Collecting Rejection Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StringerBell

It's the final countdown!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking an Endocrine Physiology class, and yesterday the professor showed a slide of Solomon Berson and Rosalyn Yalow's letter of rejection for publication of their paper on Exogenous Insulin Resistance.

This is the same research that lead to the development of the Radioimmunoassay, for which Yalow won the Nobel Prize in 1976.

Apparently, when she went to Stockholm to receive her award, she showed the slide of the rejection letter, thumbing her nose as the periodical that rejected her work.

Yesterday, I also received two (more) letters of rejection from medical schools. I think I will save them, to display proudly, just in case. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking an Endocrine Physiology class, and yesterday the professor showed a slide of Solomon Berson and Rosalyn Yalow's letter of rejection for publication of their paper on Exogenous Insulin Resistance.

This is the same research that lead to the development of the Radioimmunoassay, for which Yalow won the Nobel Prize in 1976.

Apparently, when she went to Stockholm to receive her award, she showed the slide of the rejection letter, thumbing her nose as the periodical that rejected her work.

Yesterday, I also received two (more) letters of rejection from medical schools. I think I will save them, to display proudly, just in case. ;)

Bright idea. :idea: You should have posted this yesterday when I went berserk and ripped into pieces all the rejection letters I've collected so far. :smuggrin:

Guzzy Ron, you seriously did that? What prompted this? I am saving mine for a ceremonial burning..

Members don't see this ad :)
An acquaintance of mine has, on the wall of his office, a framed copy of his med school rejection letter from the institution where he is now a department head.

Style points, style points

So my dad has been getting my mail (i've been everywhere but home). And he's put together a folder of everything, starting with acknowledgements of receiving the AMCAS, rejections, interview invites, withdrawal acknowledgements and acceptances. He even asked for all my interview folders. so whenever i decide i want one of them, they're safe somewhere in his office...

An acquaintance of mine has, on the wall of his office, a framed copy of his med school rejection letter from the institution where he is now a department head.

haha. awesome! :thumbup:

very nice indeed.

Bright idea. :idea: You should have posted this yesterday when I went berserk and ripped into pieces all the rejection letters I've collected so far. :smuggrin:

Lots of schools here send out rejections via email. There's no satisfaction of ripping anything up! I guess I can delete it without it going to my trash folder.

That has got to be one of the coolest things I've ever read.
But yeah, I've thrown away most of my rejection letters at this point, too. I can only keep the ones I have just received, and the ones still coming. :/

Because there are indeed more coming.

I have only 3 so far:( not much of a ceremonial burning

I have only 3 so far:( not much of a ceremonial burning

Only 3 rejections is a good thing, is it not?
Unless you applied to like 4 schools...

So yesterday I received a letter from USC (never interviewed there). I actually told my husband, "Goody my rejection letter!" Instead it was a reminder to apply for their financial aid :laugh: I just want my rejection already!

Only 3 rejections is a good thing, is it not?
Unless you applied to like 4 schools...
No, applied to 10 so it's a good thing:) I will save them just in case I ever end up working for any of the ones that rejected me, and I'll do the same trick that the above-mentioned dude did:D

Lots of schools here send out rejections via email. There's no satisfaction of ripping anything up! I guess I can delete it without it going to my trash folder.

print it, and then you can rip it up. and then print it again and file it away for future humiliation of the institution :laugh:

So yesterday I received a letter from USC (never interviewed there). I actually told my husband, "Goody my rejection letter!" Instead it was a reminder to apply for their financial aid :laugh: I just want my rejection already!

Aww man.
I didn't even receive a reminder for financial aid.
Should I assume that's a rejection? ;)

:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Awsome!

there is a safe deposit box at wells fargo in downtown san francisco that holds every one of my rejection letters, including 2 from kindergartens that didn't want me, a few middle schools, a few high schools, some select colleges, and every medical school i applied to last year. it's actually pretty pathetic, but i guess it's something i can show to my grandkids.

I save all my rejection letters too. hehehe. I don't know why...

I actually saved the UNC rejection from undergrad in my wallet until my sophomore year. I was walking throught the dorm when a friend of mine was doing a project on business letters. He needed a rejection letter so I figured it was God's way of telling me to get over it. I'd be like George Costanza with all my rejection letters now!!!

An interviewer told me about a great letter he got from Harvard after turning them down for another school. The letter essentially said "you can't turn us down because we're Harvard."

That's a letter to save.