by Singh
Is espresso more "effective" than normal coffee?

It's about the same thing in a smaller package (and not for the faint of heart).

I think maximum "effectiveness" comes from sipping whatever coffee you are drinking. If you chug, it may even be counterproductive (makes me sleepy). Latte's taste really good, but you end up breaking study concentration to make multiple trips to the potty.

i thought i heard awhile back on NPR that caffeine reduces the risk of certain types of cancer?

Originally posted by modelcitizen
i thought i heard awhile back on NPR that caffeine reduces the risk of certain types of cancer?

It reduces the risk of Gallbladder Cancer! Too bad it's not lung, breast, or prostate.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system!
swandive

yes...grinding your own beans is pretty important...do so with a burr grinder if you can (instead of the blade style)...espicially if you're going to use an espresso machine.

It also helps to not buy more than a weeks worth of roasted beans at a time (green is ok)...although thats not always practical.

Then just make sure to use good water and never let the water get over 200F, irregardless of which method of brewing you choose.

Yep...I had one of those black and decker steam powered type things for awhile....sometimes they're not that bad...after awhile you learn how to make your machine perform to your taste....but they do get way to hot and not near optimal pressure. My capresso was a big improvement...but if I could do it again I would have spent a little extra to get one of those ugly italian machines...like gaggia or solaris or even la pavoni....as i've decided that I dont like the electronic contols or the tamp free heads on the capresso.

heh i got my B&D at a rummage sale for $5. you're right - ghetto, but i've learned to work it a bit to suit my tastes as best i can w/o one of the nice nice machines. if i add enough vanilla to my latte, sometimes it's hard to tell it didn't come from a coffeeshop. *laugh* especially the yuck stuff they make at the med school coffee kiosks.