College Classes Taken in High School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted325463

So I was pissed when I found out several months ago that the 16 semester units worth of calculus classes I took at a state university during high school are included. It lowers my GPA by ~0.07 (I know it's not THAT much). [Edited 0.7 => 0.07]

Will adcoms take into account these were classes taken in high school? I know there are separate GPAs for high school and undergrad, so I'm guessing they give more weight to the undergrad GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will count towards your undergraduate GPA (sorry). I had the same problem with an art class that I took at a nearby college to fullfill my high school's art requirement. I'm by no means artistic, but I managed to get to a B. Thus I started college with a 3.0.

So I was pissed when I found out several months ago that the 16 semester units worth of calculus classes I took at a state university during high school are included. It lowers my GPA by ~0.7 (I know it's not THAT much).

Will adcoms take into account these were classes taken in high school? I know there are separate GPAs for high school and undergrad, so I'm guessing they give more weight to the undergrad GPA?

Same here! One stupid course lowered mine by 0.05. Btw, do you mean 0.07? 0.7 is a HUGE drop due to one course.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was pissed when I found out several months ago that the 16 semester units worth of calculus classes I took at a state university during high school are included. It lowers my GPA by ~0.7 (I know it's not THAT much).

I wouldn't worry about it. On the AMCAS application you specify when you took the class and there is a special option for high school. If everything looks good undergrad I doubt they would hold it against you.

It lowers my GPA by ~0.7 (I know it's not THAT much). QUOTE]

You have time as an advantage. You have >100 credits to bring this up, this is a much better situation than having a lower GPA after several years of credit. Work hard.

What if I didn't transfer the class I took in high school to my university, do i still have to incude it?

I hope that's a typo, because that is kind of a big drop.

Lol I'm sure he meant 0.07. A 0.7 drop could mean the difference between Harvard Med and 0 acceptances.

What if I didn't transfer the class I took in high school to my university, do i still have to incude it?

Yes, you do. Application rules state you must submit transcripts from every college you have ever taken a course at.

You could just not submit that transcript (against rules), and see what happens. I wouldn't recommend such a thing, but it all depends on how lucky you feel.

Update: I called UCSF Med School admissions office (my #1 choice), and the guy said I was fine.

Still, I wish AMCAS would display a separate GPA for "pre-undergraduate" work and actual undergraduate work. Or something that makes me feel better haha. I mean, how many high school students who are future med school applicants know that grades from college courses taken in high school are counted? I sure didn't. I didn't even know I wanted to go to medical school.

I also e-mailed my high school counselor and told her that they should inform students taking college courses about this issue. She didn't take too kindly to that. Oh well.

Yea, if they don't accept pre-med credit requirements for exempted classes due to HS/early college studies, why should they care if you did poorly in any other pre-college course?

Update: I called UCSF Med School admissions office (my #1 choice), and the guy said I was fine.

Still, I wish AMCAS would display a separate GPA for "pre-undergraduate" work and actual undergraduate work. Or something that makes me feel better haha. I mean, how many high school students who are future med school applicants know that grades from college courses taken in high school are counted? I sure didn't. I didn't even know I wanted to go to medical school.

I also e-mailed my high school counselor and told her that they should inform students taking college courses about this issue. She didn't take too kindly to that. Oh well.

LizzyM has stated that your GPA is cut into at least 12 ways, including cGPA and BCMP GPA each year of undergrad (so they'll look at your pre-undergrad years and GPA of each year of college separately too, probably to check for rising trends).

Yes, you do. Application rules state you must submit transcripts from every college you have ever taken a course at.

You could just not submit that transcript (against rules), and see what happens. I wouldn't recommend such a thing, but it all depends on how lucky you feel.

I would actually love for you to apply without including your college credits taken during high school. Let me know how that turns out. You know what else you should do? Claim you saved babies in Bangladesh or even better won a Nobel prize for your cancer research. Yeah, that'd do it. Good luck :thumbup:

Wait, wouldn't you just mark it down as "high school?" Then it wouldn't be counted in the cGPA because it is written as "cumulative undergraduate GPA," which I'm assuming doesn't count high school college courses.

Wait, wouldn't you just mark it down as "high school?" Then it wouldn't be counted in the cGPA because it is written as "cumulative undergraduate GPA," which I'm assuming doesn't count high school college courses.

ANY college classes you take needs to be reported regardless of WHEN you take them.

ANY college classes you take needs to be reported regardless of WHEN you take them.

I know that it has to be reported, but if you report it as high school (because that's when it's being taken), then it counts toward your "high school GPA." (GPA for college courses taken while in high school). It does not count towards "cumulative undergraduate GPA." I doubt that they really care about your high school GPA.

I wouldn't worry about it. On the AMCAS application you specify when you took the class and there is a special option for high school. If everything looks good undergrad I doubt they would hold it against you.

Agreed, especially if you have shown great progress in your studies and GPA.

I know that it has to be reported, but if you report it as high school (because that's when it's being taken), then it counts toward your "high school GPA." (GPA for college courses taken while in high school). It does not count towards "cumulative undergraduate GPA." I doubt that they really care about your high school GPA.

Yes, it does count towards your cumulative undergraduate GPA:

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2009conversionguide.pdf

(see page 2)