1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

College Life on Sleeping

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Tobtolip, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Tobtolip

Tobtolip Member
    7+ Year Member

I was just curious as to how much your bedtimes changed once you got in college. I dont know about you guys, but back in high school I slept at 11:00 sharp... now its more like 2:30 am =P

2. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I never go to bed before 4am :p But gracias a dios I don't have class til 12!

In high school I went to bed at 1 or 2, and I got up at 6

3. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    try to get in bed between 11 and 12 and usually wake up around 6am the next day.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Sammmeyeam

Sammmeyeam Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

A new study showed that people that got LESS THAN 8 hours of sleep (about 6.5 - 7 hrs) actually had a LOWER mortality rate than people that slept 8 hours a day...

So you may live longer if you sleep less... heh

5. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Sammmeyeam:
    <strong>A new study showed that people that got LESS THAN 8 hours of sleep (about 6.5 - 7 hrs) actually had a LOWER mortality rate than people that slept 8 hours a day...

So you may live longer if you sleep less... heh</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If this is true, I will live forever! The semester I took P Chem lab will alone add an extra year to my life. During that semester, there was one night a week that I didn't even get to sleep! I was happy when summer arrived!

6. Doc AdamK in 2006

Doc AdamK in 2006 Now 2 year UB Med Doc
    7+ Year Member

For the people that sleep less than 6 hours per day, do you workout or weightlift.

Just wondered.

AK

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Zulq

Zulq Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey AK,
    I've found that after strenuous workouts or weightlifting you have to get at least 6 hrs of sleep to make sure muscle soreness disappears in 2 nights or so, and you're ready to go again. If I get less than 6 hrs sleep (finals weeks, etc), I have no energy for a strenuous workout and I have to settle for a half ass "keep fit" session. :)

8. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Zulq:
    <strong>Hey AK,
    I've found that after strenuous workouts or weightlifting you have to get at least 6 hrs of sleep to make sure muscle soreness disappears in 2 nights or so, and you're ready to go again. If I get less than 6 hrs sleep (finals weeks, etc), I have no energy for a strenuous workout and I have to settle for a half ass "keep fit" session. :) </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i remember those phys found nights. zero sleep...argh.. then i'd still crawl to the classes.

9. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm ok for a few weeks on 3.5 hours of sleep per night. I'm ok for a few days at 1-2 hrs. and I can survive long term on like 5 hours...

I N S O M N I A C ! ! !

10. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Actually, college has INCREASED the amount of sleep I get a night. But that probably also has something to do with my involvement in athletics. I don't know if physiological changes happen between the ages of 18 and 22, but man... I can't do the 3 hr. sleep thing anymore. When I was a frosh, I pulled all-nighters left and right. Now, I go to bed by midnight unless I have crew the next morning, at which point I try to go to bed at 10 pm. Gotta get at least 6 hours, and even then I'm not happy.