College Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dahgame15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school student about to graduate in june. I know i want to venture off into the feild of medicine for my career. As for my college major i don't know which to choose. I feel as if i would do better in Biology Major than a Chemistry Major. I've heard that some colleges have a Pre-Med major. Is that a good idea to do?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a high school student about to graduate in june. I know i want to venture off into the feild of medicine for my career. As for my college major i don't know which to choose. I feel as if i would do better in Biology Major than a Chemistry Major. I've heard that some colleges have a Pre-Med major. Is that a good idea to do?

No one cares.

Most importantly, that includes medical schools.

Just make sure to do all your prereqs.

Search function brah. Use it.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is only like one school with a premed major and it would be stupid to major in this.

Pick whatever you would like to do. Aim for a high GPA in whatever you do.

Plus, most schools don't require you to pick a major on day one. Simply knowing you want to major in a science will be good enough.

Pre-Med isn't a major. It's a rough path you take towards applying to medical school.

Medical schools require matriculants to meet the following criteria class-wise (more or less):
1 year of Biology
1 year of Chemistry
1 year of Organic Chemistry
1 year of Physics
Lab for all of the courses above, but chances are it'll be integrated somehow.
Depending on the school, some may require more sciences. Ohio State requires anatomy and I know USC requires Cell Bio - so it'll be something along those lines.
1 year of English
1 year of Calculus

What this means is you can major in whatever you want, as long as you fill out the minimum criteria. Of course it's easier (that is, straightforward) if you major in a science, but it's not unheard of to have music, history, international studies or other majors end up in medical school as well.

Talk to your school's pre-med advisor as they will know more about what your school has to offer.

Your major is something that secretly doesn't matter. There are actually a whole bunch of things that secretly don't matter and a bunch of stupid things that secretly matter a ton. Welcome to med school admissions.

Your major is something that secretly doesn't matter. There are actually a whole bunch of things that secretly don't matter and a bunch of stupid things that secretly matter a ton. Welcome to med school admissions.

How is the fact that major doesn't matter a secret?

It's not a secret, it's just a horrible misconception fueled by people completely unaware of the medical school admissions process.

How is the fact that major doesn't matter a secret?

It's not a secret, it's just a horrible misconception fueled by people completely unaware of the medical school admissions process.

To the thousands of premeds who are misinformed it is a secret. And like you said it's way too easy to be misinformed when it comes to med school admissions.

Like everyone else said, it doesn't matter. Major in what you're interested in. If that's a sect of science, then do that. Keep your options open, though. You may take a GE in college that you fall in love with and decide to take that subject and major in it.

To the thousands of premeds who are misinformed it is a secret. And like you said it's way too easy to be misinformed when it comes to med school admissions.

Misinformation isn't a secret.

Also, I believe "your major doesn't matter" is listed as the first thing in 99% of the premedical FAQ sheets I've ever seen. If you are going premed and are in college and haven't read at least one of these:

28915167.jpg

Misinformation isn't a secret.

Also, I believe "your major doesn't matter" is listed as the first thing in 99% of the premedical FAQ sheets I've ever seen. If you are going premed and are in college and haven't read at least one of these:

28915167.jpg

Why do forums always focus on stupid semantics? You know as well as I do that it is a problem, no matter what term is used.

And the majority of premeds rely on premed advisors or other people who claim to know what they are talking about over online forums. There needs to be some accrediting body for premed advisors or something.

Why do forums always focus on stupid semantics? You know as well as I do that it is a problem, no matter what term is used.

And the majority of premeds rely on premed advisors or other people who claim to know what they are talking about over online forums. There needs to be some accrediting body for premed advisors or something.

Semantics? They're completely different things. Use the correct verbage. You wouldn't confuse hyper and hypotensive, would you?

Schools that are known for pumping out successful premed numbers tend to have good advisory committees that know what they're talking about.

Semantics? They're completely different things. Use the correct verbage. You wouldn't confuse hyper and hypotensive, would you?

Schools that are known for pumping out successful premed numbers tend to have good advisory committees that know what they're talking about.

The mast majority of premeds don't go to those schools so why does that matter... There is still so much misinformation.

Even on this forum you have to spend a pretty significant amount of time wading through crap to get to the good stuff. Not to mention that every tells you that this site is bad and you shouldn't go on it.

Don't worry about this right now. You'd be taking pretty much prereqs for medical school during your first year or so whether you end up majoring in biology or chemistry. After that time you will have a better idea for what you'd like to major in. My school and I know many others don't even require you to declare a major until you have at least 60 credits.

lol. Not sure if the misspelling is intentional, not to mention that the common usage of verbiage doesn't even apply. Sorry for the digression...

In this thread: people reinforce the SDN premed stereotype by arguing about grammar and usage.

Rofl

Distinguish yourself in any field of study that allows you to develop as a human, do well (good gpa) and take the pre requisites in a timely fashion. Neither a biology nor chemistry major is necessary. Do what you are good at and can excel in.

Your major does not matter to an admissions committee. A minor does not matter. I can not give you advice on a "pre-med major" (since I'm not exactly sure what is meant by this) but it will confer no advantage against another major.

I initially started as a Biology major, but quickly switched to Biochemistry. There was too much plants/evolution for my liking in the biology major (atleast at my school). Was much happier with the biochemistry content, however I had to study about 2x as much as my biology friends. Keep in mind with chemistry you'll have to take courses such as Physical and Analytical chemistry which are generally not pushovers. Luckily I was able to maintain a strong GPA, but it sure took a lot of dedication. You really just need to evaluate your interests. Luckily, you can change your major, however it really is only feasible early on.

Man do not major in either biology or chemistry for that matter. Major in something that you're truly interested in. I majored in Neuroscience. I wish I took the time to think it about and doubled major in econ and political science, but I don't regret my degree simply because it gave me a greater outlook in terms of how people think etc and I can easily relate that to other similar interests which is politics and the related fields.

Again I stress major in something worthwhile, while taking the premed prereqs - it will make college more bearable and amusing to say the least.

if and I emphasize IF....biology or chem is your desire do it, but def think about it - if your reasoning behind your major is for med school - don't do it

I majored in Philosophy, have a friend who majored in Interior Design, got another who studied Music, and we're all going to be doctors!

Do what you love, and do it well. The only downside of a liberal arts major is that you have to deal with a few sanctimonious engineers who think they are better than everyone else.

Adcoms won't care what you major in, but a few of them might think it's a bit cool if you're an English major! I know I got 2 who appreciated it, or at least said they did.