College Credit from High School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ggplot2_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know there are various posts on this forum about college earned while in high school. I think I have a bit more a unique situation and couldn't find anything that really answered my question on various threads.

The high school I attended was a dual-enrollment school -- that is, I took high school classes and college classes at the same time. I have since graduated and am now a freshman at Ohio State University, but also considered a transfer student because I have two associate's degrees. Now that I'm here, I have 65 transfer credits and hardly any pre-req's to complete -- to be exact, just one. My GPA (which was a 4.0 for my college classes taken in high school) did not transfer here to OSU. I am curious, though, will the GPA from my associate's be a part of the GPA I report when applying to medical school? If not, I am certainly afraid that my GPA will be solely science!

In a way, does it not matter as medical schools look at science GPA separately?
I do realize I must send all transcripts to medical school, but just wondering how my GPA will work.

Members don't see this ad.

The high school I attended was a dual-enrollment school -- that is, I took high school classes and college classes at the same time. I have since graduated and am now a freshman at Ohio State University, but also considered a transfer student because I have two associate's degrees. Now that I'm here, I have 65 transfer credits and hardly any pre-req's to complete -- to be exact, just one. My GPA (which was a 4.0 for my college classes taken in high school) did not transfer here to OSU. I am curious, though, will the GPA from my associate's be a part of the GPA I report when applying to medical school? If not, I am certainly afraid that my GPA will be solely science!

In a way, does it not matter as medical schools look at science GPA separately?
I do realize I must send all transcripts to medical school, but just wondering how my GPA will work.
When you apply to med schools, you'll submit an original transcript from each college attended. AMCAS will calculate your application GPA and BCPM GPA according to its own rules and will incorporate into it every grade earned at every college attended, regardless of the policy at OSU. This will include the 65 credits (or the semester hour equivalent if another system was used) with a 4.0 GPA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When you apply to med schools, you'll submit an original transcript from each college attended. AMCAS will calculate your application GPA and BCPM GPA according to its own rules and will incorporate into it every grade earned at every college attended, regardless of the policy at OSU. This will include the 65 credits (or the semester hour equivalent if another system was used) with a 4.0 GPA.

tldr; yes lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting off with 65 credits of 4.0 is sweet. Keep it up though.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, they will be factored into your AMCAS gpa for undergrad. You will also need a transcript from that school when you apply (which can take time if it was a community college)...

Just a bit of advice--since you've saved some time by taking the classes early via dual enrollment, you can either graduate early (if cost is a factor) or delve into another area of interest (if your scholarship is for four years). It's the time in your life to NOT take all science classes (as you'll have more than a full load of only science your first few two years of medical school).

Thank you all for your replies! Very helpful.

The credits that transferred total a true credit hour values of 65. I am, by OSU standards, a junior. Thank you for your help!

Even though your dual enrollment grades won't count towards your OSU GPA, your dual enrollment grades WILL be included in your AMCAS calculations. You have to list all college credit/grades you got along with the institution they came from, and every single course will be taken into account when calculating the GPA med schools will see.

I was in a very similar situation - took PSEOP classes at a local state university while in high school, got around 30 credits, and ended up at a different university. I actually got a 4.0 for all my PSEOP classes and have a lower GPA at my current university, so this policy actually bumped up my GPA by about a tenth.

Congrats! I hope the 4.0 record I have will help out with my GPA as I am having a very hard time adjusting to the science curriculum here at OSU. Our chem department has been under review for 3+ years! I guess some don't think state schools are difficult but they truly are.

Starting off with 65 credits of 4.0 is sweet. Keep it up though.
Sometimes, when you're struggling like I am right now, simple comments like that help. Thank you so much!

Yes, they will be factored into your AMCAS gpa for undergrad. You will also need a transcript from that school when you apply (which can take time if it was a community college)...

Just a bit of advice--since you've saved some time by taking the classes early via dual enrollment, you can either graduate early (if cost is a factor) or delve into another area of interest (if your scholarship is for four years). It's the time in your life to NOT take all science classes (as you'll have more than a full load of only science your first few two years of medical school).

My scholarship does in fact cover four years (full ride) at the undergraduate level. I am, however, able to take graduate courses at my undergraduate level because of the program major I am in (Neuroscience). Any further thoughts? I'm awfully afraid of being rejected by med schools simply because I am too young. At the same time, why spend more time in undergrad if I'm so ahead?

why spend more time in undergrad if I'm so ahead?
To give you sufficient time to develop comprehensive, meaty ECs that are competitive with those taking a more traditional college path. You won't be excused for sparse activities because you are young. Your list will be scrutinized for evidence of maturity, just like every other applicant's.

I did the graduate course route, as well as taking a variety of classes. Very interesting and challenging (and they had more serious students than some of the undergrad classes). Unless you're extremely young (under 18-20) when you graduate, I doubt that you'll have problems with being too young. It's more of a problem for someone who graduates at 18, as a lot of states have laws about patient contact; thus, very young students can run into issues getting experience/acceptance, though some go the MD/PhD route. However, you'll never get your college years back, so I'd recommend making the most of them for four years with the extra/grad classes ;)