College Life on Sleeping

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Tobtolip, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Tobtolip

Tobtolip Member
    7+ Year Member

I was just curious as to how much your bedtimes changed once you got in college. I dont know about you guys, but back in high school I slept at 11:00 sharp... now its more like 2:30 am =P

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I never go to bed before 4am :p But gracias a dios I don't have class til 12!

In high school I went to bed at 1 or 2, and I got up at 6

4. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    try to get in bed between 11 and 12 and usually wake up around 6am the next day.

5. Sammmeyeam

Sammmeyeam Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

A new study showed that people that got LESS THAN 8 hours of sleep (about 6.5 - 7 hrs) actually had a LOWER mortality rate than people that slept 8 hours a day...

So you may live longer if you sleep less... heh

6. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Sammmeyeam:
    <strong>A new study showed that people that got LESS THAN 8 hours of sleep (about 6.5 - 7 hrs) actually had a LOWER mortality rate than people that slept 8 hours a day...

So you may live longer if you sleep less... heh</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If this is true, I will live forever! The semester I took P Chem lab will alone add an extra year to my life. During that semester, there was one night a week that I didn't even get to sleep! I was happy when summer arrived!

7. Doc AdamK in 2006

Doc AdamK in 2006 Now 2 year UB Med Doc
    7+ Year Member

For the people that sleep less than 6 hours per day, do you workout or weightlift.

Just wondered.

AK

8. Zulq

Zulq Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey AK,
    I've found that after strenuous workouts or weightlifting you have to get at least 6 hrs of sleep to make sure muscle soreness disappears in 2 nights or so, and you're ready to go again. If I get less than 6 hrs sleep (finals weeks, etc), I have no energy for a strenuous workout and I have to settle for a half ass "keep fit" session. :)

9. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Zulq:
    <strong>Hey AK,
    I've found that after strenuous workouts or weightlifting you have to get at least 6 hrs of sleep to make sure muscle soreness disappears in 2 nights or so, and you're ready to go again. If I get less than 6 hrs sleep (finals weeks, etc), I have no energy for a strenuous workout and I have to settle for a half ass "keep fit" session. :) </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i remember those phys found nights. zero sleep...argh.. then i'd still crawl to the classes.

10. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm ok for a few weeks on 3.5 hours of sleep per night. I'm ok for a few days at 1-2 hrs. and I can survive long term on like 5 hours...

I N S O M N I A C ! ! !

11. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Actually, college has INCREASED the amount of sleep I get a night. But that probably also has something to do with my involvement in athletics. I don't know if physiological changes happen between the ages of 18 and 22, but man... I can't do the 3 hr. sleep thing anymore. When I was a frosh, I pulled all-nighters left and right. Now, I go to bed by midnight unless I have crew the next morning, at which point I try to go to bed at 10 pm. Gotta get at least 6 hours, and even then I'm not happy.