College-help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Furstan88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I want to move to the US this Fall semester to begin my pre-med studies, but I'm lost in the college-jungle. I realize that I might be out in the last minute, but there must some colleges that still accept application for the Fall semester?

What kind of program will have to apply for? Is there a certain "pre-med" program that some colleges offer or how does it work?

Do you recommend a certain college? I'm thinking about LA or NY but if there are only a few colleges in the whole US still accepting application, I'm open minded.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I want to move to the US this Fall semester to begin my pre-med studies, but I'm lost in the college-jungle. I realize that I might be out in the last minute, but there must some colleges that still accept application for the Fall semester?

What kind of program will have to apply for? Is there a certain "pre-med" program that some colleges offer or how does it work?

Do you recommend a certain college? I'm thinking about LA or NY but if there are only a few colleges in the whole US still accepting application, I'm open minded.

Thanks in advance!

It is a little late to try to apply to a university for the upcoming year. Community college is a possibility.

Okay, all universities? Will I have a better chance getting into med school from a university rather than a community college?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, all universities? Will I have a better chance getting into med school from a university rather than a community college?

Usually people go to community college for 2 years and then transfer to a university after that. They seem to have no problem getting into medical school this way. This is probably the best route for you if you absolutely want to start school immediately. If you can wait for another year then you can likely get in to a university, provided you have everything required for admissions. I hope this helps.

Thanks for answer.

I really want to start right away, I have already spent one year at university here, which means I'm 20 already. Don't want to waste years.

All right, then I will search for some Community Colleges. Any recommendations? LA, Miami are cities I love.

If you read up on some of the "what should I major in?" threads in Pre-Allo you'll see that it doesn't matter what you major in, as long as you fulfill med schools' prerequisites. Often there is no "pre-med" major.

The cities you've mentioned (LA, NY and Miami) are all large metropolitan areas and each has a number of community colleges.

Where are you moving from?

Okay, I will search for some threads.

Yeah, I would like to have at least about 1 million people in the city. I lived in a city with 120.000 and it felt WAY too small. I'm moving from Sweden, Stockholm (1.7 million people) is where grew up and where I will be spending the summer.

Also remember that when it comes time to apply for medical schools, it would place you in a significant disadvantage if you are an international student even if you did your studies here.

I know, I will be applying to get a "green card" during my time at college. If I manage to get one, I will considered equal to you guys =). Problem is that it's almost impossible to get one.

You know a good site where I can search for CCs? All I can seems to be for both universities and CCs.

cc's usually let you apply and register like a few weeks before classes start. you could definitely still do that for the upcoming year. then, while you're studying there, you could look into 4 year schools to transfer to for the following academic year.

i'm not from any of the areas you're moving to, so i'm not familiar with the community colleges available.

There are some open enrollment 4-year UNIs you can look into, and you can register the day before classes for some in Ohio (not sure about the other states). I don't know if they require the SAT or ACT though.

it seems your youthful 20 year old-ness can choose wherever in the whole united states to live??!! that's great. i personally loved living in California, but it is expensive. if money is no thing, consider skipping LA and try a tad south, more in the orange county or San Diego area... either way, you can't go wrong. there are Community Colleges everywhere, you won't have any problem finding one. also, as someone said, if you are seriously set on jumping into a university you may find one that has open enrollment, but it may dictate where you move... i would stick to the CC --> university plan, it will get you in the game quicker (like you want) and give you the most options for domicile.

good luck.

Hi. I used to live in NYC so I can tell you that CUNY would probably be your best bet. They are still accepting students and have low tuition. Well for in-state students. When I went to CUNY Lehman it was $2000 for 12-18 credits. I think for out of state students it was 10k a year though. Not counting books and living expenses. That's still cheap. There's no specific "pre-med" program (as people have already stated above). However the school that I transferred from, Lehman College, has a pre-med minor. That's basically a certificate stating that you completed the courses required for most med schools. Like I said you still have a chance of getting into the 4 year CUNY schools. The main problem is that most students have registered already (which is true for the majority of US schools) for their fall classes. This means the majority of the science classes are full. So you'll probably (if you're lucky) be left with the classes nobody wanted, like early 7 am labs or late labs that start at 6 pm and end at 10 pm. The CUNY schools are as follows:

4-year Colleges
Hunter College
Baruch College
City College
City Tech
Brooklyn College
Lehman College
College of Staten Island
John Jay College (although I don't think John Jay offers science or math because it focuses on criminal justice)
Medgar Evers College
Queens College
York College

2 year colleges aka Community college

BMCC (borough of manhattan community college)
Bronx Community College
Hostos Community College
Kingsborough Community College
Laguardia Community College
Queensborough Community College

Any one of these schools would be a great place to start. You can check the cuny website (www.cuny.edu) for more info. Also if I remember correctly Hunter, Brooklyn and Lehman College have a program with SUNY Downstate. I think in your 3rd year if you are accepted you get to shadow physicians and take some classes there (not actual med school classes) and you are GUARANTEED admission to SUNY Downstate when you do apply. I don't know if that's only for NY Residents but that's something you should definitely look into.

Unfortunately I know nothing about LA. You can look on www.collegeboard.com for schools there. Click the college matchmaker.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you so much for answer.

CUNY sound like a good idea since it is a very big school and can probably offer me whatever I want. I have no problem with doing early or late labs, I usually study 7 am - 11 pm (I have achieved almost one bachelor degree in one year). 10k for a year sound very nice since I have seen numbers like 8k and 9k for CCs (international students).

So I understand California is quite expensive? But it can't be cheap living in NY?

Thanks a lot, I will look around. =)

Anyone know how much it costs living i NY? And how can I get hold of a place in 2 months?