College Major/Minor/Double-Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone explain the difference between a major, double major and a major/minor?

Thank you,
- Inex

Members don't see this ad.

A major is a field of study that you choose to go into during college.

A double major is two majors.

A minor is a like a "mini-major"

A major is a field of study that you choose to go into during college.
A double major is two majors.
A minor is a like a "mini-major"

Please explain further, and how to achieve these.

Thank you,
- Inex

Members don't see this ad :)
You just choose what you want to do in college. Like, biology or chemistry or english. Each of those is a major, and you have to take certain classes for each major. A minor is less intensive. Like, instead of taking 15 classes for a major, you take 6 classes for a minor.

Personally I like to use a website that I learned about last week to figure these sorts of questions out. It's called Google and you can get to it by clicking on this link: www.google.com

Type your question into the search box and often times you'll get a good answer

Tell me more, about this proverbial "google."

Thank you all for being so nice.

I know what a major is (I am currently in one), and half-way what a "minor" and a "double major" is. The thing is that I am not familiar with the system, and wondering how to aquire a major with a minor, and/or a double major - what is required to accomplish these, and definitions of these - and I was hoping that some of you guys had a good explanation of these things.

Thank you,
- Inex

Go talk with your academic advisor. He/She can help you more than we can because these things are school-specific.