College Majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdsquared

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do med schools care what your major is in college? In my school I have the option of gettting a BS degree in natural sciences from the college of general sciences (CGS) or a typical degree like bio, chem, psy, soc, etc. from the college of arts & sciences (CAS). There are really no differences between CGS and CAS except that you are required to take an additional foreign culture and writing class for the CAS degree.
If I choose to go with the natural sciences degree from CGS I will be able to take more upper level science courses before going to med school. If I go with a bio degree from CAS I would have to stay in school an additional semester because I just started taking bio classes. Another option would be to major in psychology but then I would not be able to take upper level science courses as electives unless I stayed in school for an additonal semester and that would mean delaying med school for a year.
I know med schools would like their applicants to be well rounded and not just have a lot of science courses. I already have over 60 credits of humanities courses and by the time I graduate I would have about 80 credits of humanities if I chose to go with the natural science degree.

Members don't see this ad.

the med schools don't mind what your major is. as long as you meet your prereqs, then it doesn't really matter what you choose. just do whatever makes you happy. the med schools like to see different majors, cause it leads to diversity.

don't do what you think the adcoms want to see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by musiclink213
the med schools don't mind what your major is. as long as you meet your prereqs, then it doesn't really matter what you choose. just do whatever makes you happy. the med schools like to see different majors, cause it leads to diversity.

don't do what you think the adcoms want to see.

I've heard from multiple sources (don't know how reliable they are though) that adcoms like to see people with degrees in the humanities. But I agree, major in a subject you love. College will be a lot more enjoyable that way.

Dido to all of these responses.

Don't know how stringent your program is (in terms of sticking to schedules and heavy credit loads), but there's also a double major. I did a double in Sociology and Biology within four years. I really only picked up the Bio major b/c I had so many credits from prereqs and only needed one additional course to get a BA.

Just do something that will make you feel all nice and tingly inside, not give you heartburn.