cognitive ability screening measures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazure

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a student in the Honours' Thesis course who wants to briefly assess his
participants on cognitive ability (e.g., verbal reasoning, mathematical abilities, spatial reasoning, logical abilities, pattern recognition, classification, and visualization). Given that he is an undergraduate student, he does not have access to intelligence tests such as the WAIS in the university psych resource centre. Does anyone know of any easily obtainable and brief cognitive ability measures that he could use? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

lazure said:
Hi all,
I have a student in the Honours' Thesis course who wants to briefly assess his
participants on cognitive ability (e.g., verbal reasoning, mathematical abilities, spatial reasoning, logical abilities, pattern recognition, classification, and visualization). Given that he is an undergraduate student, he does not have access to intelligence tests such as the WAIS in the university psych resource centre. Does anyone know of any easily obtainable and brief cognitive ability measures that he could use? Thanks in advance

What about the Shipley Institute of Living Scale? It's a bit out of date (I think there are published associations between the SILS and the WAIS-R but not the WAIS-III), but it's still widely used.

I'll look into it - thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Check out MMSE (Mini-Mental State Examination)
and Cognistat (Neurobehavioral Cognitive Status Examination).
More info about each and others at www.parinc.com
Peace.

Look on Psych Corp and Par's web sites. Also, the K-BIT is quick and dirty.

Thanks for all the suggestions. However, this for an undergraduate student who has no money to buy tests or training to administer psychometric instruments during a research methods project. We told him to look for a suitable set of GRE questions.

I highly recommend the book "A Compendium of Neuropsychological Tests: Administration, Norms, and Commentary" by Otfried Spreen, Esther Strauss

You should be able to find it in a medical/university library or be able to inter-library order. If you look it up on Amazon, it will even show you a table of contents with which tests the book has (plenty). It also gives you the benefit of understanding the scoring and what the test is measuring.