Cognitive psychology schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lt1196

Reaction score
Hmm. I don't know how that happened.

Anyway, I'm looking to apply to schools for Cognitive psych. I assume that an experimental track would be the best idea, but I'm here to learn.

Whether or not that is true, how can I find a list of schools that may have relevant programs? I like learning and memory. There's a lot of work to be done. Perception is amazing too, but I'm not looking to go into neuropsych, so I'll leave it alone for now.

Thanks for the help.

thewesternsky

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to find memory researchers who are doing good work, and then apply to those schools. If you have no geographic restrictions (which is ideal!) and you have good grades/GREs/research experience, you'll have lots of options and can apply to some of the best labs in the country or the world. (You can also apply to a few back-up places). If you do have geographic restrictions, then check the schools in your area/state and apply to anyone doing interesting work on learning or memory.

lt1196

Reaction score
I know. I am not proficient in Bio, and that's the only thing that holds me back - because neuroscience will get closer to answering the unanswerable questions that drive me than any other field could.

That being said, cognitive is equally "close to home" so to speak, because cognition is all that I do - all that I can notice anyway. The biological explanations are so...concrete. I don't know how to best express the thought...they don't interest me any more, that is, contemplating them doesn't excite me any more than contemplating cognition more purely, albeit less specifically, so it isn't worth the extra schooling for me.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm more than ready to 'get going' and am not interested in further undergraduate work.