Cohort culture relative to success - High rate of dismissals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SATXDPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cohort (Class of 2020) lost 2 students (out of 55) at the end of the first semester. They were dismissed/failed out. We haven't lost any more a year later.
The next cohort (Class of 2021) lost 2 students before finals and *5* more (out of 55) at the end of their first semester!
Don't you think this is surprisingly high?

There has been lots of discussion about what went wrong and my cohort believes that this new group of students are super competitive to the point being cut-throat.
My cohort seems much more supportive and cohesive. We have a lot of group study and share notes and are otherwise very supportive of each other.

I really don't think that the school itself did anything different with this group, the faculty hasn't changed.

It just seems that this group is less group oriented, and much more isolated. Is it just random luck that this group has a bunch of super competitive individuals? Or maybe they did have more students that were not prepared for the rigors of the program. Does having a poor student in your group cause tension that prevents the group from supporting each other?

Did you see any relationship between your cohort's culture and their success in the program?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree as much as I would like not to. The year above us seem to have a very cohesive environment yes there are groups of students who are closer with each other but they have parties together as a class and are always willing to work with anyone and in larger groups to ensure everyone is doing well. They all seem like one big very close friend group and they have only lost 1 in their cohort. We on the other hand are a group of highly competitive and independent individuals, we are too independent. Everyone has made it to DPT school by being alone and doing everything alone so working in groups comes down to their view vs. your view even when trying to study. While there is no reward for doing better than other students in PT school since there are no mandatory residencies to place into it seems odd the cut throat and stubborn independent nature still is present. I've struggled with this since I have opened my doors every Saturday to anyone who would like to group study. Alas, only 4 people ever showed up. We have lost 5 out of 36 over the course of 2 semesters. I feel as if I should be doing more to help people succeed in the program but have to remind myself it's not my responsibility. I was so excited to be in an area surrounded by individuals just as passionate about the field as I am and ready to help anyone in need as I am but that is not what I found. Hopes this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in my first year and we lost no one after the first semester and lost one after the second semester. Our dynamic as a class is very inclusive and supportive- always sharing notes and group studying. I really feel no level of competition between my peers. I know this is why I have been doing so well in my classes because I am not afraid to be wrong or be very hands on, which I believe is a similar case for the rest of my classmates.