College in High School Credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miggs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that AP credits are not accepted by medical schools because there is no grade for the course, but I completed a "college in high school" Biology 121/122 with lab. The class was through Syracuse University and I got a B+. My question is wether or not medical schools will accept this credit since when I have to apply I will send all college transcripts and that will be on there. If they do accept the credit I won't take the intro Bio course at my current university which is notoriously a premed weeder and go for an upper level biology course. I am planing on majoring in Biology or Neuroscience if that makes any difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Different medical schools have different policies on accepting AP credit. Many times, these policies are available online.

If you have a Syracuse transcript saying Bio121/122: B+, then yeah it will definitely count. If you don't have one and on your current college transcript it just transferred the credits with no grade, it won't count toward your GPA but might count toward a prereq. I wouldn't expect med schools to hold you to this requirement if you also take upper level bio classes with labs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that AP credits are not accepted by medical schools because there is no grade for the course, but I completed a "college in high school" Biology 121/122 with lab. The class was through Syracuse University and I got a B+. My question is wether or not medical schools will accept this credit since when I have to apply I will send all college transcripts and that will be on there. If they do accept the credit I won't take the intro Bio course at my current university which is notoriously a premed weeder and go for an upper level biology course. I am planing on majoring in Biology or Neuroscience if that makes any difference.

Medical schools do accept AP credits provided you take higher level courses in college. The B+ will count towards your college grades.

Medical schools do accept AP credits provided you take higher level courses in college. The B+ will count towards your college grades.

So if I AP'd out of both my lower and upper level english classes med schools wouldn't accept that? I know I got credit for the basic rhetoric class and then the advanced composition class. Sorry to hijack your thread btw

If it was done in a 4-year university and the university has your transcripts, then you have to put it on your AMCAS.

I took two college courses at a 4 year university the summer before my freshman year of high school. I submitted my transcript from that school to AMCAS, they accepted it, and the two schools I've been accepted by this cycle never mentioned it.

I got 60 Community College Credits during High School. Accepted in three Medical Schools so far. In fact some schools liked the fact that I was working hard during my high school years. Some of the classes were Bio I, Chem 1, Chem 2, Organic I, Calc I, Calc II.

I took the course at my high school but received credit and a grade through the university

So if I AP'd out of both my lower and upper level english classes med schools wouldn't accept that? I know I got credit for the basic rhetoric class and then the advanced composition class. Sorry to hijack your thread btw

They will accept them. English is its own category compared to the sciences. Can't you take another English course though?

It depends on the school. Some med schools won't accept any AP credits, others will accept them if they're not science courses, and still others will take any and all. Some require you take additional courses, some don't.

I'm pretty sure I APed out of our basic English class, but I had to take a lit class for my gen ed requirements, so I never ran into any problems there.

what do people think about something like this:
AP credit for gen chem 1 and 2 (2 semesters) which was followed by 2 semesters of orgo and one of biochem?
My boyfriend* had like a zillion AP credits for various prereqs, but followed up on all of them except for chemistry. Does it count as taking "advanced courses" in the class, since he took 3 courses that were past the course he tested out of even though most (all?) schools require 2 years of chem and he only has 1.5? Chemistry seems to really be the only subject where this situation would pop up, so I wondered if anyone else had any experience with it. Obviously he would check with the schools where he wants to apply before sending in applications without meeting the requirements...

*sometimes I feel silly coming here and checking all this stuff for him, but he doesn't do message boards and I'm addicted to them, so I guess I'm his proxy :rolleyes:

I never took an English course in college, and I still got accepted. Then again, I did take 2 "writing-intensive" courses. You'd have to check with individual schools to be 100% sure on their policies.

what do people think about something like this:
AP credit for gen chem 1 and 2 (2 semesters) which was followed by 2 semesters of orgo and one of biochem?
My boyfriend* had like a zillion AP credits for various prereqs, but followed up on all of them except for chemistry. Does it count as taking "advanced courses" in the class, since he took 3 courses that were past the course he tested out of even though most (all?) schools require 2 years of chem and he only has 1.5? Chemistry seems to really be the only subject where this situation would pop up, so I wondered if anyone else had any experience with it. Obviously he would check with the schools where he wants to apply before sending in applications without meeting the requirements...

*sometimes I feel silly coming here and checking all this stuff for him, but he doesn't do message boards and I'm addicted to them, so I guess I'm his proxy :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure they won't accept his AP chem credit, since Orgo and Biochem have very little in common with Gen Chem. I received >30 credits from AP courses, but the only courses I retook by choice were chemistry. I had to retake Gen Bio as well, but that was the school's policy for Bio majors. English and History I never touched again, but AP Calculus was supplemented w/ Calc III to cover my bases.

I'm pretty sure they won't accept his AP chem credit, since Orgo and Biochem have very little in common with Gen Chem. I received >30 credits from AP courses, but the only courses I retook by choice were chemistry. I had to retake Gen Bio as well, but that was the school's policy for Bio majors. English and History I never touched again, but AP Calculus was supplemented w/ Calc III to cover my bases.

D'oh! Nevermind. Just found out that he already took one semester of gen chem as well... :rolleyes:
He didn't think it counted because at the time he was majoring in chemistry and his advisor told him it wouldn't count towards his major because he already had AP credit...

Haha I know what you mean about English. I was playing a PG-rated version of "Never Have I Ever" when I was in college and I used "Never have I ever taken a college English class." And Never will I!

Last edited:
Question: I'm a junior right now, and my next semester of dual enrollment a my local CC will be in the fall (senior year). I will most likely be going to a state school for UG. Should I take Intro to Bio, Chem, and Calc at the CC, or will Medical school look down upon that?

I've heard that med schools like to see pre-reqs taken at 4-year institutions. However, it should be alright to take a few of them at the CC, as long as the majority are taken at a university.

As far as AP classes go, I had pre-req credit for Gen Chem 1/2, Gen Bio, and 1 sem of English. I took another sem of English and another writing-intensive course, as well as upper level bio courses (genetics, molecular bio, etc). However, apart from Ochem I took no other chem courses besides biochem (this past summer) and biochem lab (right now). My AP credits were never brought up in a negative fashion this cycle.

As far as AP classes go, I had pre-req credit for Gen Chem 1/2, Gen Bio, and 1 sem of English. I took another sem of English and another writing-intensive course, as well as upper level bio courses (genetics, molecular bio, etc). However, apart from Ochem I took no other chem courses besides biochem (this past summer) and biochem lab (right now). My AP credits were never brought up in a negative fashion this cycle.

Thanks! This is pretty much exactly the situation I was trying to verify, in particular wrt chem. Even if I don't need it anymore, I hope it's helpful for other people.

Of course, YMMV so anyone should definitely check with the schools they're interested in and make sure that orgo is the only follow-up class needed to get credit for AP chem as a prereq.

Yes.

Also, 42.

That's the answer.

I've heard that med schools like to see pre-reqs taken at 4-year institutions. However, it should be alright to take a few of them at the CC, as long as the majority are taken at a university.

It would depend on regional bias for state schools. I'm pretty sure most state schools wouldn't mind taking pre-reqs at a CC.

Thanks! This is pretty much exactly the situation I was trying to verify, in particular wrt chem. Even if I don't need it anymore, I hope it's helpful for other people.

Of course, YMMV so anyone should definitely check with the schools they're interested in and make sure that orgo is the only follow-up class needed to get credit for AP chem as a prereq.

If not, physical chemistry and inorganic chemistry are suitable upper-level substitutes.