College Admittance Exams vs. MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2CurlyGirl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, first off I'd like to say that I absolutely 100% know that the MCAT will be 474873910431 bazillion times harder than the college admittance tests! But I had a question about something my "mentor" told me. My first semester as an undergrad I was paired with a mentor, who was a senior and was applying to med schools. She asked me what I got on my ACT and I told her I'd gotten a 33. She then told me that she had also gotten a 33 but had a really "crappy" MCAT score and would be lucky to get accepted to a DO school and then she told me that I'd probably have the same problem. Okay...now is she just completely full of it??? What does my ACT have to do with my MCAT???

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by 2CurlyGirl
Alright, first off I'd like to say that I absolutely 100% know that the MCAT will be 474873910431 bazillion times harder than the college admittance tests! But I had a question about something my "mentor" told me. My first semester as an undergrad I was paired with a mentor, who was a senior and was applying to med schools. She asked me what I got on my ACT and I told her I'd gotten a 33. She then told me that she had also gotten a 33 but had a really "crappy" MCAT score and would be lucky to get accepted to a DO school and then she told me that I'd probably have the same problem. Okay...now is she just completely full of it??? What does my ACT have to do with my MCAT???

Absolutely nothing.

That's pretty much what I thought. I just couldn't figure out why she would make a comment like that! It was really weird.

i would imagine that there is a slight statistical correlation. sat scores tend to reflect gpa which tends to reflect mcat scores

The key is whether you take standardized tests well. If you did well on the SAT/ACT and assuming you've prepared adequately, odds are you'll also do well on the MCAT. But because it's based on subject matter rather than just a skills test like the college entrance exams, you obviously have to know the science material quite well.