Cognitive Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amar314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody. First time posting in this specific forum, I've been all over the place for the last year thinking about what I want to do career wise. I think I've finally found something I might really enjoy, cognitive psychology.

I've *just* started reading upon it so is anyone here interested in the field or have any advise or websites with info?

I'm interested in the research and treatment aspect of the field and not much the teaching. I would love to focus on memory and linguistics. Right now I'm a bio major, so I'll eventually have to change that.

So as far as undergrad goes, should I focus on finding a research position or volunteering? Sorry if I'm asking the wrong questions, I'm just not too sure where to start!

Any help is appreciated, thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP! Anyone? Any advice would be helpful :)

Hello everybody. First time posting in this specific forum, I've been all over the place for the last year thinking about what I want to do career wise. I think I've finally found something I might really enjoy, cognitive psychology.

I've *just* started reading upon it so is anyone here interested in the field or have any advise or websites with info?

I'm interested in the research and treatment aspect of the field and not much the teaching. I would love to focus on memory and linguistics. Right now I'm a bio major, so I'll eventually have to change that.

So as far as undergrad goes, should I focus on finding a research position or volunteering? Sorry if I'm asking the wrong questions, I'm just not too sure where to start!

Any help is appreciated, thanks so much!

amar314, cognitive psychology is a branch of psychology to which all professional psychologists are exposed. You'll need to research what type of program you should pursue, you could start here by reading up on the different doctoral degrees offered by CUNY: https://www.gc.cuny.edu/Page-Elemen...ters-Initiatives/Doctoral-Programs/Psychology and extrapolate to your desire areas and related programs. You can be a researcher focused only on cognitive neuroscience or cognitive development, but you will most likely be required to teach (at some level) depending on where you land a job.

If you are interested in a treatment aspect, you will need to be a clinician...so degrees in clinical, counseling or school may interest you. As a clinical psychologist trainee, we are all exposed to cognitive and affective (which pertains to emotions) psychology. And memory and linguistics are evaluated by our training in psychometrics and diagnostic testing.

As far as undergrad goes, yes...focus on finding a research position and volunteering will be best. And there are never "wrong" questions...just do some more research on your desired goal and grunt work to make your dedication more evident, and post on the WAMC thread.

BTW: there is no need to change your bio major as along as you take the prerequisites for graduate school in psychology. And some advice: If true for you, don't say "you were pre-med, then decided it wasn't for you anymore" (everyone does that)...once you switch over to pre-doctoral psych, just consider the transformation to a new & improved career path like a new beginning, and leave that "should've, could've, would've " part out. It will fare better when you are an actual applicant.

Last edited: