College and Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HawkJ2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i am kind of new to the forums so as much advice as I can get would be greatly appreciated.

I am a sophmore in high school and I am joining something that is called "Running Start" which is basically going to college and getting both high school and college credits. I was just wondering should I take my basic classes now in my first two years then wait until I get into a university to take my more advanced classes?

Also I was wondering how many colleges did you apply for and how many medical schools did you apply for?

Also what was your college major and why do you think it will help you get into medical school and become successful?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys i am kind of new to the forums so as much advice as I can get would be greatly appreciated.

I am a sophmore in high school and I am joining something that is called "Running Start" which is basically going to college and getting both high school and college credits. I was just wondering should I take my basic classes now in my first two years then wait until I get into a university to take my more advanced classes?

Also I was wondering how many colleges did you apply for and how many medical schools did you apply for?

Also what was your college major and why do you think it will help you get into medical school and become successful?

Thank you

SDN needs a high school section. That is all I'm going to say.

Thank you

Only do Running Start if you are completely capable of handling rigorous science courses. The chemistry/biology/calculus/physics you encounter will be much, much more difficult than the equivalent high school, AP, or IB courses.

Most Running Start students that I know/see/talk to did rather poorly in the pre-med requirements. There are a few who did just fine, but they had high aptitude for science and math. Really high aptitude. And they still struggled.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you

i dont think it will make a difference when you take your courses. although it makes sense to take your basic courses before you take your advances courses, so why dont you start with that.....

I applied to 5 colleges. I knew from the beginning I would be deciding between two of them...the other 3 were just whatevers. One was a back up just in case i got denied from the other 4.

As far as med school, i'll be applying to about 10 or 15 schools. its just too friken expensive man.

My major is kinesiology. you shouldnt be worryin about what major will help you get into med school, the truth is none of them well if you dont do well. you should major in the subject that you are passionate about. it should be something that you enjoy learning about and are excited to go to class. i knew i wanted to be a kines major before I went to college. i love everything about the subject, and it fits well into my interest of sports medicine. will being a kines major help me get into med school? yes, only because i have absolutey loved every second of the courses that i took, and it shows with my GPA. if i had been a chemistry major or any other major, i would undoubtedly not have done is well b/c i'm not as intersted in the subject.

Thank you

That is a good idea actually.

I third this idea!